No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks so much for the update, Jeremy. We know this is a difficult time for you as well. Prayers for you both.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• The Big Day

This is posted to her blog but sharing it here as well:

Hello, everyone.

It is my honor to write this as Doreen's "guest blogger" while she is unable to post herself - I am her husband, Jeremy. This is one post but I have been writing it throughout the course of the day so the thoughts are fresh in my mind.

This morning went very smoothly. We both slept well last night (so nice when you place your trust in Him, as His yolk truly is easy) and woke up to the alarm and jumped into action. We already had things packed - Doreen had a bag with bathroom items and some clothes with lots of space for me to take her clothes back. I packed my laptop, a book, several protein bars and a bottle of water. I had a protein shake for breakfast (fast and easy) and we got dressed then called security to give us a ride to the hospital.

Security was there in a flash - the place we are staying (the Barnes Lodge) is truly a blessing. Friendly people, attentive staff, and very easy to move around the campus. We got in early and waited for the registration to open and were second up. It was straight from there to our "module" which was where s he was prepped. They hooked her up and took some blood (which was nice, because it could be drawn from her central line instead of having to stick her again) and then we waited. We met the team and they were all friendly and helpful. The fellow was a little late with the consent form but that was all in order and they administered the first pass of anesthesiology.

That was funny - I gave Doreen a kiss, she gave me a smile and her glasses, then the anesthesiologist asked her if she felt anything yet. She said "no" but then immediately her eyes started drooping and she was telling them how she did not want to be awake being rolled into the operating room. They told her she would be going under and may see a bit but probably wouldn't remember it. They had her do her wake up tests (squeezing a hand, moving feet, etc.) and rolled her away.

I was told my first update would come at 9:00am so I headed to breakfast. I had just loaded a plate when the beeper went off. I just set the plate aside and rushed back to the head desk wondering why I was being paged so early. It turned out they just wanted to get the pager back because I would be moving to the 7th floor waiting area and would receive phone calls or visits instead. So I dropped it off, headed back, found my plate and paid for it and enjoyed a nice breakfast. After that it was easy to find the waiting room.

It's very cozy here - no one else is waiting so I've got the room to myself. The wireless is good so I'm "dug in" and looking forward to the updates which I will share here. I'm actually surprised I'm far more calm than I imagined I would be ... but I've truly approached this in prayer and with the knowledge it is in His hands, and that has been more comforting than you may believe.

9:00AM Update

Received the first call. Just started surgery but everything is going well so far. Feeling good and making friends with ... the wireless (great connection here) and the coffee machine (great coffee).

11:00AM Update

Received the second call. Everything is going great. They are putting the screws in now and said it's moving along as expected. I'll call a few people with updates and then go get some lunch in the cafeteria.

Lunch was good - someone told me the South cafeteria is better than the North one and I have to agree. I got a spicy chicken sandwich. After that I realized it would be a few hours until my next update so I decided to walk back to the Lodge - it's only 5 minutes away - to drop off Doreen's items. It was a nice walk (yes, it is cold here but not raining) and felt great to get outside. I just dropped off what I needed and walked back then got settled again in the waiting room.

1:30pm Update

Thank goodness I feel relaxed and know Doreen is in great hands, so I was not anxious when 1:00pm came and went as I knew they would call when ready, and sure enough the phone range right at 1:30. Surgery is still going on as expected. Expecting another update in a few hours followed by a visit from Dr. Lenke after the surgery is done. Praise Jesus!

3:30pm Update

Received another call. They are closing her up, waking her up, and taking her to the recovery room. I should hear final updates and next steps in the next 1 - 2 hours. It's been a long day but so far everything has gone well. I'm looking forward to hearing the final updates and seeing her.

Thank goodness for books. Been relaxing and reading to pass the time when I'm not sharing updates on the phone or email.

4:45pm Update

Saw Dr. Lenke and he told me the surgery went really well - straightened her up quite a bit and she came out well as well. She is being moved to ICU and I can visit in about an hour.

6:00pm Update - We're Done! (Or, Just Beginning...)

