3 year checkup report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debbe--
    Oh, no! You've been doing so well and I hope this is just a very short temporary set-back. I know what you mean about zumba--it's now my favorite exercise of all. I do try to not get too jumpy with it but sometimes you do just get swept away by the music!! Take it easy and I'm sure you'll be back soon. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Ed, I agree, I don't think (hopefully) that it's a non-union; Dr. said the fusion looked good in November. It's just this irritated area of flesh underneath my shoulderblade that drives me insane. If the answer is shots every 6 weeks, maybe I'll do that. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to consider having the screw removed. Last time Dr. N said that we'd have to have MRI's, etc., to make sure this is the problem. Not sure if he meant other tests as well.

The naprosyn 2x a day is doing pretty good but the last few hours I start to feel it. Nothing like the sharp stabbing pain last week, but I know it's there.

I'll fill you guys in tomorrow night.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

For some reason I had a HORRIBLE night last night. Not sure what triggered it. So I was dragging on maybe 5 hrs of sleep when we went in for my appointment today. Dr. still thinks that a screw is irritating that area. They marked the spot on my back with a (high-tech, LOL) paperclip before an x-ray. Everything looks good and normal (no non-union, no shifting, etc.) The problem is around T9 or T10. Dr. said that to remove the screw wouldn't be that easy because they'd have to cut the rod above and below, and .....whatever else he said I can't remember. He suggested getting another injection, which this time took effect IMMEDIATELY! Knock on wood, so far so good. Hopefully this time it will last a while. If I keep having the problem, he recommends doing the injection along with a floroscope (anyone have that??)

He's writing me a letter to get out of some travel that I will have to do in April to the mid-west for an extended period (for work.) If this happens I get pretty incapacitated, and I'd be all alone out there.

So that's about it--fingers crossed. And I must say again, I am so happy that I have Dr. N for my doctor. He was definitely the best choice for me, and he's really going above and beyond for me (without giving details.) Thanks for all of your replies.

Comment

I had a Spinal Tap in 2002 for a CT scan and they had me lay on a flouroscope. It’s a hard table with the monitor up at the head. You can see your whole spine while laying on this machine and yes, while moving, which is pretty neat. The Docs can see where they are inserting the needle or stud. It’s a good tool.

Surgeons use flouroscopy when doing scoli surgeries. “C” arms and “O” arms. Its nice to see where you are going....

Glad to hear you ended up getting some relief.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

yup...all the time....
            pain management docs use a fluroscope for doing injections....
            sometimes i watch...except i can see how bad my spine looks...
            so then i stop watching...

glad Neuwirth is good for you, Deb...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
              Dr. said that to remove the screw wouldn't be that easy because they'd have to cut the rod above and below,
              Any idea of what implants they used?
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

just hoping for pain relief

Hi Deb, I am hoping this second injection will relieve your pain- I pray you won't need to remove the screw, and I'm glad Dr N wrote a work excuse for travel- ugh! I sympathize with you! It's so difficult travelling and trying to sleep without memory foam, plus having to be professional and work? no thank you... I will pray that this second injection is the charm- God bless! Jamie in TX
                57 years old.
                thoracic curve 68 degrees
                lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Any idea of what implants they used?
                  Hi Linda,

I have my operative report--it says Legacy Stainless Steel Instrumentation.

Legacy--to me when I hear legacy I think 'old.' Is this old technology? My surgery was Oct 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
                    Hi Deb, I am hoping this second injection will relieve your pain- I pray you won't need to remove the screw, and I'm glad Dr N wrote a work excuse for travel- ugh! I sympathize with you! It's so difficult travelling and trying to sleep without memory foam, plus having to be professional and work? no thank you... I will pray that this second injection is the charm- God bless! Jamie in TX
                    This injection seemed to work right away. I babied myself for another day then started doing more around the house. Yesterday for the first time I tried Zumba, but very very easy. It's not the bouncing that bothered me but all the arm movements. I modified as necessary. I was a little sore when I came home but then after a hot shower and a short rest on memory foam, I felt fine. Hopefully this will continue to improve.

My next challenge--wearing a BRA! haha I did zumba wearing a camisole with built in shelf. That's ANOTHER reason I wasn't so jumpy. LOL

Comment

I'm feeling so much better. Not quite my old self, but much much better. I'm doing things this week I wouldn't even have considered last week. Nothing exceptional, just regular stuff. I hope the goodness sticks forever!! Fingers and toes all crossed.

Comment

I am glad to hear that your injections helped you. Mine did as well. Lets hope that they continue to help
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                        X