No announcement yet.

What muscle relaxer do you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox injections work like magic on muscle spasms....
    i get the shots every 3-4 months for spasms in thoracic area....

jess

Comment

So it sounds like post-op, because you're not moving a lot, spasms pop up. Is that the deal? If so, how soon post-op can you start PT usually? I was hoping to start the week I get home - my PT is already planning to come to my home to get me going.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilysaidwhat......... Yes, that's what they said and it makes sense. I am prone to muscle spasms but this is the worst one ever. As far as PT, you won't be able to start the week you get home - generally it's four to six weeks after your surgery. Flexing your feet, etc. in bed is what they showed me in the hospital but an actual prescription for physical therapy to strengthen your back, I would imagine is a month or so from surgery - that's what I was prescribed.

Thanks everyone for your postings. I will ask my pain mgmt doctor for a muscle relaxer as it seems to work for some of you. I realize everyone is different, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'll keep you posted. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Jacque's mom-

I had my surgery in June with Dr. Boachie. At around 2 1/2 to 3 months post-op, I started having TERRIBLE spasms around my left shoulder blade/neck area. I feel for you as I remember this was the worst pain...so much worse than the pain in the hospital. I remember for 2 weeks the muscle spasms got so bad that I couldn't even move. They were just jumping from the neck to my shoulder and would shock me. At times I would be yelling it was so intense! I am now 7 months post op and still having problems with my left top of the rod/shoulder blade. The spasms did end up stopping though around 5 months post op. I took Flexeril to help with the spasms. Aquatic physical therapy really helped my spasms too. Hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted.

JenM
        Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
        Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
        Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
        Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
        31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Hi JenM,
          I remember when you posted and thought OMG how awful with surgery and spasms at the same time. When that jabbing pain would hit, you're right it's something I've never experienced. I was yelling as well and that's not me but as you know, you can't help it. It's so intense like nothing I ever felt before. It's better now as far as the intense pain but it's still there that tenderness/stiffness, and I'm so afraid it's going to return. I'll just keep using the heating pad and pray it goes away. I'm going to ask my pain mgmt dr. on Monday for Flexeril since many on this site have mentioned it helps.
          I'm so glad you are doing well and thanks for your response.
          LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X