Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, surgery date Feb 23. Terrified.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Lily. There is nothing like a child around to help lift your spirits after surgery.
    You are lucky already and you will get through the waiting, surgery and recovery with flying colors.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

1. Did you find that you needed 24/7 help the first two weeks? What did you mostly need help with?

I had t3-t12 surgery 10 years ago, at 30. I stayed with a friend for a week (was single then), and needed some help but definitely not 24/7. Mostly lifting things, an arm to lean on some times.
      2. How long before I can shower?
      Was a week for me. Two words - dry shampoo. Look into it!
      3. How long did you stay in the hospital? They're saying 5-7 days and I am shooting for 4.
      Out on day 4
      4. How long was your surgery and how complex? The OR is booked for 5 hours.
      5 hours, posterior only.
      5. When did you return to work? I have a 2 hour commute by train but am hoping to telecommute at 8 weeks. Is this reasonable or a stretch? I have a desk job.
      PT after 3 weeks, FT after 4. Desk job, was tired but had no problems.
      6. Was there anything that was good during that first 3 months?
      Yes, most things. Recovery was very smooth, little pain, went for long walks after the first week, ate good take-out, read good books, watched movies.
      7. When did you first feel glad that you had done this? I don't know that I will ever feel that way, as for me, I don't know that I will ever be able to quantify what I have avoided by doing this.
      A few months later. I didn't have the level of pain you have, but I wanted to do it sooner rather than later while I was healthy. It was smooth and easy. I sometimes wish I had waited until the newer minimally invasive or front/back approaches were more established so I could have done those, but otherwise no regrets.

Comment

The only other thing I would say is that recovery from surgery is a good time to let go of control. You can't control how you're going to feel, and you have only some control over how your recovery goes. I know it's hard to let go of that, and to let yourself be helped, but it's not the time to be type A. However it goes for you - and it will likely go quite well - the most important things while you recover are to relax, rest, do your pt, and take it easy. As a friend told me before I had my surgery - think of it as a nice long vacation with an unpleasant task at the beginning.

Comment

Thanks Diane - that is a good way to look at it.

I really believe that the waiting is worse than the rest. I just want to get there, get the Versed, wake up and move all 10 toes, then get up the next day, and I want to walk the hell out of that hospital within 4 to 5 days. My surgeon said 4 is unlikely but we can shoot for it. I'll give it five. After that I may start freaking. I want to get home and get past all of this so that I can move on with my life.

I can't believe it's only been 45 days since I first found out I needed this surgery. It had never been even a possibility until then. Truly, my hat is off to those of you who sit with months and months of waiting for this surgery. That would drive me mad.
          Female, age 38
          4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
          currently 64*upper/40*lower
          Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
          now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I love Diane's advice to call it a vacation in those early weeks. Consider it a vacation from all your usual responsibilities. I enjoyed my time off recovering, I absolutely did completely capitulate. It was weeks before I had the urge to peel a potato or put the laundry on. After always being in control from years of single motherhood, I was the one who planned everything right to the nth degree, I need order and sanity and never thought anybody else could manage that! Well, my partner was a bit slack with the ironing and the vacuuming (he continued working full time) but I couldn't have cared less. It wasn't my worry! I just slept and slept and slept. And walked and ate! It wasn't an awful time because I was able to..capitulate!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My experience was very much like Jennifer's. I always needed to be the one in control of things after 4 daughters and teaching for 35 years. I was worried sick that there was no way my husband could handle it. It was amazing how he stepped up to the responsibilities. Not always like I would have done it--but I didn't care! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Janet - <smiley face> and <thumbs up> (my emoticons don't work!)
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X