question for those fused to sacrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Melissa, I'm glad the MRI wasn't as bad as expected for you. Roll on Tuesday. Don't forget to post the results.

Meantime, are you getting any easing of the pain?
    I will tell you all on Tuesday as soon as I get home

The pain comes and goes. My back gets sore from taking off the brace

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
      I will tell you all on Tuesday as soon as I get home

The pain comes and goes. My back gets sore from taking off the brace

Melissa
      Melissa,
      One of these days, before you know it, and when you aren't thinking about it, you will realize that your back is not hurting anymore when you are out of your brace. It all really is baby steps...
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
        Melissa,
        One of these days, before you know it, and when you aren't thinking about it, you will realize that your back is not hurting anymore when you are out of your brace. It all really is baby steps...

Thanks for the advice

Melissa

Comment

Well, I just got back from the surgeon's office . My disc's in my neck are falling apart . Three of them are really bad. 5 -6 -7 . We are going to try injections first and then if they do not do the trick , he will do surgery. Nothing big like scoliosis just 2 hours or so. He feels that once this pain is gone that my back pain will feel better. However, he did remind that I still have 8 months to go until it is 1 year.

My first injection is next Tuesday

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear about your neck. But I am glad they've found the cause of all this pain you've been having. I really hope the injections take care of it. If not, glad to hear surgery is an option and it won't be as long as scoli surgery.

Best wishes,
            Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

hi Melissa
              so sorry you have this to deal with now..seems one thing after the next!!

i really hope the injections work...it would be great if they could solve the problem....

i hope you get a break from the pain with the shots!

jess

Comment

Melissa,

Thanks for posting. I was anxious to hear what type of results you got since I have the same problem with my shoulder/arm. What type of injections are you going to get? Is it cortisone? Also, are you able to rotate your shoulder at all? I cannot lift my left arm up at all. When I try to lift it up to shampoo my hair, I just get severe shooting pain so I just bring it down again. Do you have this?

I was also wondering if you had these neck/arm issues before surgery? I did not and am upset that the surgery brought these on. I just want them to go away as I do not want another surgery. I don't think I would have ever had the scoliosis surgery if I knew how much neck issues/shoulder pain I would have post-op. This pain I am currently having is 100 times worse then my back pain before surgery!! Anyway, hopefully your injections help. Keep me updated!!

JenM
                Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
                  Melissa,

Thanks for posting. I was anxious to hear what type of results you got since I have the same problem with my shoulder/arm. What type of injections are you going to get? Is it cortisone? Also, are you able to rotate your shoulder at all? I cannot lift my left arm up at all. When I try to lift it up to shampoo my hair, I just get severe shooting pain so I just bring it down again. Do you have this?

I was also wondering if you had these neck/arm issues before surgery? I did not and am upset that the surgery brought these on. I just want them to go away as I do not want another surgery. I don't think I would have ever had the scoliosis surgery if I knew how much neck issues/shoulder pain I would have post-op. This pain I am currently having is 100 times worse then my back pain before surgery!! Anyway, hopefully your injections help. Keep me updated!!

JenM
                  No I did not have the neck/ arm issues before surgery . Yes there are days that I cannot use my left arm at all . The injections are Epideral Steroids. I hope that they will help as well. Please let us know what how your appt goes on Friday

Melissa

Comment

That's bad luck Melissa, but at least they found out what was causing your pain. Sounds like it can be fixed, one way or another. Let's hope the injections do the trick. How many will you need? Please let us know how you go - and good luck!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It's about time you got a break - past time. Don't know how you've been standing this. And with children to care for....Sheesh. Hoping you turn a corner...SOON!
                      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                        That's bad luck Melissa, but at least they found out what was causing your pain. Sounds like it can be fixed, one way or another. Let's hope the injections do the trick. How many will you need? Please let us know how you go - and good luck!
                        Thanks . As to how many injections , we will have to wait and see. He said if we do more than 2-3 and they do not do they trick , he would advise the surgery and I would go along with his advice. The surgery does not sound like a big deal and and this point , I need some relief.He said that the majority of people that come to see him for neck pain have this problem and that do wind up having this surgery are very pleased with it. So either way , it sounds like , finally , this answer has been found.

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                          It's about time you got a break - past time. Don't know how you've been standing this. And with children to care for....Sheesh. Hoping you turn a corner...SOON!
                          Thanks . Well, my kids are older. My son is 15 and my daughter is 18 and drives. SHe has been great and so has he. But you are correct, I need a break and it seems like Im have found it now

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                          X