Surgery scheduled...post op set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karen-

Wow. It is nice to pay it forward and inspire someone else instead of just being inspired! I hope to help support others contemplating surgery when my day comes and I can share my own experience. Another volunteer activity that will be dear to my heart!

We are so similar-here's to last flings!!! My husband just took me to Disneyland and California Adventure a few weeks ago so that I could ride all the amusement park rides I wanted before I have this surgery. He spoils me! We will have to stay in touch, especially since we will be in exactly the same situation. Hang in there-we will persevere and conquer!!!!!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee',
      Well, I didn't even wait until I got home from vacation to buy the Ipod. I bought one this afternoon and will try to start downloading some music. I know it's hard to think about giving up some activities during the recuperation period, but I have to think that in the longrun, it's for a better future. Besides golf, I bike, play tennis, go to lots of classes at the Y. When I'm active, my back doesn't hurt at all, however, standing for a long time is uncomfortable. I read all of your activities. Wow! I'm sure that you are in excellent condition for the surgery. We'll definitely have to keep in touch prior to and after surgery.
      Karen
      pottoff@htc.net
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Golfnut.....you ARE a nut!!!
        I have been a life long fan of music. I have it on almost 24/7. It ranges from instrumental and classical to hard rock to new age. And most of everything in between. I am an ipod junkie. I wasn't sure what the big deal was several years ago when they came out. I now own three....
        I am still active, but not nearly as much as I was a couple years ago. Been a rough couple years. And I work so many hours and do quite a bit of volunteering in the community. Even that has had to take a back burner due to the unpredictability of my back. I do a lot of work with a place called Healing Reins that works with kids and adults with physical, mental or social challenges. I had to opt out the last couple sessions because I cannot jog along side the horses anymore... Really aggravating. I am hoping I can return to it someday. I also did a lot of stage managing for out local theatre-but it is 20-30 hours a week committment on top of my 45-50 hour job. I think the cutting back of things I love has had a lot to do with me being mentally ready for surgery. I've reached the point that my quality of life is suffering. I figure it is a win-win situation. If I can return to work-great! If not, I will be able to find lots of volunteer possibilities to fill my hours. Hang in there, we are almost there!!!!
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee,
          I forgot to mention my other big love . . . tap dancing. My tap class dances for nursing homes, variety shows, schools, churches, etc. On Nov. 12, we're dancing at a YMCA dinner and auction. It's such good exercise and I love it, but not sure about the high impact of a lot of our steps. If Dr. Lenke thinks I can go back to it eventually, I plan to sit and watch so that I can memorize the steps to new routines during the year that I'm out.
          I can't believe all that you do. I volunteered with our local humane society, but walking the big dogs was just too difficult when they jerked me around. I am going to try to volunteer at school when I am able following surgery. It will help me focus on something besides myself.
          I laughed at your final fling. I appreciate my husband taking time off of work to take me on a vacation. We're having a great time and will start driving north on Tues. My pre-op is Nov. 17th, so the reality of the surgery will hit!!!!
          It will be the longest time I've spent in a hospital, other than staying with my dad and husband.
          Oh, about the Ipod. . . I brought it back to our place and tried it out. My brother told me I should have bought the Ipod touch so that I could get my emails. They store wouldn't take it back since it had been opened, so now I could kick myself that I didn't buy the touch in the first place.
          Keep in touch.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
          X