not so sure about scoli sugery a ymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Linda

I had read the words "insane" and "horrendous" to describe the post-surgery pain and was scared out of my mind trying to imagine what it would be like to have such unbearable pain. I had never even been hospitalized previously. My pain was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. I experienced real pain the first time I sat up in the hosptal, but it only lasted less than a minute. Certainly, the recovery is not a walk in the park and I realize that I may be more fortunate than many since I've experienced a smooth recovery.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

hi again, first I have to tell jess- you made me laugh, about the military being disciplined & regimented! BWaaah!! Have you never read "Beetle Bailey"?? just as everywhere esle, the military takes all kinds- and I was definitely NOT "patton", I am more "Beetle Bailey" ;D

<still chuckling> as I sit in my PJs

Linda, Karen thx for sharing your experiences with post-op pain. I know, some days I really feel this neck fusion, other times it lightens up- but my post-op pain was more a deep neckache than a throbbing pain. so that is tolerable.

i have to keep reminding myself to take it easy, I'm doing laundry, cooking dinner, because -- I always have this sort of pain, I always hurt anyway and the chores have to get done- so it's so difficult to see myself as incapacitated. At first I was afraid of paralysis, now- I just wear the collar and go about what I have to do. today I will clean house. How am I supposed to recuperate? alternate periods of rest with mild activity? It is so difficult because the pain- post-op pain now 10 days post-op- the pain is the same as my usual, daily pain. <sigh> so it's easy to forget I had surgery, I don;t want to stress the fusion by being too active, I guess it's the type of activity: walking versus vacuuming, stretching versus doing laundry ( I hate bending over for laundry - need to buy the elevated stands for the washer & dryer). I don't know I feel so useless, I'm not takin narcotics very much because the pain is less than 5, tolerable. it still is miserable to sleep. I want to drive, I want to get out of the house.... oh, any suggestions on how to moderate my activity post-op? for those of you with chronic back and neck pain- to me, this is no different than my usual pain. thx for listening, "beetle bailey" signing off
      57 years old.
      thoracic curve 68 degrees
      lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
      Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
      Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
      THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

whoops...forgot about Beetle Bailey!
        well, i am glad you got a good laugh!
        sounds to me like you are feeling a little bit stir crazy....
        i get like that in winter....one reason why i miss Manhattan....
        it doesn't stop for snow or anything else for very long....
        New England, where i am now, the snow is still all
        over after it has disappeared from the streets of NY!

i think you should consult with your doc if you have any questions...
        you do not want to take any chances of starting any activities too
        soon...i cannot believe you will do cleaning....the surgery sounds
        like a great excuse not to!!!

