Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KathK View Post
    Stephanie,
    I was told by Dr. Lenke's nurse that I could lean forward just far enough to spit into the sink while brushing my teeth . I would guess that would be more like a 5-10% angle, not a 45% angle. I have tried to not lean forward at all during these early weeks. Maybe I am being too restrictive with myself, but I don't want to risk any problems with my fusion.

I eat at the table (at one of our dining room chairs that has supportive wooden arms). Sometimes while one hand is lifting the fork to my mouth, I will hold the plate under my fork with the other hand to prevent any drips onto my lap .

The hardest thing for me has been not being able to bend down and give my 9 year old a kiss. Luckily, she's agile and will climb up on a chair to give me a kiss and a gentle hug .

Remember that all things are possible.....sometimes with a little help...
    Hi Kath...

That's a really good question. While surgeons don't want patients bending within the spine, they can still bend at the hips. It takes 90 degrees to sit. If you go farther than 90 degrees, you start to bend in the lumbar spine.

I'll see if I can talk to one or two surgeons to get their take.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I can bend over only far enough to brush my teeth. That probably will not change unil I see Dr B at my Oct 26 followup.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

Linda Racine has said in the past that those people with the longest fusions, (assuming that your first surgeon is correct), should have significant counseling associated with the decision to have such a long surgery (or at least they do where she works). It is a big decision.

I think your surgeons owe it to you to spend lots of time to let you know how this will probably affect you after the surgery. Make sure you insist on full answers to all your questions from them prior to making a decision.

Comment

Shoot, you guys are good if you can bend over and spit in the sink. I'm afraid I'd get it all down my front. I spit in a cup and then rinse it out. It works fine for me. The sink is just way too far down there and my fusion just doesn't allow for any leverage...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I tip forward from my hips, no problem.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

But using a cup is so easy, and I don't have to worry about hitting the faucet which sticks half way out into the sink area. After 3 years, it's second nature to me. I'm fine with it. Maybe those extra two vertebrae at the top (that are fused with me and not with you) made it harder to extend my neck at first... but that's just how I adjusted to brushing my teeth.

I'm pretty sure I remember someone else saying they used a cup too... but I could be remembering wrong.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
                Stephanie,
                I was told by Dr. Lenke's nurse that I could lean forward just far enough to spit into the sink while brushing my teeth . I would guess that would be more like a 5-10% angle, not a 45% angle. I have tried to not lean forward at all during these early weeks. Maybe I am being too restrictive with myself, but I don't want to risk any problems with my fusion.

I eat at the table (at one of our dining room chairs that has supportive wooden arms). Sometimes while one hand is lifting the fork to my mouth, I will hold the plate under my fork with the other hand to prevent any drips onto my lap .

The hardest thing for me has been not being able to bend down and give my 9 year old a kiss. Luckily, she's agile and will climb up on a chair to give me a kiss and a gentle hug .

Remember that all things are possible.....sometimes with a little help...
                Kathy,
                My youngest was 9 yrs old at the time of my surgery too, and it was hard not to be able to bend over and kiss her in bed at night. I think within a few months, 3 or 4 at most, I WAS able to bend over and kiss her in bed. We were both thrilled. At first it was tough, but now, almost 2 yrs later, it's no problem and I don't even give it a second thought. In the beginning, once I started to improve, restrictions were lifted and I was able to do things again, it was so sweet how my family would praise me, like a child taking his first steps. I'm sure your 9 yr old will praise you as well when you're able to bend down for a kiss too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Kathy,
                  Your post was so sweet about your 9 year old kissing you. As a former teacher, kids really do adjust. You girls who have had surgery with young ones at home are amazing! I just know you are all great moms.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

At first I used a cup to rinse my mouth out and spit in to as well. I also remember a few times trying to spit into the sink, and either dribbling on myself, or once, I even spit too hard and hit the wall. I also remember in the beginning trying to eat soup at the dining room table.

You just have to remember that these little nuisances are just short term.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I actually started this thread because I read someone else's post that they couldn't look at a book in their lap, which made me wonder if you aren't allowed to move your neck at first even though it isn't fused.

Then I had been experimenting to see what all I could do while keeping a very straight back, and it didn't seem so terribly limiting, so I wondered if some things that you would think you could do right after surgery would be things that you couldn't do until the spine had actually begun to fuse. I do understand that if I'm fused to the sacrum I will never "bend" again or twist again in any part of my spine except the cervical.

