Very depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jen,

Did you check this NSaid thing with Dr. Boachie's office? I'm pretty sure I read not to take these while you are still fusing b/c it can interfere with the fusion. Maybe you are far enough out from surgery that it's okay? I sure hope you are getting some pain relief!

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Evelyn-

Yes, I checked with Dr. Boachie himself. I am very hesitant to take the NSAID, but since he says it's ok, I'm going to do it. The shoulder blade pain is very bad and at this point I'll try anything if it doesn't interfere with the fusion!!!

Thanks for the post,
      JenM
      Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
      Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
      Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
      Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
      31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

You are not wrong about the pain. I am 6 1/2 months out and still in much pain. I could not imagine working now. If your surgeon feels that you will be fused to pelvis and the insurance issue, I would have the surgery now

You are in my prayers

Melissa

Comment

Melissa, I see in the other thread that you have fibromyalgia. Could your pain possibly be caused by that rather than the fusion surgery? Just a thought though I'm sure you've already considered this. Perhaps the surgery worsened your fibromyalgia? What treatment are you on for this? I'm so sorry that things are not improving for you yet. Wishing you the best.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I suggest doing sports specially swimming.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              Melissa, I see in the other thread that you have fibromyalgia. Could your pain possibly be caused by that rather than the fusion surgery? Just a thought though I'm sure you've already considered this. Perhaps the surgery worsened your fibromyalgia? What treatment are you on for this? I'm so sorry that things are not improving for you yet. Wishing you the best.
              I take lyricia and cymbalta for my fibromyalgia. I am sure that some pain is from that but not all. Before I had the surgery, I had fibro pain and that is still there. I am pain in my back where my rods are and that is not form the fibro.

Melissa

Comment

You're suffering a double-whammy Melissa. I hope the pool work gradually starts helping, rather than hindering. I believe it's worth trying, but slowly. Let us know how you go. Hoping for the best for you.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I went yesterday for visit #2 and today I am feeling better than last week.
                  I go again tomorrow so we shall see how twice in one week works. They want me to go 3X a week.

Funny story - yesterday when I went to pay my Copay $11.06,I hand her my visa card from my checking acct. There is a line of people behind me so she gets very quiet and says that I have to read the paper. I said don't you mean sign it? She says you have to read it. It says that it was declined, which I could not understand as I had $200 in my acct. She had put down $11060.00 as the amount. I said to her that I know health care is costly but this is really out of the ballpark. She reads and starts to laugh

Have a good day

Comment

Melissa, that's hysterical! I used to work in medical reception, and I know how she felt, not wanting to embarrass you in front of a line of people - but she ended up being the one embarrassed! I would have just DIED laughing!

Hope you continue to feel better with every visit!
                    Juliet, age 57
                    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                    Surgery on 10/26/10
                    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Originally posted by BadKitty View Post
                      Melissa, that's hysterical! I used to work in medical reception, and I know how she felt, not wanting to embarrass you in front of a line of people - but she ended up being the one embarrassed! I would have just DIED laughing!

Hope you continue to feel better with every visit!
                      thanks. I hope that I do as well. People say that aqua therapy can work well

Comment

I went to Universal Studios this weekend and walked and stood in line for 3 days straight with very little pain. Then back at work yesterday after some light bending and lifting It starts again. I see the Dr tomorrow. I am starting to think I need a switch positions to case management so I don't have to do patient care. This depresses me but I don't know how much it will help if I add on L5-S1 with pelvic fixation. Can people fused down that far bend somewhat without pain fused to pelvis, after healing? I wish all of this wasn't such a sense of urgency but my insurance is changing with a max out of pocket of $5000 which I am sure I would have to pay for 3 days in the hospital at 25% copay. Also, I can't keep living in pain.
                        Janet
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
                          I went to Universal Studios this weekend and walked and stood in line for 3 days straight with very little pain. Then back at work yesterday after some light bending and lifting It starts again. I see the Dr tomorrow. I am starting to think I need a switch positions to case management so I don't have to do patient care. This depresses me but I don't know how much it will help if I add on L5-S1 with pelvic fixation. Can people fused down that far bend somewhat without pain fused to pelvis, after healing? I wish all of this wasn't such a sense of urgency but my insurance is changing with a max out of pocket of $5000 which I am sure I would have to pay for 3 days in the hospital at 25% copay. Also, I can't keep living in pain.
                          Janet
                          Janet,

What does your surgeon recommend between the 2 options - temporarily changing positions at work or extending the fusion? I think that MAYBE you might be over-doing it with the bending at work and perhaps if you let your body heal a little longer, by changing departments, you might find that you never need the additional fusion?? Just a thought. I think that way at least you give the non-surgery option a chance.

I know the insurance thing is weighing on you and that makes you want to have an immediate answer. Do you think you could also get another opinion on the surgery to help the decision process?

Comment

Janet,
                            What type of bending and lifting do you have to do on a typical day? I am fused T4 to Sacrum with pelvic fixation. I can bend but deep bending as in getting down to the floor and then getting back up isn't the easiest thing. Possible but not easy. I wouldn't want to do it all day long. I also avoid heavy lifting. I am also only 8 months out from my revision though...I did bedside nursing for years prior to my back surgeries and cannot imagine doing it now with all the lifting, pulling, pushing, bending that is required. My back would be on fire and throbbing when I went home from those 12 hour shifts! I admire you for what you have accomplished in such a short time. Why the urgency for the surgery? Maybe in a year you will feel much better? You've made alot of progress even since June.
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I don't do too much deep bending just forward bending. I always get help pulling, pushing and turning patients. For the most part I think I should wait.....except for the fact my pain very well may then go away. Worked today and it was very slow and still had pain . I am so indecisive.
                              Janet
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Have you had a second opinion regarding the surgery? If you wait too long then the decision will be made for you regarding insurance.

I was on the fence regarding my neck surgery that my surgeon suggested that I have. When I saw another surgeon and he said exactly the same thing, then I know that I had to have my neck surgery

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X