No announcement yet.

How long before you can "sit" normal? Also a question about socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, when we looked at cars, head rests were bothersome. Not sure reversing them is a good idea if you get in an accident.

If you switch cars because of the surgery, you may want to wait until after the surgery to see what feels right...although I, too, have already become a part of the pillow toting crowd....
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Heated seats

For those looking at buying a car, I would suggest getting heated seats. They are worth every penny.

I have had many cars with heated seats, the best was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned years ago. I could scramble eggs in 30 seconds on the high setting. I also feel that the seats in that vehicle 1999, are the best car seats I have ever sat in. I’m sorry I sold the car......

Sitting normal?....What happens is a gradual improvement over time. I have a old Toyota truck, with a bench seat that offers no ergonomic qualities at all, and it took me about a year before I moved it. Now, I can sit and drive it with no problem, and with no pillows. The back eventually toughens up after time.

Cars with head rests set too far forward are a problem and I address this immediately upon entry. The head rest should not be pushing your head forward at all.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Heated Seats

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I have a 2000 VW Golf and when I purchased it used 10 years ago, didn't think I would ever use the heated seats. Since my surgery, they have been the best! I have turned on the seats in the hot Atlanta weather. I get out of that car feeling like butter : )

My mother has Honda CRV and the seats barely get warm. I would not purchase that car for that reason. Will get another VW Golf eventually and heated seats are a MUST!

Ed, I feel that since the curve in my upper back is gone, I sit much straighter and the headrests slightly pitch my head forward. I've read that new cars have a more forward slanting headrest to help reduce whiplash in accidents. I'm hoping I can find something comfortable when the time comes.
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          For those looking at buying a car, I would suggest getting heated seats. They are worth every penny.

I have had many cars with heated seats, the best was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned years ago. I could scramble eggs in 30 seconds on the high setting. I also feel that the seats in that vehicle 1999, are the best car seats I have ever sat in. I’m sorry I sold the car......

Sitting normal?....What happens is a gradual improvement over time. I have a old Toyota truck, with a bench seat that offers no ergonomic qualities at all, and it took me about a year before I moved it. Now, I can sit and drive it with no problem, and with no pillows. The back eventually toughens up after time.

Cars with head rests set too far forward are a problem and I address this immediately upon entry. The head rest should not be pushing your head forward at all.
          Ed
          Ed,

I LOVE my "Butt Warmer", I've had one for years and will not buy a car (for myself) without them! The headrest thing drives me nuts, it does push the head forward, It's horrible. I'm on the short side (5'3") and it just doesn't work on me even before surgery. My husband is over 6' and it works well for him.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
          X