Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Competition - 2nd Place!!!!

I finished my 6 week archery training sprint which ended yesterday with me competing in a two-day tourney. Full details on my blog. I made a shot for all my scoli sisters and brothers! So many surprising things happened leading up to the tourney and during the tourney. This was an able-bodied event as not every tourney has para-archer divisions, so I was blown away when I won second place in the female compound division! This was my very first time competing in any sport in my life.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Super congratulations! That is quite a feat, regardless of scoli or not, but to do so considering all-- WOW! We are so extremely proud of you!!! (HUGE SMILE!)
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Great and congrats! What is most impressive is that you decided that scoliosis would not change your being competitive and you found a sport that suits your surgical correction and interests.
        Again, Go Girl!
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• What great news!!
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Congratulations, Doreen! I will have to check out your blog. You are an inspiration to so many on the forum.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Way! To! Go! =) Happy, happy, happy dance!
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Doreen--I find this absolutely amazing! You have done so well AND getting second in the competition. Congratulations. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Doreen,
                  That is fabulous news about your first competition results. It's so reassuring to all of us with that competitive spirit that there are other post-surgery scoliosis patients who are having success in competing. I myself have returned to playing in USTA tennis leagues and am looking forward to playing in the Kentucky district championships next month. Your recent success is a confidence booster for me! Thanks for sharing.
                  Donna
                  Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                  Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                  Fused T3-L3
                  60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                  Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                  http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Cervical surgery needed

Just returned from meeting a local cervical doc who said I have 4 levels of deterioration starting at c3-c7. He said I am way too young to have this much deterioration and would only expect to see this if I had previously broken my neck or had major trauma to the cervical from an accident. Doc said he's never done a 4 level fusion before and the only 3 level fusions he's done were on folks in their 60s and 70s.

I already have an appt with Dr. Riew in STL for late Sept; however, today's doc said my clock is ticking with how fast my numb areas are increasing and to get to STL ASAP. I'm waiting to hear back from Riew's nurse about a sooner date.

Local doc wants me to do a Myleo (sp? spinal tap in neck) and a CT scan. Doc said, "I hate having to do a Myleo but it is going to give me the best picture of what things look like inside." Quite frankly, I'm a bit nervous about local doc doing procedure. I'll ask Riew's nurse if I should do that here or in STL.

Doc said I can still train and shoot. He said I won't have any movement in neck after surgery aside for looking to left or right. Hopefully, I'll be able to shoot post op because all I need is to look left.

*sigh*

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen,
                      I've had a CT/Myelogram. It's not that bad. They took the spinal fluid from the lumbar and injected the dye there (yes they were looking at my neck, too). They tilt you and the dye travels up through the spinal fluid all the way to the top. I forget, are you fused to the pelvis? If so, that's probably why they would need to do it at the neck level. Then you go in for a CT scan. They kept me in the hospital for two days for observation, but I don't think they do that anymore, you'll have to ask them. I did get a doozy of a headache, though. That's the only thing I'll warn you about. Best wishes for you!
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Doreen,

I, also, had a CT/Myelogram. They are not that bad. After they inject you, they flip you around in order to get the dye all thru your body. I was in the hospital for several hours. You do need to watch out for a horrible headache. Thankfully, I did not get one. This was done before my first surgery with Dr Bederman. So to clarify, they are talking about a separate fusion of C3-C7?
                        Melissa

Comment

• hey Doreen
                          no, they don't keep you in the hospital anymore after a Myleo...
                          you just have to lay still for hours afterwards to avoid the dreaded
                          spinal fluid caused headache...
                          i was very nervous about it, but i lay still as i could, and i never
                          got the headache....went home in a cab (Manhattan) and lay still
                          some more til next day...it was fine..
                          they really do get amazing views of stuff with Myleo that they cannot
                          get with any other radiology exam...

hope you can get in to see the surgeon really soon.
                          jess...and Sparky

Comment

• I talked with Dr. Riew's nurse this evening and she said do not do the myelogram because Dr. Riew may be able to see what he needs to see on the MRIs. We head to STL in a few weeks and are hoping to schedule surgery for late July/early August.

Melissa, the local doc said I need c3-c7 fused; however, we'll see what Dr. Riew says. Where are you fused c2 - c7? Are you able to look left and right? How about up and down? How long was your cervical surgery?

Comment

• congratulations, Doreen...
                              surgery or not, you are one of the MOST able bodied people i have
                              ever heard about....
                              quite the achievement....
                              amazing!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• [QUOTE=Doreen1;150931

Melissa, the local doc said I need c3-c7 fused; however, we'll see what Dr. Riew says. Where are you fused c2 - c7? Are you able to look left and right? How about up and down? How long was your cervical surgery?[/QUOTE]''

I don't understand the question of where I am fused. I have very limited mobility. I can look both left and right for a few degrees. I cannot touch my chest with my neck nor can I finish a can or bottle of soda. My cervical surgery was about 4 hours

Good luck
                                Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X