New Here, surgery Oct. 11, question about BMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heidiv2 View Post
    thanks to all for responding, I am waiting for the nurse to call me back about the insurance issue. My girls are 15 mos and 6 years old. So the BMP is something that they are using but doesn't necessarily HAVE to be used from what I am reading online about it? I am an RN but work at a small hometown hospital and we don't do things like this here so am out of my league here.
    Hi, Heidi!

I'm very interested in the BMP issue for many reasons, but for the moment, I have a different question.

I see you have two curves under 60 degrees and will be operated on soon by Dr. Lenke. I heard from his office several months ago that he is no longer accepted patients with curves "less severe" than 70 degrees or thereabouts partly because of his increased time commitments as incoming president of SRS. Others have reported similar experiences from Kelly, his nurse/coordinator (forget which).

I wonder if you are were approved some time ago or if other factors made the difference.

( To others of you, I'm still concerned about the BMP research concerns I highlighted some months ago...)
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
      Hi Heidi - I had a fusion with Dr Bridwell in St Louis 4 weeks ago today; T3-L1. I had BMP approved by my insurance company, Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I'm 56, though, so that may be why. It definitely helps the fusion process. In Jan '09 I was fused from L4-S1 in Indy for spondylolisthesis and my doc here used BMP and at my 3 month checkup I had a solid fusion. The insurance companies should start approving this because it seems like it may be cheaper than having to go in and redo it if you don't fuse. Good luck!

Lisa
      That's FABULOUS about your early fusion! I too have (for now) BCBS and checking their preauthorization department was told they only approve it at the L levels. Wonder how true this. Hard to picture how they keep exact tabs on this. I guess at $1K/gram (~1000 gm/long fusion) they could afford to pay someone to be present during surgery, to make sure they don't squeeze another tube of this stuff at a wrong location!

I assume BCBS has the same "medical necessity" standards regardless of what plan you subscribe too but maybe it's more complicated.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi,
        Yes, Dr. Lenke said that I would be a good day for him (less complex than he is usually working on, LOL) then he looked at me and said laughingly, don't worry I'll still do a good job I have been a current pt. of his since 2000 (if I remember the date correctly). He will operate on current patients of his if we get to that point. I have been in his study groups since starting with him on ideopathic scoliosis without prior tx in adolescent years. I have doing more reading on BMP and Lenke I understand will not do fusion without it.
        Heidi
        35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
        60 degree thoracic
        44 degree lumbar
        Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
        Dr. Lenke St. Louis
        1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
        fused T1 to L1

Comment

Dr Lenke really said that heidi
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Yep, he said that. He can be funny in a dry sort of way
            Heidi
            35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
            60 degree thoracic
            44 degree lumbar
            Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
            Dr. Lenke St. Louis
            1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
            fused T1 to L1

Comment

My surgeon the same way can i warn you about one thing that i'm sure all spine surgeons do to let there patients no there in good hands.
              Dr Gupta also make me laugh because he like to joke around
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Working...
              X