Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacque's Mom View Post
    You'll need loose fitting clothes - sweatpants or dance pants and a button down shirt. NO jeans! Comfort is the key. I wish you ALL THE BEST! I'm happy you are having it done soon. My surgery will be a year December 7th, and I didn't mind at all not celebrating the holidays - getting my back better was the BEST gift there is. GOOD LUCK! LYNN
    Looks like I have some shopping to do! I also have a note to myself, that according to TiEd a bottle of magnesium citrate is a must have. Ed, how soon do I start taking that stuff? Is it pill, powder, liquid?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Kayde View Post
      That is fantastic news. Hopefully you can get the November date and get an early christmas present and start the new year with a new you. Looking forward to hearing the news
      Kayde, I'm going to take that perspective as an indication that you are feeling a lot better!

Another advantage to the November date is it means you have hardly any time to worry and start freaking out.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• Doreen,
        I was able to put shirts on over my head from the very beginning, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of button down the front tops just in case. I bought Sketcher slip on tennis shoes that I wore with jogging suits every day until we started going out to lunch or dinner. The Ketchers worked great for walking and no one had to tie my shoes for me. They were not the the ones without a heel where you could slip out of but ones that didn't have shoestrings.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Just got back from Walmart and picked up several jogging/yoga pants. I also got the special juice TiEd recommended. The pharmacist suggested I mix it with a sprite to be a tad bit tastier. I also picked up several food things that we like (bars, peanut butter, squeezable applesauce, etc.).

Kelly called from Lenke's office and said that the hospital (as far as getting tests done) is running on a half day schedule for Wednesday. All my pre-op will be Tuesday and final meeting with Lenke Wed morning. I'm a ninny when it comes to needles so Kelly said I'll get a special cocktail for when the central line gets put in Friday. I'll be sure to pack my Skecher slipons and my new slippers.

One of the docs called me today because I'm participating in the Lenke/Bridwell study. I need to do a treadmill test Tuesday. He said they like to see patients walk one mile in one hour. I told him no problem because I've been walking 3 miles in one hour. He said this will be a nice easy walk for me.

Off to sushi dinner with my daughter and then to pick up hubby from airport.

Warmly,
          Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Bras

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you won't be able to wear a bra for a while. I was about 2 months post op before I could wear one. Had to go to a job interview at 6 weeks but fortunately had a loose shirt. I wore tank tops underneath my clothes and that helped. I was home most of the time those first six weeks but once I started working, tanks with a loose blouse over.

I read somewhere on the forum that someone wore tube tops. Never thought of that one. May be something to consider.
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Don't forget about raised potty seat. That is not provided from what
              I've read here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              Last edited by TwinmomTN; 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM. Reason: Omitted word
              Pam, age 49
              Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
              April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
                Don't forget about raised potty seat. That is not provided from what
                I've read here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                Yes, I just ordered one and got it last week. ;-)

Warmly,
                Doreen

Comment

• One mile in one hour? Are you serious? Wow, I would hope we could all do that, and if not, I would wonder how we would fare with the surgery.

Of course, after walking one mile my left leg is screaming and my foot is tingly bordering on numb...but that's got nothing to do with my endurance, and I'm done in 15 minutes with stops for the dog to pee and sniff, etc....thank goodness for my elliptical trainer, my bike and my pool.
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8
                  Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                  Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                  Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                  Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                  Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                  Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• I've had an extremely busy day today; up since 5:30a, my daughter did an event with the Atlanta Falcons this morning, pulmonary function test, had to get keys copied, back to Walmart to buy button down shirts, pick up Rx, got car cleaned, daughter's French project wouldn't transmit to teacher, etc.

Pulmonary test results are within normal range. :-) Unfortunately, I've shrunk some more since I saw Dr. Lenke in September. I'm now 5'6", 4" loss this year. The woman who did the test had me stretch my arms out on each side and she measured me fingertip to fingertip which measured exactly 5'10".

I'm physically/mentally wiped out this evening. Hubby bought some wine which is quite delightful at the moment.

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• A four inch loss in height eh? That is quite substantial. My son gained four inches in height after his second surgery and I wonder if you will do the same? When we were at Elias' six month checkup at the end of October, he'd gained an inch and so now he's six feet tall. Just for fun I got her to measure my height and I've gone from 5'9" to 5'8" and I don't have scoliosis! It's age related apparently, lol.
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Doreen

You keep Magnesium Citrate around handy like Clint Eastwood did dynamite....When need be, he would throw a stick for effect. lol It’s a little slower, instead of 5 seconds it takes about 3 hours. It will save an embarrassing trip to the emergency room.

