No announcement yet.

a little cheese to go with my whine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll on the ct. Let's get this show on the road!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

A "personal cheering squad" helps more than words can convey!! I appreciate every single kind thought and good wish that anyone here takes the time to type.
      I'm taking it easy today, avoiding the promised blizzard (I live less than 100 mi north of Chicago, on the IL/WI border), and trying to wrap my brain around what I saw on yesterday's x-ray: my thoracic curve looks pretty much back to its 86*, pre-fusion surgery, and I guess the lumbar is about as bad as it was, too. I have to wonder why I didn't fuse? I followed instructions to a "T". Also, I'm gearing up mentally for the fact that I get to go through it all again, as soon as I can get on the OR schedule.
      Now, personally. . .if I were to be "unique" (as the dr said yesterday). . .I'd prefer to be unique in a different way. . .like in. . ."she won the lottery three times in a row". . .or "she just woke up one morning with a body like a SI swimsuit model". . .something like that.
      Last edited by mgs; 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

mgs--
        I agree! I like those unique options. Glad to see you still have a great sense of humor. I hope things can get straightened out for you--literally! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Glad the ball is finally rolling. Keep us posted!
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

question

I read your story last night and could not stop thinking about the two women your husband heard of that ended up crippled....can you give details? Im hoping that they had their surgeries a long time ago before advances were made. That is what scares me the most about all of this. Thanks. Hope you are feeling ok today.

Sarahcant
            T 38
            L 70
            waiting for surgery March15
            Dr. Erricco NYU
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

hi mgs
              i think i misunderstood your earlier post...it sounds as if you have sufficient pain meds from your doctors for now...at least, to help with the pain til surgery can be scheduled...
              i am so sorry you are going through all this...just another example of how unfair life can be, especially when you say you did everything the right way!

i have not had surgery..yet...but i can sympathize with being in constant pain..
              i take 30 mg oxycontin on "bad"days...and the cold and damp of this winter is not helping anyone in any kind of pain!
              i take hydrocodone...10 mg, usually 2 at a time, for "regular" pain...
              but it is my experience that often pain meds, for me, just take the edge off, so i can stop grinding my teeth!

i hope you get to see your doctor soon...
              maybe someone will cancel an appointment...and hope that you can have the needed surgery quicker than expected...

jess

Comment

I hope that everyone is safe and sound. The blizzard has put life at a standstill here, so my husband and son are home for the day.
                I do have pain meds still, but I know that once I am out of them, that's it, until whenever I have surgery.. . .so, I am trying to ration them. Yesterday, I held on till 4pm, taking only Advil throughout the day, so I was at about an "8" (1-10 pain scale) all day - all I could do was sit still or lay down - I was in too much pain to consider eating. I finally took something so that I could make BLTs for dinner and load the dishwasher.
                Even though my surgeon was not interested in discussing a pain clinic option, I still think it might be a good option (my local sports medicine dr, who has been providing me with the prescriptions for pain meds, is the one who suggested it to me). I am considering making an appt w/my internist, for a referral to a pain clinic. Opinions????

The 2 women who had bad experiences (earlier post) had their surgeries at least 10 years ago - I remember that 1 had hers at Rush, and the other, I don't recall. They weren't "cripples" but "back cripples" (sorry for any confusion) - meaning that their pain prohibited them from living a normal life. Sadly, the woman who considered suicide got breast cancer and died not long after her diagnosis. My husband also has in his practice (derm) a woman who had her surgery about 3 years ago (we have the same surgeon) and she's doing great. We have to remember that the large majority of us are very happy with the result, and would do it again.
                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

Mgs,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with all of this. After even having 1 of these surgeries, I cannot even imagine what you're going through.

I am very curious and confused though about one thing.. how does the surgeon not know the fusion happened once he is "in there" the 2nd time? Isn't it clear at that point that the bone fused or didn't fuse? What am I missing here?

I'm so unclear about how they can tell if the fusion was successful.

Will you consider a second opinion?

Best of luck and we are all here for you!

Comment

then i was correct about your doctor not ...understanding...about pain in folks who just need relief, plain and simple!

i am so sorry you have to worry about rationing your medication...
                    i am grateful that i have a pain doc in Manhattan who provides the pills i need...
                    i wish you could come here to see him, but i realize you live too far away...

i am wondering if anyone who lives in your area from forum knows of a good pain doc out there...?

jess

Comment

JamieAnn, before I had the 2nd surgery (hardware removal), the surgeon explained that he would not be able to tell during that surgery if there is fusion because the hardware leaves marks on the vertebrae, so he wouldn't be able to tell (with certainty) what he was looking at. His plan, at that point, was to wait 6 months and then do a CT. The 6 mos wait was to allow all the scratches and dings from the hardware to become history, then he would be able to tell if there was an area(s) of non-union, and exactly where it was. . .If I was fused, T-3 to L-3 would look as smoothe as a sheet of ice.
                      The CT is being done earlier than he had hoped because I am, very clearly, re-curving FAST.

From this forum, I was aware over a year ago that other patients of his were unhappy with how his office handles pain control (they pretty much don't want to), so at least I know to not take it personally.

Off to bed!! I took an oxycontin and an oxycodone this morning, since my husband's home because of the blizzard day. . .I wanted to have somewhat of a nice day with him. We watched "Groundhog Day". . .our Feb 2 tradition. But, the meds are wearing off, so my day is ending.
                      Last edited by mgs; 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM.
                      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

I watched Groundhog Day too! "Phil? Phil! It's me, Ned Ryerson! I dated your sister until you told me not to..." Love it!

I'm sorry you're rationing pain meds - I would call my GP and get a referral to a Pain clinic and/or a PM&R. You shouldn't have to deal with rationing on top of everything else - it's just insult to injury.

Thank you for saying we have to focus on the best outcomes. I think that probably 95% of people with this surgery come out of it for the better and do what I want to do - put it in the past and move forward like it never happened. I try to remember that many people have done that, and that's why I'm not reading success story after success story - people who feel great don't need support!

Ti Ed, you take the cake for being most awesome at recovery as well as cheering people on. Several years ago my friends did the AIDS bike ride. There was one guy dressed up like a chicken (I'm not kidding!) who would ride up and down the same hill with each group, cheering them all on, even and especially the stragglers - he would ride with everyone and then continue on, get back up front, then hang back again until everyone had made it. You're one of those inspirational people. Thanks for that.
                        Female, age 38
                        4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                        currently 64*upper/40*lower
                        Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Oh wow, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I can't help but empathize with you on so many points. I hate it that you are having to ration your pain medication, sadly I have been there as well, and it is a heck of a state to be in. I really hope that something gets done for you, and quickly to help you get back on the road to recovery.
                          25 years old
                          double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                          Anterior on 11/11/08
                          Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                          nearly perfect correction
                          fused t-10 to pelvis
                          with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                          Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                          Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                          Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                          Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
                          X