Which approach seems better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    The lowest vertebrae articulate approx 20 degrees each. Not all vertebrae have this figure, just the lowest 2.

I cannot reach the floor, I can get to about 3-4 inches from the floor. I stood next to a scoli I know who has her lowest untouched, and she can reach the floor.

Ed
    There are some folks fused to S1 who can touch the floor. I think it depends mostly on how flexible the hips are and how tight the hamstrings are.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda

You are right. If I stretched more, I could make it....it wouldnt be easy. I know I wouldnt want to have another one of those "soft tissue injury" events again.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hi ripley
        my question to you was whether you were concerned about how low to the sacrum or how high on thoracic the fusion would be.....
        i guess your reply tells me that you are worried about both...
        i am primarily concerned with how low my fusion would have to be...
        it would have to begin at either T 11 or T 4...i do not know how much that part of it matters to me...but that just might be ignorance on my part...

i wish you luck in your decision....i know sometimes surgeons give their patients a choice in some of these matters, or, when picking a surgeon, a patient is actually making that choice by what the surgeon is convinced is right for them....

what i would suggest to you is to get more consults...that way you can see if there is a majority opinion of the top surgeons that you consult with..
        also, i think with younger patients, surgeons often opt for the shorter fusions when possible....but the older we get, i think the higher the risk of hurting our backs anyway....at least, that is my opinion...i know my scoli was quite manageable.. until i herniated discs...then all heck broke loose!

best of luck with whatever you decide...
        jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Boy, I must be doing something wrong. I can't get more than 2 or 3 inches past my knees if I keep my knees straight. It's not changed much at all over the last year or so. I exercise all the time; maybe I should concentrate more on stretching. I Can most people get near the floor who are fused to S1? Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thankful it was not my decision

I totally trusted Dr. Lenke and never questioned the vertebrae that he thought should be fused even though I was aware that the lower the fusion, the less flexibility. I am almost 7 months post op and I can honestly say that I don't think my quality of life is the least bit compromised. I know in will have a slightly different golf swing and that I probably won't be able to swing my hips as much in my tap dancing class, so to me it has been a minor sacrifice for a straight spine, no rib hump, and no worry of curvature progression.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
              Boy, I must be doing something wrong. I can't get more than 2 or 3 inches past my knees if I keep my knees straight. It's not changed much at all over the last year or so. I exercise all the time; maybe I should concentrate more on stretching. I Can most people get near the floor who are fused to S1? Janet
              I think anyone including folks fused to pelvis can stretch the hamstrings enough to eventually touch the floor.

But you should be aware that some percentage of scoliosis patients have some associated connective tissue issue that lets them lay their hands on the floor with straight legs and without any stretching. So you shouldn't compare yourself to random other patients.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi everyone. I suppose more consults are necessary. Sounds like flexibility when fusing to sacrum varies per individual. I didn't realize there would be more pain when going higher. However, I do tend to lean toward the longer fusion so as to avoid future problems. Thanks to all for the input!

Comment

Janet, me too. If I stand with my legs together and bend, I can reach maybe 3 inches below my knees. But it doesn't stop me from picking things up off the floor. I spread my legs apart, a bit like a giraffe and swing down from my hips.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer--
                    Glad I'm not the only one! I definitely get whatever off the floor. It ain't pretty but I get down there. The giraffe analogy might be pretty close! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by ripley View Post
                      Hi everyone. I suppose more consults are necessary. Sounds like flexibility when fusing to sacrum varies per individual. I didn't realize there would be more pain when going higher. However, I do tend to lean toward the longer fusion so as to avoid future problems. Thanks to all for the input!
                      Just wanted to throw it out there, I had really bad shoulder pain, in both shoulders before the surgery...for years and years, even before I had the herniated disc/nerve pain in my legs. It was always bothering me, it even made it hard to sleep/get comfy at night. My surgeon thought it was in relation to my rotation up top, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm fused all the way up to T4 and my shoulder pain has been significantly reduced post-op. I was worried pre-op about the surgery making it worse, but it turns out all that worry was for nothing. I still have a shoulder that is tighter, and gets sore more easily, but the stronger I'm getting and the further post-op I get, the better it's feeling. I also get a gentle massage every other week, and that has helped my muscles relax quite a bit in my neck/shoulders.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there, so you know not everyone who has a high fusion has worse pain up top. Just wanted to encourage you!
                      Rebecca
                      Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                      wore night bending brace as teenager
                      Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                      herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                      fusion L2-3 November 2008
                      Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                      Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                      Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                      gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                      Before and After X-rays
                      My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay, I am fused T-10 to S1.I had to try it and I can only bend to my knees.I better start stretching
                        Aug.17,09 Anterior
                        Aug.20,09 Posterior
                        Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                        Cedars-Sinai
                        Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                        Husband married 30 years
                        3 kids 29,28,25
                        4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Working...
                        X