We're done ... I got to see her. Obviously looking rough after a full day under and on her stomach, but she was lucid and could speak softly. She got to hear her mom and dad and daughter. The only hitch I know of is that she was feeling a lot of pain after the surgery. They didn't have the push-button administered yet and were working on it. I hope they can manage it but we also know it will get a little rougher before it gets better and are ready for the road ahead.

I left due to the shift change to grab a bite and update this. I'll go back to see her tonight and then visit in the morning. The surgical team will meet with her then and determine if she can be moved to a hospital room or needs to stay in ICU longer.

Thanks everyone, been a day ...

Jeremy
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Glad to hear that things are doing OK
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• thanks for all the updates...
          so kind of you to include forum!
          glad Doreen is doing well...
          i hope they get the pain under control fast...

jess

Comment

• Doreen,
            It's great to hear that your surgery went successfully. I hope your hospital
            stay and recovery go smoothly and quickly. Sending lots of good wishes!

Mary
            Fused T2-T12 on 7/5/11 at age 54 by Dr. Boachie
            Fusion extended to L4 on 9/21/11

Comment

• Thanks for the update Jeremy. Hope all goes smoothly for the rest of your journey.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Great to hear this news. Sounds like all went well in surgery. Now, once they get her pain controlled, it's just a matter of getting through each day, following orders and resting. Before long the days will turn into weeks and you'll look back and be amazed at how far Doreen's come.

Good to hear you're looking after yourself, eating regularly and hopefully, getting plenty of sleep. It's a stressful time for everyone but it will be well worth it in the long run!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Jeremy,
                  Thanks for posting for Doreen. I thought about her all day but knew she was in good hands. Hopefully, they have the pump for her so that her pain can be managed better.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Thank you, Jeremy, your blog is wonderful and I imagine it is therapeutic for you as well...I have been thinking about Doreen all day and sending her well wishes.
                    Stephanie, age 56
                    Diagnosed age 8
                    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• Great update. I'm glad her surgery got pushed up this far! I'm sure she'll do great and before you know it, she'll be on her way home for a solid recovery. Will keep her in my prayers again tonight for a solid recovery. Take care.

Comment

• Jeremy--
                        So glad to hear she is out of surgery and doing well. Thanks so much for your detailed update. I hope they control her pain as much as possible the next few days. Best wishes to you both. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Sounds all good--except pain~~

Sounds as though they did great. That first twenty-four hrs. can be tricky as far as pain. I don't care how well you took care of yourself before this surgery, the surgeon just woke up every nerve and muscle in your body! Each one screaming because they have been disturbed!! And they'er not happy at all~~~so time is what it takes, and the right pain cocktail to calm things down. Slowly but surely, it all starts to feel better than the day before, and so on and so forth. She's in my prayers tonight as always. You too Jeremy. God Bless~~Linda
                          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                          This started adult onset scoliosis
                          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                          May 30th 2013 revision
                          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Thank God she is doing well and I suspect she will come out of ice quickly. She has had much divine intervention. Just made sure she gets her pain meds right on time and the nurses won't let her sleep thru the next dosage time. I know it's hard to wake up a person in pain but the morphine drip only works if you are awake to push the button every half hour. Paiin and bowel control will be key to her smooth recovery. My nurses had a hospital corporate policy not to wake a person even if it was time for pain meds the dr prescribed. I didn't get my pain control under control till I came home really and by week 3 I was able to get off them. This isbsuch a stressful time for you and your family as it's hard to know what to do for a person during the next few weeks. Praying God will give you wisdom and strength during this time. I'm so excited for you both.

Comment

• Thank you, Jeremy, for the detailed update. I almost felt as if I were right there in the waiting room! I'm glad she's doing okay. You are both in my thoughts. Take care!
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Jeremy,
                                Thanks for the update. My thoughts and prayers were with you both especially as we there on the Barnes campus yesterday for my 7 mos. post-op appt. As we drove by the towers knowing that she was still in surgery and you were waiting on the orthopaedic floor, I couldn't help but flash back to my own hospital stay. May God continue to lead you both as you enter her first full post-op day! Please let Doreen know that we are cheering for her!
                                Donna
                                Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                                Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                                Fused T3-L3
                                60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                                Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                                http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Working...
                                X