A question about rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flerc View Post
    vertebras and ribs do not formed a rigid structure so they should to move together?.. thanks Sharon, but it seems that my imagination is so limited..
    I have no idea really but I think you might have a point with older adults who have very stiff spines.

But in my one kid whose rotation was noticeable to anyone and everyone and had a large rib hump, she would need to be in bathing suit and she would have to be standing still and straight and I would have to carefully point out how we can know there is still a slight rotation to someone who isn't familiar with looking for it. They would see it eventually but it is slight.

On radiograph, her two rods are almost superimposed on sagittal view. Almost but not quite because he couldn't (or wouldn't try) to get the last little bit of rotation out. It doesn't matter because he exceeded my expectations given how large her rotation was going in. The surgeon did not promise too much about it so as not to get our expectations up so it is a huge pleasant surprise. He said her case was not straight forward which I think is in reference to correcting this rotation but I really don't know.

She has no rib hump but one shoulder blade still sticks out a bit more than the other. You can see it if she is still and straight, not otherwise.

The other kid, no nothing. She has zero rotation after surgery. Her rods are pretty much superimposed as I recall.

That's just the two cases I have been dealing with. Maybe they are unusual but I doubt it.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi junosand...

I think the best way to understand what is done is to view an animation. You can find one here:

http://www.understandspinesurgery.com/

Click on View 3D Animations
      Click on Spine Procedures
      Select Thoracic - Derotation with Instrumentation

Regards,
      Linda
      That's a great site.

I watched the T - derotation w/ instrumentation and laughed at the comment about taking bone from the iliac crest only hurts for a short time. My one friend still has annoying pain at the harvest site more than a decade later. I was prepared to refuse the procedure for my kids based on that.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

to Mojo's Mom

what also makes me skeptical about what your father thought he remembered is that surgery patients preoperatively are given a drug called Versed that causes retrograde amnesia; i strongly suspect what he thought he remembered was a conscious or subconscious fear he had in his mind before going into the surgery
        junosand
        59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
        schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
        with titanium cages
        Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Originally posted by junosand View Post
          what also makes me skeptical about what your father thought he remembered is that surgery patients preoperatively are given a drug called Versed that causes retrograde amnesia; i strongly suspect what he thought he remembered was a conscious or subconscious fear he had in his mind before going into the surgery
          Junosand, according to Wikipedia (which is by no means necessarily accurate) Versed was first synthesized in 1975. My father's surgery was in 1966 or 1967.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

to Mojo's Mom

didn't realize it was that long ago; that was before my time
            at least in this age, this is not something we need to worry about
            junosand
            59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
            schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
            with titanium cages
            Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Working...
            X