jess

Comment

Scooter,
          I have the type of personality where I have to feel like I have to accomplish many things everyday. For several months after my surgery, I had to accept that in order to be 100% down the road, I had to ease up on myself and just take it easy. As hard as it is for you, please don't over do it. You certainly need to heal. I even let my husband do the laundry! My two miniature schnauzers are my babies and I wasn't given permission to walk them for five months and had to hire a neighbor. I often walked with them, but couldn't wait until I could get back to our regular schedule of two long walks a day. As hard as it is, try to walk, but skip anything else that would be too strenuous. You need to take care of yourself so you will be ready for your scoliosis surgery. I don't mean to be preaching, but I think it's important to do as much as your surgeon thinks you should do, but not to do more than you should. What is your date for surgery?
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
            today I will clean house. How am I supposed to recuperate? alternate periods of rest with mild activity? It is so difficult because the pain- post-op pain now 10 days post-op- the pain is the same as my usual, daily pain. <sigh> so it's easy to forget I had surgery, I don;t want to stress the fusion by being too active, I guess it's the type of activity: walking versus vacuuming, stretching versus doing laundry ( I hate bending over for laundry - need to buy the elevated stands for the washer & dryer). I don't know I feel so useless, I'm not takin narcotics very much because the pain is less than 5, tolerable. it still is miserable to sleep. I want to drive, I want to get out of the house.... oh, any suggestions on how to moderate my activity post-op? for those of you with chronic back and neck pain- to me, this is no different than my usual pain. thx for listening, "beetle bailey" signing off
            First and foremost, I would listen to your body - and i mean, really listen - rest when your body is telling you that it's tired; sit when you can to do things like prepping meals, folding laundry, etc. Prioritize what you NEED to have done and what would be NICE to have done with regard to housework and chores - - don't make everything a necessity. The laundry can wait - but if you NEED more clean socks, then do a small load....don't have this expectation on yourself that you MUST do ALL of the laundry that day. Also, break things down into smaller parts/steps or components...in fact, break everything down into smaller more manageable parts...for example, i go back to the laundry again - instead of putting an expecation on yourself that you need to do all of the laundry, ask yourself (given how you're feeling that day), "of the laundry, what do i/we really NEED to wear for the next few days?" and just do what needs to be done. The rest can wait. And if you have help, maybe that person (your husband/friend/etc) might be able to help you out. To save you from lugging a heavy laundry basket down the stairs, take your dirty clothes to the laundry room each day (assuming you have a laundry "room") - When cleaning the house, ask yourself which room absolutely NEEDS to be done (maybe the bathroom? the family room?) - then ask yourself, to what extent does it need to be cleaned? In the bathroom, can i do a surface cleaning and scrub the toilets or do i just HAVE to do the tub/shower and floor? Maybe just a Swiffer on the floor and a self-cleaning foaming spray in the shower (as opposed to scrubbing down the entire tub/shower). You get the idea so i won't beat a dead horse! Make things manageable for yourself and don't set too many expecations on yourself - instead, set a few "goals" each week (not each day - that creates too much pressure to have to do them THAT day!)...say for example, "By the end of the week, i'd like to have vacuumed the down/upstairs rooms" - maybe one room per day. If possible, keep a vacuum on EACH LEVEL of your home so you're not lugging it up/down the stairs. A detachable canister for steps is great too (I personally just got the Shark Navigator and it's amazing...all 12-lbs of it...detachable canister is a life-saver!). Heavy gallon of milk or juice in the fridge?? Split the liquids into smaller more light-weight containers or just BUY smaller containers (quart of milk vs. gallon) - put frequently used foods/condiments/etc within reach in the fridge eliminating or atleast reducing the need to reach/stretch/bend for them. And God bless paper plates! LOL! No one ever died from using paper plates for a few weeks/months. It's easier than loading and unloading the dishwasher or standing at the sink washing them individually.

I could go on and on...i'll spare you though If you want to email me, i'd be more than happy to help you problem-solve your way through some specific chores or household activities which you find most challenging/tiring. I hope some of the suggestions are useful or helpful. Good luck!

Michele

PS: i sent you a PM
            1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
            Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
            Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
            Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
            http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
            http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
            http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
            www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

thx guys!

Thx Karen, and Michelle, and Jess for ur kind words of advice - yes, Karen, I sort of feel like I have to accomplish SOMETHING during the day- something along the lines of washing & folding laundry, cleaning one bathroom,etc - it's nice to psychologically check off that one block, and have ONE household task done per day (at a minimum)> and since this pain is so familiar to me- I guess I expected the post-op pain to be diffrent? other than wearing this stupid collar, it's easy to forget I had surgery. Thnx to MIchelle, too- for the shortcuts! Some of these ideas I already pratcice <oof> but you gave me some new ideas, too! I am a fan of flylady (if anyone knows that method of cleaning) altho' I miserably fail to meet her standards. Still, it's a goal! the frustrating thing is: to be stuck home, unable to drive, and yet not sick enough to sleep. I did take both dogs for a walk Karen- I love my puppies, and they love walks- although the big dog pulls! she's my old dog, I love her and I can't leave her home and just take the "chorkie" so I take a pain pill and take them both- just around the block, I stay close to home, my back still reminds me I need the scoli surgery if I try to walk too far. It's funny, too how the narcotics affect your memory: I was reading Doreen's husbands posts, and so many of you commented that his posts his descriptions brought back memories of yoru own scoli surgeires. I was only hospitalized 4 days but the first day & night are still blurry- that's the effects of anesthesia I bet. I cannt remember being wheeled away- btu my husband said I was awake and waving to him. I can't remember making phone calls in ICU but people have told me - yes, I called them post-op. I still get hot flashes, too, when I do take the percocet. BUt i get pain relief,too, so I'll tolerate th sweat... it's just an odd reflection---> I think hte anesthesia causes the hot flashes, and I still nod off in mid-day, most days I get to a point where I cannot keep my eyes open, and have to take an hour long nap!!

well I better enjoy this time off work, and rest more, and enjoy my puppies.... hope everyone has a blessed Sunday! thx for sharing ur insights, very helpful! xxx jamie in Texas
              57 years old.
              thoracic curve 68 degrees
              lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
              Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
              Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
              THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Working...
              X