Neck problem post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharon
    Thanks for posting Dr Hey’s write up about this lady’s neck problems. Sleeping with the neck “angled” due to pillow mismanagement, can really cause problems.
    I don’t know how she possibly could have managed a cervical herniation in all of 3 weeks or sleeping wrong for an evening, but it shows how serious neck disorders can be.

Amy
    No, I didn’t have an abnormal thoracic kyphosis. My neck issues in my past are the standards... you know, stiff neck mostly...maybe a very slight headache, and feeling lethargic.

After my surgeries, I did have a “forward lean” happening at around 1 month post and that had me a little worried. This was from all the way down, but I kept walking and it finally resolved itself in time. I guess it was about re-training the muscles again.

I have been to the Chiro 3 times in 3 years for stiff necks after my scoli surgeries. I would say that the frequency of stiff necks is the same as it was before my fusion. Everybody gets a stiff neck, it’s a design flaw. Our heads are just too big. Could you imagine if we all had heads the size of ET? We would be sitting around with cervical traction devices on all the time!

Looks like he also has a problem with his finger....
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

laurie may you need to get pillow that make your head go up
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Hi Laurie - sounds like you are doing good. It's amazing how many of the same things we all experience. My first 3 or 4 months, maybe even a little longer, I kept saying they put my head back on wrong. My husband always said they didn't take your head off (only felt like it). I definitely felt like my head was pushed forward. Over time and the general physical therapy for my back I guess my muscles have gotten stronger and are holding everything in place. I find I still have to make sure to keep my head up high and shoulders back. Hope healing continues well!!
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Anything new going on with you guys with neck stuff going on?
          Age 25 male
          Upstate NY
          T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
          Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
          Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

I am having surgery tomorrow and am wondering what is the best kind of pillow to use? It is safe to use a contour or will that mess with spinal alignment?
            Laurie Anne
            Age 30
            Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
            Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
            Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
            PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
            5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
            1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

LaurieAnn, good question re: the pillow. I don't know the answer to this, maybe you should ask your surgeon or physical therapist. I've been using a memory foam pillow that is relatively flat and it seems to be supporting me well enough,
              Laurie
              Age 57
              Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
              Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
              Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
              Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
              Dr Munish Gupta
              UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

LaurieAnn,
                Ask your doc for sure, but i'd say if you will be laying on your back, have a pillow that doesn't push your head up too much off the bed, and if you're laying on your side, have a pillow thick enough that keeps your head parallel with the spine.

Iray, how's your neck doing? Mine is very bothersome and is a huge concern. I have an appt this thursday.
                Age 25 male
                Upstate NY

Comment

I don't know the exact cause for the forward neck posture post-op, but I know it's very common in people regardless...mostly because of bad posture and sticking our heads forward while we work on computers, watch tv, etc. anyway, that being said, I am certified in pilates and I know that we like to do most exercises with a gently 'tucked' chin to counteract this posture. just imagine a ping pong ball under your chin and you want to keep it tucked in there (don't press too hard!). do this throughout the day to strengthen your neck flexors! with forward neck posture, the neck extensors (in the back of the neck) are overly worked and lengthened.

Comment

Ryy, my neck is maybe a little better. I can't hold it straight yet, still leans forward. My guess its because the top of my fusion at L2 is still healing and my heavy old head is causing the soreness. I rest my head throughout the day to take the pressure off.

I would like to hear what your doctor says. Hope you get relief soon.
                    Laurie
                    Age 57
                    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                    Dr Munish Gupta
                    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

You mean T2 I presume right?.. Mine is really getting bothersome, causing lotta discomfort and pressure back there, keeping my head up and straight.

Anyone know who is fused the highest on the forum? If it gets worse i don't see any other option but to fuse up? I wonder how the range of motion is affected by fusing up in the C spine, as well as what the risks are. I have an appt this Thursday with my doc.
                      Age 25 male
                      Upstate NY

Comment

Sending good wishes on your visit, Ryy. I have seen lots of these problems sort themselves out, and I'm hopeful yours will resolve in the same way.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Thanks guys.. Anyone know who's fused the highest in here? Ed, do you know?
                          Age 25 male
                          Upstate NY

Comment

Hi Ryy,

Just checking to see how your doctor visit turned out.

Comment

My Dr didn't really say too much about it. He said in a few months to do some weight lifting with it, using the head strap. I hope it doesn't get worse, I don't wanna have to struggle through the workday with my neck, now that my back is feeling better. Still curious about what there is to do, if it gets bad.

Anyone else with this neck stuff going on have any updates?
                              Age 25 male
                              Upstate NY

Comment

Ryy

Linda knows people fused all the way, and mentioned that they are not happy campers. I wouldn’t doubt that for a second.

Doctors have the ability to fuse ALL levels from the front and rear. Fusing up into your neck will be a last ditch effort if all else fails. For now, you will have to be as positive as you can and try the exercises as your surgeon has suggested. You too, have had an extremely serious and difficult surgery and are still very early at 3 months.

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X