Post Surgery Chart-Fusion to Sacrum Category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sally,
    Thanks for the information about the bike and tennis. I know I will need a new bike for next year. I have my 9-month post op with Dr. Rand on September 8. I haven't played tennis in years because I couldn't stand long enough. Now, I can stand but am concerned about the bending and twisting. I've been very cautious about these two things.

Karen,
    I think you are wise to wait with the bike riding for this year, except for a stationary bike. Again, thanks for the chart.

Comment

Originally posted by backissues View Post
      Karen,
      Thanks for the chart. I believe Dr. Rand is a bit more conservative with the timeframes.

That's great about your riding a bike. I was staying away from biking, sailing, and kayaking until next summer. What kind of bike do you have? I understand that I will need a "comfort" bike where I sit up in the seat more than the bike I currently have. For the past years, I have needed to lean over and currently have a touring bike.

On this site, I have never heard of anyone playing tennis after fusion surgery. I guess I had crossed that off my list. Maybe, I can reconsider?

Keep up with all your activities. It's a great inspiration.

Enjoy!
      With his youthfulness advantage, my 19 year old son who is fused from T5-L3 has been playing both competitive and recreational tennis for the past couple of years. When he returned to the courts, he played singles hoping to return to his pre-surgery playing level. However, reality set in, and he is now content playing doubles. With my son as my inspiration, I am hoping that in the year 2013, I will be able to play again. (Perhaps by then too, I may have a different sense of reality. But for now, I am still clinging to that dream of playing tennis again.
      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
      Fused T3-L3
      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
        Rebecca,
        You will love the pool. I am taking water aerobic classes but I don't twist, do crunches, or kick backward. I've been doing the breast stroke, but don't arch my back. These were the precautions that Dr. Lenke's PT told me. The water is warm and feels great! We use water weights in the classes which you can probably find online.

Thanks Karen! I have done water exercises, and it's amazing how much that water relieves the pressure on your spine. But I haven't actually done laps or anything...which is a very strange summer for me. Living in FL my entire life, I don't think I've ever gone a whole summer without swimming! I am looking forward to having a place to start doing it regularly in my backyard. Thankfully, as it's still between 95-100 degrees here, I've got a few more months of good swimming weather.

Thanks again! =)
        Rebecca
        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
        wore night bending brace as teenager
        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
        fusion L2-3 November 2008
        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior