The Date Is Set!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill

I am speechless with admiration! Not only of your contribution to such a fantastic group or your great voice and obvious talent ... but as much as anything because you are prepared to get “out there” and not let your scoli get in the way of living life to the full. Just wish I had been so confident at your age!

I watched that clip twice and promise I didn’t notice "the signs” which to be honest I DID spot when I watched again once I knew you were Mr Hoodie ! As someone said (was it you?) – we think our own problems stand out like a sore thumb for all the world to see when in reality it’s probably only us that sees them. I have a friend who is a nurse and I knew her for over two years before she realised I had a problem, even though, as she puts it, she is “in the business”!

Anyway, I think you are a fantastic guy and am sure you are going to do brilliantly once they stop shifting the date for your operation. I was going to say I hope it won’t spoil your Christmas, but somehow I don’t think it you will let it !

Just off back to youtube to watch some more of those great clips.
    Vicky

Comment

Bill--
      That video was truly awesome. My son-in-law in Minneapolis just left a similar group due to family, job, etc. was making it too difficult to continue so I love these kind of groups. I'll have to alert him to your group. Your voice is really wonderful. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Wow, that was an amazing performance. I have never seen anything like that and you have a wonderful voice also. I am sure you will be able to keep up once you are healed. It's not like you are doing cartwheels and such. Movement is good as long as you aren't bending over. Take care.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

2 weeks and counting... Any last minute bits of advice?

B

PS I'll write a proper post tomorrow when I will finally have a spare moment!
          Billy
          32 year old male from UK
          Fused at 25yrs
          62 degree thoratic curve
          45 degree lumbar curve
          Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Bill

Drink lots of eggnog. (Spiked, of course, it’s the holidays)

Take pictures of you back now. Once your fused, that’s it. I have no pics of my back before my surgeries.

Get a foam topper for your bed. 2-4 inches thick. Have 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate laying around just in case.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Just relax and enjoy these 2 weeks. They will fly by and you'll be in hospital before you know it. Don't stress or worry, everything will go wonderfully. Keep us updated! I think you should get the foam topper like Ed said, you'll be in a lot of surgical pain, so having that cushion will help when you're in bed. Get prune juice, seriously. I've tried laxatives/stool softeners post-op, and it didn't do a single thing. The pain meds make you constipated. But the prune juice is the best thing I ever got. Take a warm cup in the morning on an empty stomach and you'll be golden. Have a laptop or something so you can lay in bed and do things there instead of sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

Good Luck.

Comment

Oh my gosh, that video was great, all the talent there, esp your voice. Well done!
                BB - you're having your scoli surgery same day as my 14yo Jacob is (t3-L2). He's also a musician - pianist & drummer, they've joked he'll have a drum pad suspended over the hospital bed to make him feel at home lol. Positive expectations that both surgeries will have best outcomes & that you'll both be back to music & life before your activities before you know it. That's quite a list of activities for you - have you kite surfed before? It's on our to do list as we love to see them fly over the waves & calm alike here.
                Keep positive & enjoy your Christmas!
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! The foam topper arrived a couple of days ago and I'm just trying it out for the first time this second - I can see how it will help. I've been out to buy a load of Magnesium Citrate, prune juice, dried apricots and my mum bought some kind of Aloe Vera based drink which she thinks might help too. Overkill?

Time is moving so fast at the moment and I know it'll only get faster over the next week. Going clay pigeon shooting tomorrow at my family friends' farm then taking my girlfriend to the Brecon Beacons National Park in Wales for a few days before New Years parties and suddenly the op is there. No time to sort anything out! I spent an hour or two today just putting things in places I'll be able to reach so I don't have to keep on asking my parents! Was there anything you found important that you kept close by or left in a readily accessible place?

TiEd, great idea to take pictures before the op - I would never have remembered to do it!!

John, cheers for the advice. I think you're right that trying to remain relaxed is pretty important at this stage. I think I'm doing OK - perhaps a little frantic with the preparations but that shouldn't do me any harm! I never congratulated you for spotting me in the video - I feel like there should be some kind of prize involved but can't think of anything suitable.

LSKOCH5, thanks a lot! Never kite surfed before but it's on my list and my list always gets checked off!! Send my best wishes to Jacob for his surgery and be sure let us know how his recovery goes.

Had a wonderful Christmas today starting at my local pub this morning and continuing to eat and drink myself into a food and wine coma throughout the day! Now I feel terrible from my full stomach but festive and happy nonetheless! HAPPY DAYS!

Merry Christmas everyone!

B
                  Billy
                  32 year old male from UK
                  Fused at 25yrs
                  62 degree thoratic curve
                  45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Merry Christmas Buddy. I'm glad you're finally get the surgery. You have it all under control so far. Everything you listed is great. Have fun and enjoy the remaining few days with family and your GF and just enjoy everything. Picture thing was a good idea, I took pre and post op pictures and they are interesting to view. Be warned, your upper body will be stretched lol. I'm very happy you're finally taking care of your scoliosis and getting the surgery. I hope all goes well and you live a very happy and successful life. I've kept you in my prayers. Good luck man, and I can't wait to hear from you from the other side.

Comment

• Hi Bill,

Merry Christmas to you and best of luck with your surgery. I am sure you will come through with flying colors.

I really loved your video, and enjoyed several of your group's others, too. You have an amazing voice! It was fun to see you performing.

Let us know how you're doing,
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Please keep us informed about your surgery
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Couple of last minute questions...
                          Starting to get a little apprehensive - any of you have a method or two to manage the nerves?
                          Also, are pre meds obligatory or can you choose not to have them? Would you recommend them?

Hope you're all well.

B
                          Billy
                          32 year old male from UK
                          Fused at 25yrs
                          62 degree thoratic curve
                          45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

• Originally posted by BendyBill View Post
                            Couple of last minute questions...
                            Starting to get a little apprehensive - any of you have a method or two to manage the nerves?
                            Also, are pre meds obligatory or can you choose not to have them? Would you recommend them?

Hope you're all well.

B
                            Bill,
                            I listened to relaxation tapes and very relaxing music. I also wrote down some of my thoughts and fears and totally put my trust in God. I don't know what you mean by pre meds, but I took Ambien for sleep the last week or two before my surgery.
                            Best wishes for a good outcome for your surgery.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• If by pre-meds you mean the little relaxation tablet they give you just prior to surgery, I have to say, go for it! I was not overly nervous but had planned on asking for one, on the recommendation of someone else. There was no argument, they brought me the tablet and I went off to sleep. I wasn't aware of going in to OR, the time in the OR before anaesthesia or anything else. I highly recommend it.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Bill,
                                I don't know where I have been, but I just now noticed all of the references to your video and went through the blogs to find it. I would not have been able to pick you out as the one with scoliosis. I loved the creative music of your group. You have a really nice voice. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X