No announcement yet.

Giving Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynn -- I had the same instructions from Dr. Boachie before my surgery. One thing to watch out for: the iron pills contribute to post-op constipation. I believe I was still being given the vitamin/iron regimen in the hospital and in rehab, but I cut them out once I was home.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      I just saw Dr. Lenke and Kelly today for my pre-op testing and neither said anything about stopping Vitamin C or multi vitamins. I guess I'll call about it since Dr. Lenke is Kathy's surgeon. I drink O.J. and take Juice Plus pills which have vitamin C. I also take a multi-vitamin.
      But isn't Vitamin E the problem for bleeding? Multi vitamins would normally have E, no? I was told to stop multi vitamins and fish oil.

Comment

yes-stop taking Vit. C & multi vitamins

Forget my previous post. I just looked over the materials from yesterday's meetings and I was definitely told to stop talking multi vitamins and vitamin C. I thought I was listening better than that! I'm blaming exhaustion after being at the hospital 10 hours for tests!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Clarifying-I will stop 2 weeks prior to surgery. I will keep talking my vitamins until then.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Weird ... I was told to stop taking aspirin, fish oil & other antioxidants, but specifically to continue taking multivitamins!
            Juliet, age 57
            37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
            Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
            Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
            Surgery on 10/26/10
            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
            University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
            Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

I take a lot of vitamins and supplements. I could keep taking my multivitamin and calcium and vitamin d right up to surgery. They had me stop my daily baby aspirin, fish oil, flaxseed oil, glucsomine and co-q10. They also had me stop the same things 2 weeks before my pre- op appt so they could get an accurate blood draw.
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

3rd times not a charm!

Well couldn't donate the third unit yesterday as my HGB was 9.9 and the lowest it can be is 11.2. They suggested I come back on Friday, so I emailed Dr. Boachie's office and Lindy said either a family/friend can donate or HSS will have a unit ready if needed. I am going that route (HSS) as it's Thanksgiving weekend and people are away and it has to be soon for the processing, etc. To be honest, I'm exhausted mentally and physically and I don't even want to think about it. I donated two units and hopefully that will be enough, or as Lindy said, HSS will have a unit ready. Surgery is two weeks from today; my last day at the office is December 1st.

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for all your help. LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

You are wise not to donate any more blood. Your Hgb is way to low to even think about it. In my experience working at a hospital blood bank, you will be fortunate if you Hgb comes back to normal in time for the surgery. I hope you are taking your Iron and that you won't need a transfusion prior to surgery. How about a nice meal of liver for Thanksgiving Only kidding. Try to relax and enjoy Thanksgiving. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X