No announcement yet.

how long to wait for fusion..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you. I am just wanting to focus on getting well, and filing a complaint against a dr hasnt been a priority. Its been suggested but I dont need the stress. I need help with the pain. and symptoms.
    I did actually see a TC Spine Center dr and was really disappointed there. The dr was top of the ladder and didnt help me with any of my symptoms or pain, told me to hang in there, take whatever meds helped, and deal with the pain, and that my surgeon had been his "partner" for a while. After my apt at the TC Spine Center I lost any faith I had left in the medical system here in MN.

Comment

I agree with the others about going to the Mayo clinic. You have too many untreated symptoms and need a really good doctor to work with you.

I grew up in the Twin Cities--isn't Spring Lake Park just an outer suburb of the TC? Rochester is two hours away: for everything you are dealing with--certainly this would be worth setting up an appointment and talking to one of the doctors there.
      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
      Before and after xrays:
      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your problems.

My understanding is that drs can see fusion from a CT scan and not an X-ray. Also, I won't be having a CT scan for 9-12 months post-op to check for fusion. However, there are times when I feel like I have a baseball bat in my back and other times when I don't feel anything.

I know of a person whose implants broke. She lived in Colorado and needed to find someone to fix this. She didn't want to go back to the original surgeon. The only person who would touch her was Dr. Boachie in NY. This was about 10 years ago. Now, she is fine. She is fused from T2 to the sacrum.

Good luck! You are in my thoughts and prayers that you find a solution and feel better.

Comment

I would love to go to the Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately my insurance doesnt cover them.T Also, the Mayo Clinic requires a referral from your specialty dr ( ex surgeon or other ) to get in. They decide if they will take you, and I have heard it is a year long wait too. Each time its suggested I get a little sad. I will be able to change my insurance end of the year.
          I too, besides all the other symptoms, have this pressure like pushing feeling at the end of my rod at t-11 or 12. Very painful. It clicks when I move. It feels like there is actually bone missing when I run my fingers across it theres a dip. I have a deep area now at the top of the rod as well, just above it thats developed. Above t-2 where the rod begins, its changed and there is a very deep area there. Also feel movement like a click in that area.

Comment

My surgeon recommended a bone growth stimulator, beginning two weeks after the surgery. Here's the one that I have:http://www.orthofix.com/patients/bio_spinal_stim.asp

Here are details of how it works:
            http://www.bonestimulation.com/spina...qualities.html

If you click on the clinical success link, it discusses the use in failed fusion, a bit. I don't know more about it all than what the surgeon's told me and what I've read there.
            Diagnosed at age 13
            Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
            Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
            Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
            Post surgery 26 degrees
            Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

I used a bone growth stimulator for a month. april 2- to may 20. It was really painful wearing it but I never missed a day 4 hrs a day . I dont think thats normal for it to increase pain, but things havent been normal for me. Pain was so bad couldnt wear it anymore. I look at it and wish I could wear it now, but pains just too much to put it on. Mine is sort of heavy, and is hung over the body and held with 2 straps over the shoulders because my fusion is all thoracic.

How would a person go about requesting mayo to look at my case? Would I need to send all my medical records and write a letter ? I wouldnt know where to even begin.. I called May a while back and they said a letter request needs to come from your dr, and they decide if they approve the request. Right now I dont have a regular family dr, am seeing a PA who is just coordinating my care and helping with pain management. Ive seen many drs without answers though..

Comment

I did talk to someone at mayo Clinic intake line and thats what they said. A physicians referral letter, and for me I would need a pproval from my insurance through a letter from a dr as well. I did see that self referral on their website too before. I wondered about it. Not sure if you can actually get right in doing that or not. Thank you for your suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                X