Happy to be home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evelyn,
    I'm glad you have an appointment with Dr. Lenke. I would never have gone through with the surgery without having a tremendous amount of confidence in his ability and opinion of the necessity of the surgery for my later years of life. I know my husband was shocked when he saw my pre-surgery x-rays on my preop date so I had his support.
    We also saw a couple of people in his waiting room that were bent over at a 90 degree angle. I'm glad I didn't wait until I reached that point. Being in good physical shape sure helped. Recovery is no walk in the park, but I hope each week proves to show improvements. Let me know how your appointment goes. You can email me: pottoff@htc.net
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Were any encouraged or discouraged from walking steps?

The physical therapist that came to the house a few days after I got home showed me how to go up and down the stairs. I was a bit nervous in the beginning because my body is so different and stands so straight plus I hurt. I only went downstairs if necessary - first because I wasn't sure of myself and second my bedroom and bathroom is on the second floor so I felt comfortable staying upstairs. It gets easier but in the beginning it's tough. So happy to hear you are home and on your way. Lynn
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Stairs...

The PT in the hospital had me working on stairs since our house had them. I found them to be difficult, and used a cane on one side while gripping the banister on the other. I had to go both up and down them ok before being discharged.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

They had me practice two different days on 2-3 steps only and I didn't have any problems. I asked the nurse about goals and she said the PT would talk to me about it, but I just realized yesterday that no one did. It's hard to count laps in a small downstairs. I know several on the forum worked up to a mile or more fairly early. That would be about 200 laps in our house. I was just thinking that going up the stairs and walking laps there and then back down the stairs to walk more laps. I don't want to overdo it. Finding the happy medium with everything is challenging.
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I think I had something like 7-9 steps or so. I think your body will let you know if you are over-doing it. Build up a little each day for awhile and I think you should be fine. That's my advice, anyway. It sounds like you are doing great!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Karen - when I got home Bernie told me to only do steps once a day for the first few weeks and then gradually increase. It was about 4 weeks before I was allowed to walk on a treadmill. Since I was operated on in the summer I could walk outside in the beginning when I needed more than just doing circles in the house.
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

stairs

you definitely can and should do stairs; i was specifically shown how to do stairs in one of my PT sessions in the hospital (start out one at a time, if one leg is stronger than the other and hang on to bannister)
                junosand
                59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                with titanium cages
                Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

So glad to hear you are home and on your way to recovery. It is great to be "on the other side" even if it hurts. At least we know this pain will go away in time.

Wishing you a continued and smooth recovery -

Take care,
                  Irene

Comment

Here's to a speedy recovery and you'll be back on the golf course in no time!! I'm glad everything went so well.

Nitram
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I had such a good day yesterday with lots of walking and several naps, but I paid for it in the evening. I just couldn't get comfortable. I've always been a tosser and turner, and it's difficult to do it correctly, especially when you're half asleep. Maybe I should try not to sleep so much during the day so that I could sleep more at night or maybe it just doesn't make any difference. I may try a few indoor steps today just to change the path. I'd like to get outside but it's only in the 30's.

Have any of you sufferred from an extremely dry mouth? I can't even chew a cracker. I have ice chips and bought Biotine, but it didn't help. Besides not being able to get comfortable, I think the dry mouth is also keeping me awake. I'm sending hubby to the drug store today. I heard that there is some kind of lozenger for saliva. Water helps but only briefly.
                      Thanks!
                      Karen
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Extreme Dry Mouth

Karen - terrible drymouth in the beginning. I'd wake up in the middle of the night or the morning and felt like I had a mouth full of cotton balls. I'd sip some water, plus I had Halls Defense Vitamin C drops that I would suck on. I didn't take them in the middle of the night, as I was afraid I'd fall back to sleep and choke on it. It has to be the meds as the drymouth is for the most part gone as I'm on minimal meds. As far as walking, when I first got home, I just walked a little every time I had to get up to go to the bathroom. Eventually I increased it. This past week I noticed a huge difference with everything and it will be six weeks on Tuesday. Hang in there, it gets easier and better as the weeks go by. Take care and stay well. LYNN
                        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                        2000 Partial Rod Removal
                        2001 Right Scapular Resection
                        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

pain meds can/do cause dry mouth...

jess

Comment

Sounds like you are doing great, Karen. You were probably in such excellent physical condition going in that your body is tolerating everything better than most people's. Didn't have the dry mouth problem but can tell you nights during those first few weeks were rough. I did not sleep much during the day but just was miserable at night. I could not get comfortable, everything would stiffen up and moving around in bed was excruciating. I have a very supportive mattress on my home bed and even with that, ended up in the recliner a lot. I did eventually get some muscle relaxants prescribed which helped somewhat, but I think it's just part of the early healing process. It does get better but it's no fun when you're going through it. As far as steps, I "passed the PT test" for them in the hospital but was limited to just 2-3 trips a day early on. My surgery was in the dead of winter last year, too and I can relate to the boredom of those endless laps around the dining room table! With almost 2 ft. of snow on the ground at that time, outside was not an option!
                            Glad to hear that things are going so well for you.
                            Take care and don't rush your body. It knows what to do (except for the bowels!) :-)

Anne in PA
                            Age 58
                            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                            T4 to sacrum fusion
                            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                            X