No announcement yet.

My recent kyphosis surg :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(googling . . OMG, no, that's not what we were talking about)

It's proximal joint kyphosis. It means that, after a fusion surgery, the curve *above* the fusion increases. In most cases with kyphosis surgery, it means that the neck starts to tilt forward above the fusion.

Comment

^^ Thanks. The googling info that 'popped up' was, umm, weird.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

My upper back way up behind my neck and a little lower, is still kinda hunched. No work was done there, so that is the same that it was pre-op. The balance gets thrown off, and the unfused part compensates. I look at people with normal backs, and they don't have the hunched part way up there behind the neck. If they were to be fused like a scoli or kypho patient, they would have almost no risk of pjk/neck issues, because the unfused part above the spine is straight and the way it's supposed to be. Kyphosis is a problem with the spine as a whole, not just the middle part (where the fusion is done in most cases). The only way I see to fix pjk/neck issues would be to fuse up and up. What are the risks/disadvantages to fusing up into the C spine? If i was to get fused higher, i'm afraid that the neck looking down and shooting out forward would get a whole lot worse, and the natural curve in the neck would just totally reverse, to where i can't even look forward at all. Hard to say what would happen if i was to be fused up in there. Anyone?
        Last edited by Ryy; 11-24-2010, 04:14 PM.
        Age 25 male
        Upstate NY
        T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
        Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
        Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

Proximal Junctional Kyphosis

For example...

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00890227
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ah, yes, junctional not joint.

Ryy, I think that if they fuse into your neck, they make sure that the orientation of your head is correct. The issue is that you're lose the ability to turn side to side in that portion of your neck. For that reason, surgeons are hesitant about fusing above the thoracic spine. They do it, in some cases, but only if they absolutely have to.

Is your neck improving at all with the exercise and stretches?

Comment

Hi Ryy,

I'm wondering if you've tried any intensive physical therapy yet or are you still just in the early stages of considering options? I know you've mentioned this a couple times since your operation. It almost seems like for a lot of post-op patients the neck muscles kind of wake up a few weeks after surgery and then fall down. Very strange, and from most of what I've read, the surgeons are quite nonchalant about the patient's distress. Hopefully, that means, as Hdugger noted, that it's a temporary readjustment, and though disturbing- not dangerous?! Keep us posted.

Hdugger: I'm glad you are keeping an informal note-taking quest on this topic. My number one fear of surgery is that it will exacerbate the moderate-to-distressing neck symptoms that I already have. I do NOT have abnormal kyphosis but do have substantial lordosis. An MRI of my neck shows plenty of wear-and-tear but nothing that needs immediate attention. Response from doctors is mixed as to how scoli surgery will affect these symptoms. I feel determined to laser in on this issue.

JenM: I'm glad to hear from you and really sorry that you are still struggling. Please take the heat off yourself in regards to emailing me! It's great to read your input on the forum regarding these post-surgery neck issues... You have a lot on your plate, so don't stress on that small item! Take care of yourself.
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

My neck fatigue/aches haven't gotten any worse, still the same though. I've done stretches, chin tucks, and sleep with no pillow with a rolled up towel behind my neck. It's not at a point where it's horrible, but it's very annoying and keeps me from doing as many things as I could, without having to take a break and rest it. I'm concerned that it will get worse, my upper back will continue curving and neck will be harder to keep up. I haven't even gone back to work yet, hopefully it won't be one of those things that I'll have to struggle through the workday with. I'm seeing my doctor this week, and I'll see what he says about it. Thanks for the concern you guys, means a lot to me.
                Age 25 male
                Upstate NY

Comment

Hey everyone, here with an update:

I'm now about 4 months post op, doing excellent! Pretty much in no pain, back is just a tiny bit sore and stiff still, not a big deal at all and still getting better. The surg has really helped my breathing as well. Still having the neck issue but it could be worse, as it's not too debilitating at this point. I'm going back to work in a week.

Ed, great talking to you on the phone! never a quiet or awkward second, a good man you are brother.

Take care everyone, enjoy the weekend
                  Age 25 male
                  Upstate NY

Comment

That sounds great, Ryy. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.

Comment

RYY,
                      Glad to hear you are doing well. My guess is that your neck issues will improve over time as the muscles in your neck strengthen and get used to your new spine. What kind of work do you do? I hope it is not too strenuous.
                      Take care, Sally
                      PS: I grew up in Middleburgh, NY. Is that anywhere near you?
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ryy, I ran across an old thread of your post op complications, and was wondering if you have improved since then. I am so happy that it sounds like you have. YAY! I wish you luck in the future and look forward to hearing your progress.
                        Jenee'-52
                        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                        9 hours
                        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                        Non-fusion
                        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Great news, Ryy. Thanks for updating us!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks guys

lovestoskate: yeah my neck is bothersome on some days, I know it will be a prob at some point, just don't know when. I have an office type job, but am always on my feet, never sitting for more than 5-10 mins! Middleburgh is abt 40 min drive from me, it's a nice little place =)
                            Age 25 male
                            Upstate NY

Comment

Hey everyone,

I'm now about 6 months post op. Back is feeling good, breathing is much better since the surg. My neck is causing quite an issue though. Above my fusion is curving over, and my neck muscles are extremely overworked just holding my head up. Neck is so sore some days it's unbearable, and something about it actually changes my brain chemicals and I get depressed automatically whenever it is bothering. When it gets bad, my jaw will even start to lock up and ache bad. I'm going back to work tommorrow, and i'm terrified of having to struggle through each day and eventually not be able to do it anymore.

What are the options for this? Physical therapy doesn't help, it only makes it worse sometimes due to overworking of the muscles. Massage helps slightly. Anyone on here know anyone who has had to get fused higher? I can't find a lot of info on the options for this. I'm seeing my doc next week..Thanks guys
                              Age 25 male
                              Upstate NY

Comment

I'm sorry that I have no helpful knowledge. I'm sorry you're going through this - it sounds awful, and debilitating. I'll be watching for what your dr has to say. I hope he has some good idea about what to do.
                                Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                                Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                                Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X