Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so glad you are getting better everyday

Hi Doreen,

You sound better and better each time you post! Other than the scary blackout, you seem to be getting back into the groove of things. I'm so glad. Take care and keep on posting when you feel up to it Happy new year.
    30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
    08/03/11 - 54 degrees
    06/2004 - 33 degrees
    Don't like hospitals

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

Sounds like you are doing great by already getting out
      and about. Your blackout sounds very frightening. Something similar
      happened to me a couple of years ago when I was put on bp
      medication and it dropped very low during the night when I got up
      to use the bathroom. I passed out and hit my head on a glass shelf mounted
      on the wall. Had to have stitches in the ER at 2:00 AM in the morning.
      Pretty scary. So does the hydrocodone cause a drop in bp?
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Doreen, Hope you are doing Ok . Haven't heard from you in a while
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
          Hi Doreen,

Sounds like you are doing great by already getting out
          and about. Your blackout sounds very frightening. Something similar
          happened to me a couple of years ago when I was put on bp
          medication and it dropped very low during the night when I got up
          to use the bathroom. I passed out and hit my head on a glass shelf mounted
          on the wall. Had to have stitches in the ER at 2:00 AM in the morning.
          Pretty scary. So does the hydrocodone cause a drop in bp?
          Hi Pam

I don't think the hydrocodon by itself causes a bp issue
          but combined with other narcotics is when a bp problem
          can sometimes occur.

How have u been?

Warml
          Doreen
          Last edited by Doreen1; 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM.
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
            Doreen, Hope you are doing Ok . Haven't heard from you in a while
            Hi Melissa

I'm doing good, a bit better every day. I try to read everyone's
            updates every day. I return to St. Louis mid Feb for my first
            post op check up. I'm down to the lowest dose of hydrocodon
            and look forward to weaning off it at some point.

I've read posts and continue to pray for you. So you were
            a bit of a party animal on new years eve. :-)

Warmly
            Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              Hi Melissa

I'm doing good, a bit better every day. I try to read everyone's
              updates every day. I return to St. Louis mid Feb for my first
              post op check up. I'm down to the lowest dose of hydrocodon
              and look forward to weaning off it at some point.

I've read posts and continue to pray for you. So you were
              a bit of a party animal on new years eve. :-)

Warmly
              Doreen

Party animal that i was I paid for it on New Years Day. I slept from Saturday at 1:30am straight thur to Monday at 7:30am
              Glad that you are doing well
              Are you driving to st Louis or flying?
              Melissa

Comment

Party animal that i was I paid for it on New Years Day. I slept from Saturday at 1:30am straight thur to Monday at 7:30am
                Glad that you are doing well
                Are you driving to st Louis or flying?
                Wow - that's a looooong nap! :-)

We just booked our airline tickets. I ordered a few different inflatable pillows to try out before the flight to see which one(s) provide the most comfort.

Warmly,
                Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                  Wow - that's a looooong nap! :-)

Warmly,
                  Doreen
                  That has happened three times since my November 7th surgery. I am figuring that my fibro is kicking in when I push myself too much

How long a flight is it?
                  Melissa

Comment

How long a flight is it?
                    About 1.5 hours.

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• Suggestions for Traveling by Air

For those of you post-op, who currently have some pain after sitting for a bit, do you have suggestions on how to travel by air sitting in a plane more comfortable?

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                        I cannot sit for long even now after four years, but for some reason, I am fairly comfortable sitting in an airplane. I can't explain it. I try to get up and walk a little bit in the aisles and stand and stretch a little bit near my seat. I don't need extra pillows or anything to make me comfortable. It was eight months post-op that I flew for the first time after my surgery and I was never uncomfortable even then. Everyone is different, so my experiences may or may not apply.

Glad you are doing well.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Doreen,
                          I cannot sit for long even now after four years, but for some reason, I am fairly comfortable sitting in an airplane. I can't explain it. I try to get up and walk a little bit in the aisles and stand and stretch a little bit near my seat. I don't need extra pillows or anything to make me comfortable. It was eight months post-op that I flew for the first time after my surgery and I was never uncomfortable even then. Everyone is different, so my experiences may or may not apply.

Glad you are doing well.
                          Sally
                          Thanks for sharing, Sally. I must be feeling good tonite because I started straightening up a little bit downstairs for about an hour (only things within my reach) and managed to fold two loads of laundry (after Lizzie put the laundry basket on my bed so I could reach it).

I'm starting to get feeling under my right should blade. It it an odd to have random areas of sensation return to my back.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

• Doreen-- I haven't had trouble with the length of the flight so much, but with the shape of the seat... I would suggest taking a small pillow or at least a sweater or something that you can roll up and put behind your back/neck. I found that the back of the seat in SOME planes curves forward and without something to stick behind you, it's very uncomfortable. Good luck! Don't forget to wear shoes that are easy to take on and off when you're checking in...
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• 7 Weeks Post Op

Over the past week, I've spent some time talking with hubby about our time in St. Louis. Apparently, there are a lot of things I do not remember as hubby shared his recollection of my coming out of surgery and the days/weeks that followed. Last week has been my best week yet as far as weaning off Hydrocodone, doing more activity and I actually cooked my first meal since last year.

It is interesting to think about how my body feels post op compared to pre op. Pre op I felt the following pain every day: stabbing, throbbing, burning. Post op I can honestly say that I've had no pain except for varying levels of aches. The last time I saw Dr. Lenke during my pre-op visit, he said patients will fall within one of the three categories:
                              70% will have a decrease in pain
                              22% will maintain current pain levels
                              8% will be in worse pain

I'm SO RELIEVED I fell within the 70% group.

My hydrocodone intake has decreased from 9 - 11 pills within 24 hour period a few weeks ago to 5 pills within 24 hours. I'm finding over the past few days, I'll be busy with something and loose track of time and miss a dose. Since I'm not in "pain," I wait until the next dose when the aches start up.

Yesterday, I was in bed when one of our dogs came into my room and threw up. Fortunately, hubby and my daughter were home to clean it up, but how do people who live by themselves clean up after their pets?

I'm getting excited about my visit with Dr. Lenke on Feb 15.

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                                I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. It is good that we don't remember everything right after surgery and for a few days after. I am amazed at the people who can use their computers right after surgery. I couldn't even figure out my simple phone. All of our energy goes into the process of healing.
                                Gentle hugs, Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X