I'm only in the very preliminary stages of planning for a surgery that I don't expect to take place for another year or more...but I need to understand as best as I can what I would be in for. Yes, I can ask my surgeon lots of questions, but doctors are never as helpful as those who have been through the experience themselves.

If I have the surgery, it will be partly because of pain I'm in now...but I don't know if the surgery will help that. The really bad pain I have now is nerve pain, due to some impingement of the L5 and S1 nerves. It is quite debilitating. I can't walk any distance at all anymore without severe leg pain, and I can't stand for more than a few minutes. I don't know if the surgery will change this, though, because it's my understanding that nerves take a long time to heal once they are irritated. This is yet another fear I have, because if walking is what they want you to do for exercise, what if I can't walk? But that's a whole different issue, off topic, sorry.

My reasons for the surgery will be that my curves, which had remained pretty stable for many years, just deteriorated ten degrees in two years. The handwriting is on the wall, and I'm not getting any younger.

Believe me, I will have many, many questions for the first surgeon I see. You all are helping me prep for that, is what you're doing. I KNOW I have to ask lots of questions of my surgeon, but right now I'm asking YOU, for your personal experiences. I don't mean to be a pest.
                      Stephanie, age 56
                      Diagnosed age 8
                      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Ask away Stephanie. Many of us have been helped enormously by the people on this forum and speaking for myself, and I'm sure, others, are only too happy to give back.

"it was so sweet how my family would praise me, like a child taking his first steps. "

My little grandaughters were like that with me. It brought a lump to my throat, how kind and encouraging and willing to help they were. I was at their house the other day and my daughter asked me to get something from the bottom drawer in the kitchen, and as I walked over there, my eldest grandaughter, aged 5, raced past me saying, "I'll get it for you Nanny, I don't want you to bend your back." So sweet <sniff>
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

you're not a pest, Stephanie!

Dear Stephanie,

You are not a pest, and no one here will mind your questions! In fact I have been following your thread because I have a surgery planned soon, and I am very interested in the replies. I have just returned from camping and haven't had time to post much this week, so your questions are great. Please keep asking.

I think this surgery takes a huge amount of mental energy to wrap your head around, and there are so many questions that we all think of that we would never call our doctor to ask (like how can I spit out my toothpaste for instance). We are all here for each other, so keep those questions coming.

When the time is right for your surgery, I am sure your doctor will explain many things to you as well. I know mine has.

Take care,

Gayle
                          Last edited by leahdragonfly; 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

i havent heard of "counseling" in NYC for long fusions...and i need one to pelvis...(first planned from T4, they offered to start at T11 as a compromise...i wish they'd offer to stop at L5 instead!)

anyone know of "counseling" that has been offered to them or their family members if long fusion is in the cards...? i have been offered phone numbers of patients with successful surgeries (who agreed to speak with me) but no "counseling"... the conversations weren't all that detailed, as i didnt want to impose...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                              i havent heard of "counseling" in NYC for long fusions...and i need one to pelvis...(first planned from T4, they offered to start at T11 as a compromise...i wish they'd offer to stop at L5 instead!)

anyone know of "counseling" that has been offered to them or their family members if long fusion is in the cards...? i have been offered phone numbers of patients with successful surgeries (who agreed to speak with me) but no "counseling"... the conversations weren't all that detailed, as i didnt want to impose...

jess
                              Oh, it was a comment from Linda regarding fusions longer than yours. Specifically the T1-Sacrum (perhaps pelvis) if I remember correctly. I think fusing those extra top vertebrae makes a significant difference. I think there are very few of those surgeries so there are probably very few people around here with them. But perhaps Linda can speak more to that.

Oh, and that interview that mamamax just put up with Boachie has him stating that L5 is not a good place to stop a fusion.
                              Last edited by Ballet Mom; 09-07-2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

mmmm..
                                i'd think going high or low ought to qualify...but that's just my own opinion...

i am a certified social worker...worked with kids in daytime and alcohol/drug addicts, over age 17, at nite...
                                but i wouldnt want to be doing this kind of counseling (i never wanted to work with hospital patients outside of addicts...i have no "stomach")...
                                not sure who exactly would qualify...
                                ideally, i personally would want someone who had a long fusion, and knew something about counseling...
                                a very tall order!! and in my own case, i'd want someone who had fusion to pelvis!! it often helps to have peer counseling...any addict would tell you that!
                                and of course...so would patients on this forum...

matter of fact, i'd value a person with the fusion more than a "professional" counselor...but they would have to be willing to go into GREAT detail with me...far more than the patients i spoke with on the phone...

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X