It’s a liquid sold over the counter that comes in different flavors, sold in a bottle that looks like a soda. Look in the laxative section. About $1.20 per bottle.

Wiki has a list of foods that will help in this matter. Sip on water all the time....
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxative

Opoid constipation is extremely painful. It seems that anyone that takes meds ultimately ends up with this problem to some degree or another. You can go every day and still get constipated.

One thing that happens when taking meds is you build up an immunity. After a while, its seems they don’t work as well anymore. I don’t know if this happens with Colace, but it sure seemed like that happened to me. I was told never to take x-lax.

If you use the Mag Citrate, you will drain your system of electrolytes and you will feel pretty bad. I used pedialyte to replenish.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedialyte

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Doreen,
                          Losing 4 inches is enough to tell you that you are making the right decision! I hope you enjoyed your wine!
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Doreen

You keep Magnesium Citrate around handy like Clint Eastwood did dynamite....When need be, he would throw a stick for effect. lol It’s a little slower, instead of 5 seconds it takes about 3 hours. It will save an embarrassing trip to the emergency room.

It’s a liquid sold over the counter that comes in different flavors, sold in a bottle that looks like a soda. Look in the laxative section. About $1.20 per bottle.

Wiki has a list of foods that will help in this matter. Sip on water all the time....
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxative

Opoid constipation is extremely painful. It seems that anyone that takes meds ultimately ends up with this problem to some degree or another. You can go every day and still get constipated.

One thing that happens when taking meds is you build up an immunity. After a while, its seems they don’t work as well anymore. I don’t know if this happens with Colace, but it sure seemed like that happened to me. I was told never to take x-lax.

If you use the Mag Citrate, you will drain your system of electrolytes and you will feel pretty bad. I used pedialyte to replenish.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedialyte

Ed
                            Is one serving the entire bottle? When should I drink it; while still in the hospital?

Warmly,
                            Doreen

Comment

• magnesium citrate

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                              Is one serving the entire bottle? When should I drink it; while still in the hospital?

Warmly,
                              Doreen
                              Hi Doreen,
                              That magnesium citrate is some potent stuff! I'm not sure when others used it, but I used it after being home for a few days when I found that MiraLax, Senna & other stool softeners weren't as effective. I believe the instructions state to drink 1/2 to a full bottle at one time. I was only able to drink 1/2 of the bottle and then the other half a few hours later. After it works, be sure to increase your daily liquid intake and watch your diet because those narcotics are tough on the system. Best of luck to you!
                              Donna
                              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                              Fused T3-L3
                              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

Congratulations on getting your date moved up--you will be on the road to recovery that much sooner.

Try not to get too stressed out about the last-minute preparations. You don't need to bring much AT ALL to the hospital (I used my toothbrush and my own undies/pads since I got my period right after surgery). Other than that you don't need much. Oh, bring some easy to slip on and off slippers or house shoes.

There is a long thread about bowel management post-op, you can find it if you search for constipation. It is definitely no fun. As soon as I got home I started Colace, Senokot and Miralax. I still ended up painfully constipated and needed mag citrate ("the bomb"). I stayed on all these laxatives for several weeks, then Miralax alone for several months.

I would also strongly recommend that your family get your discharge prescriptions filled the day before you go home, so that your meds will be available as soon as you leave the hospital, when you need them. My husband was given my discharge prescriptions but the mean hospital pharmacist didn't want to fill them because we live 2 hours from the hospital and the hospital pharmacy is out of network, so he would have had to pay cash for the scripts. Unfortunately my husband is not pushy enough in those situations, so we left Portland with no meds in hand, 2 hours since my last meds and 2 hours from home. I suffered extreme pain on the car ride home, so bad that my husband dropped me off at home to go to bed (my inlaws were there caring for me also). He went directly to the local Safeway pharmacy, but they balked at filling such large quantities of pain meds, and told him he should go back to Portland to fill the scripts! Then he went to our local hospital pharmacy where they filled the scripts partially, but by the time he got home with the meds my pain was extremely out of control and I was shaking uncontrollably and felt horrible. Just make sure you have plenty of meds in hand when you leave the hospital.

Good luck, and thanks for keeping us updated.
                                Gayle, age 50
                                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                                X