Getting Cold Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laurie,
    My curve is 77 degrees. I saw one man in the waiting room who walked bent over at a 90 degree angle and thought, I sure don't want that to be me in 20 years! I have a lot of confidence in Dr. Lenke, although I know it won't be easy throughout the long, slow recovery period. I'll be anxious to hear how you're doing following your Dec. surgery. You're so much younger, that you will get through it with flying colors.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Karen, that was like my mom ... bent over 90˚, barely able to shuffle along due to burning pain in both legs and feet because of spinal stenosis, spine twisted from side to side from osteoporosis. Not a surgical candidate because of her age and a heart murmur.

Her condition was a powerful force in helping me decide to fix things NOW.
      And I am so glad I did. Although I'm having other aches and pains (that become less severe every day), my previous pain from the scoliosis and degenerated lumbar discs is completely gone.
      Juliet, age 57
      37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
      Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
      Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
      Surgery on 10/26/10
      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
      University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
      Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Watching and Reading the Postings

I have the same misgivings about the surgery. When I sit and lie down, I don't have any pain and think, "why am I having the surgery?". Then, I start to cook or go out shopping and start to feel the low back ache and pain in my leg. I push the time I am standing/walking until I can't stand it. Then, I think about the future.

Having read the postings and spoken with several people on the forum, I know, at least, the next six months won't be easy. But, as one person asked, "won't it be great to have pain that gradually goes away?".

Next Tuesday, Nov. 23, is my pre-op. I'll let you know how it goes.

Until then, I'm finding it difficult to fill in December 7 on my calendar at home. It will be the "first day of the rest of my life." I can't wait to go on trips and be able to tour without my cane seat, not to mention just taking a walk.

I know you all understand.
        Irene

Comment

Absolutely.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X