Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery recommended - waiting a year - but so nervous about it all and how to prepare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to finally stop thinking of what it will do TO me and focus on what it will do"

What a powerful line that one is! I definitely need to change the focus. I am spending way too much time thinking of all the ways my life will change post surgery (and not looking at the cup half full) and the what ifs that can happen. e.g. - Will I only need one surgery? Will it work?, etc., etc.

You sure have the right attitude and it will help you in your healing in every way.

Comment

Another quick tip...keep your legs in shape for the upcoming surgery!

You will do lots of squatting since you are unable to bend over for awhile. Once you are stronger, it is much easier to squat and have your hands free to grab. You may not be able to bend to pick up that cat dish at first, but you can eventually squat. I was amazed at how hard that was to do after surgery... And going into it, I had really strong quads from lifting freight every day with my legs instead of my back. After surgery, I had to pull myself up with the counter for quite awhile.... Until then, you and your grabber will become very good friends!

And my life hasn't changed so much...except for the better! I still do pretty much what I want to do, minus the pre-surgery pain!
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

"I will learn how to dance with a new spirit" should be on a poster. Could be the mission statement for this forum! Anyway, I just wanted to give you some more words of hope and encouragement. I am fused to the sacrum and I truly feel as though as I have been given a new lease on life. To me, this last year and a half of living without pain has more than made up for those rough early weeks. It was the scariest thing I have ever done, but I am so glad I had the courage to do it (and that I had people on this forum supporting me the whole time.) Yes, I am having a "screw removed" next week so there is a little bit of that "deja vu surgery" thing going on, but even that has not been a major issue. I am a changed person in a lot of ways because of this surgery and it's all been for the good.
        When you're in recovery, you learn to ask people for help, you find new ways to do things and you slow down and see life from a whole new perspective. (One suggestion--don't try to carry a pet's full water bowl with grabbers! )
        Try to learn as much as you can, do your research, talk to people on the forum, get opinions from the best Dr.'s you can find and try not to let some of the scary internet stuff get to you.
        Wishing you the best in your journey!

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Terri
          Even though squatting seems to be something we master after our surgeries, and all this talk about dealing with cats, I remember someone who fed her cats on top of the fridge. She did this due to her dog who was scarfing the cat food. The cats will adapt and jump up and down, you would be surprised what they do and where they go when you are not home.(Bad kitties!)

Judy
          Yes, having a good attitude about this is mandatory. Knowing what could happen is also important....
          With all the pain, you always think about the future, a positive future, looking forward and never looking backwards. There are hills to climb, the hills of recovery, but you get over them and become quite a seasoned climber. After you do your surgery, you will understand what I’m saying.

Like Jenee said, the grabber’s are valuable. Don’t buy them, your insurance company will do that. BBQ tongs and long salad tongs work well also.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
            (One suggestion--don't try to carry a pet's full water bowl with grabbers! )
            A small watering can works great for filling water bowls.

Warmly,
            Doreen
            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X