No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about step aerobics? Not expecting miracles here, but will I be able to go back to class after a year or two? Or is the risk of falling still too great?

Thanks,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• I think they are about 3 1/2-4 inches, so not really high, but comfortable enough that I have danced in them.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
        I think they are about 3 1/2-4 inches, so not really high, but comfortable enough that I have danced in them.
        Good grief, woman! You're able to dance in high heels? I need to stay away from 4 inch heels now that I'm 5'10" again... don't want to be an amazon. Perhaps I'll start wearing my heels when I walk through the house to get used to them. LOL! That will be a sight.

Warmly,
        Doreen
        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Xray Feedback

Dr. Lenke's office called today and said my recent xrays look good. Yippee!! I asked if there will be any restrictions flying to France at the end of this year and I was given the green light to go. We booked an apartment in Paris; SO excited!

Warmly,
          Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Of All the Places in the World to Land...

Why did a bee decide to land on my back? My daughter and I walked out of a store and were getting into our car when Lizzie yelled, "Mom! There's a bee on your back!" Instinctively I start shaking my shirt but then realize it has a large cowel neck and a thought ran through my mind: What if I shake the bee into my shirt? So I stop shaking my shirt and told Lizzie to get it off. She said, "Let me find something to hit it." Another thought runs throw my mind: Will she really smack my back with something? Fortunately, Lizzie took, whatever it was that she grabbed, and nudged it under the bee and it flew off. We can laugh about it now but we were freaked out for a few moments.

Warmly,
            Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              Dr. Lenke's office called today and said my recent xrays look good. Yippee!! I asked if there will be any restrictions flying to France at the end of this year and I was given the green light to go. We booked an apartment in Paris; SO excited!

Warmly,
              Doreen
              What a thrill - An apartment in Paris!

Glad the bee didn't take offense to being moved on Doreen!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Doreen,
                Sounds like things are looking up for you, except the bee incident! I'm scared of bees. I think I'm allergic, but not sure, so I try like mad to avoid them. Oh, and I garden. LOL
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• Cleared to Walk Inclines

Dr. Lenke's office called back last night to answer a few more questions. Kelly said I'm allowed to walk inclines but to take it easy because it will hurt. I walked to the top of our street this afternoon and WOWZA! I'm hurting, it really wiped me out. My original plan was to walk to the top of my street once a day for a week or so and then extend the walk, but now I'm rethinking that idea. We'll see how I feel tomorrow because I wasn't expecting to feel this bad.

Kelly said the longest screws in my sacrum measure about 2 - 2.25 inches long.

We booked our flights for Paris today. We'll spend Christmas and New Years there. :-D

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Comment

• I Confess

I over did it today. Since rain is in the forecast for tomorrow
                    I decided to walk th hill to the top my street today
                    because it was warm and sunny today. The
                    problem started when I went to the grocery shortly
                    after the walk and as the cart became full with groceries it
                    was hard to push. I didnt realize this until I was almost done
                    shopping and asked Lizzie to push the cart.

We weren't out of the store when the pelvic pain kicked in.
                    As soon as we got home I went straight to bed to stretch
                    out. I'm feeling better so I'm definitely not walking incline
                    tomorrow.

Warmly
                    Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                      What about step aerobics? Not expecting miracles here, but will I be able to go back to class after a year or two? Or is the risk of falling still too great?

Thanks,
                      Evelyn
                      Evelyn, I am 48 and eight months post op. I started doing step aerobics again about a month ago. No problems!!
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Released for PT Exercises!

Dr. Lenke's physical therapist mailed me a handful of exercises I'm allowed to do (I'm 15 weeks post op today). I'm SO excited to do something other than walking! Today I did the following exercises lying on my bed using 5# dumbbells:
                        x2 sets of x10 reps presses
                        x2 sets of x5 reps flys (I was a little nervous about these but they didn't hurt)
                        x2 sets of x10 reps tricep curls

I also did bicep curls while sitting at the corner of my bed x2 sets of x10 reps.

I took a couple of days off from walking to the top of my street since last Thur and walked it yesterday. When I was done, I laid down for a little bit and had no pain in my pelvic area whatsoever. I plan to walk the hill on Wed.

Lenke's therapist also approved me to do small lunges which I will do tomorrow.

My plan is to walk the hill every 3 days (eventually lengthen the distance beyond my street), alternate upper body and lower body workouts every other day, continue with my 3 - 4 miles daily walking throughout the day/night at home and Sunday is rest day. That is my theory of balancing the walking and workouts so let's see how it unfolds this week. :-)

I'm starting to realize that walking and standing are more comfortable than sitting for a long period.

Warmly,
                        Doreen

Comment

• You are doing so well. It is exciting to be allowed to do some new exercises. Keep up the good work.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

• Silly Question

For those of you fused to sacrum, have you been able to sit/lay on a lounge chair while on holiday near a beach/pool?

Warmly,
                            Doreen

Comment

• Doreen--
                              Beach/lounge chairs are quite a trick. Be very careful getting on it so you don't end up on cement--chair and all. Once I get in position it feels fine on my back. I still can't do stomach sleeping on the bed but I have managed for short stints to lie on stomach with face basically flat, with a towel to pad it some, looking through slats at my book. Again be sure you are balanced getting in and out. Each year it has gotten a bit easier. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I didn't have a problem with a louge chair that had an adjustable back, but I was over a year post-op. I didn't attempt to lay on my stomach.
                                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                                X