No announcement yet.

Recovery planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your fiance only works half days and you have a place to be secure while he is gone, you should be fine. I had someone with me for about three weeks, round the clock. Mainly to get me food the first 2 weeks or so and help me up and down the stairs for about 3 weeks. And showering. You can make it work if that's all you have.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I am four months post surgery. I really don't remember where the first month went. :-)

I think the sooner you can get off oxycodone (however its spelled) and onto vicoden, the better. I did the switch after about eight days--partly because of necessity to escape the rehab place from hell. The vicodin was a good substitute and it helped me have a better appetite and less output problems...although there were still some. I also had valium which I used mostly at night--it helped me sleep and it did get rid of the muscle spasms.

I would say you need someone there full time the first two weeks after you are out of the hospital. My husband teleworked from home for the first three weeks. I think you could make do with someone there part time by week three--if you are set up where needed supplies are nearby. My sister came week four when my husband had to go on a business trip. By week four, I was able to make short little trips--go out to lunch--but also had several naps a day.

I didn't start driving until two months post surgery.

The main thing is to keep reminding yourself everyday it gets better. Being prepared ahead of time with all the supplies everyone has mentioned is a must to making life easier those first 2-4 weeks.
      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
      Before and after xrays:
      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
      X