Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post of the month nominee

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    i question where this guy is coming from...Oakland...the capital of scoli surgery...excuse me...?
    HA! Made me laugh.

Thanks Jess.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

hey Sharon...guess i displayed my bias against Oakland...spent time there visiting my father...hated the place!!!
      (that's an understatement!)
      plus, i never thought of Oakland as having well known doctors...

hadnt heard of this doctor...and...if he became a surgeon in 1955...does he still do surgery...? 55 years ago, and he had to be at least 25 years old when he started (or older)...he would be pretty up there in age by now, especially to be holding a scalpel...

but i apologize if i offended anybody...sorry...i just have an intense dislike for that...town...

jess

Comment

Hey Jess!

Gertrude Stein once remarked about Oakland that "there is no there there" which was really a reference to her childhood home not being there any more.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

my G.P. in NYC told me that one...but i thought it meant there was no city there worth anything!!

that is what i think it really meant!!!

jess

Comment

Yeah I always thought it was a reference to the city of Oakland itself. But we are assured by literary scholars that is it a reference to her house which wasn't there. Not sure how there literary types determine these things. I'd like to know their margin of error.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

hmmm...so much for the literary types...

have you BEEN to Oakland...spent any time there...in any year...?

if any of those literary types had, they would know that no matter what Stein meant...the truth is...the truth!
              Oakland has any easier airport to negotiate than the airport in S.F.
              other than that, it has no excuse for being there..

(again, sorry to any Raiders fans...a team i dont care for, either...)

sorry for getting off topic of minimally invasive approach

jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM.

Comment

No I haven't been to Oakland but I'll take your word that it has no excuse for being there! HA!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey....

I resemble those remarks. I live in Oakland!

Dr. Blackman is no longer practicing. He divides his time between a ranch in a remote part of Nevada, and a home in Oakland. While he didn't stick with it, he really was the founder of minimally invasive spine surgery, and deserves some respect for that. I suspect that someone else would have eventually thought of the same thing, but he beat them to the punch. He's always been incredibly supportive of patient programs. While I think that sustaining his view that minimally invasive techniques are dangerous is somewhat of an exaggeration, I think that message is a good warning that having surgery that hasn't been done hundreds of time, or having a surgeon who hasn't done hundreds of a specific type of surgery, can be very dangerous.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

wow...thought you lived in S.F.

i apologize...i guess you dont want condolences...just kidding...seriously, have you ever stayed in "beautiful downtown Oakland"...on a week end...

but i do apologize...i hate when anyone knocks NYC...

i actually think minimally invasive is a great idea...it works for so many conditions..arthroscopic surgeries are wonderful! so it was just a matter of time before someone thought of it for scoli...
                    i will give props to Dr Blackman...but i think his negative remarks are not helpful...all surgeries were new at one time! imagine what folks said about putting metal rods in the spine when it first started! heck, i still say it!!

jess

Comment

I'm not that familiar with it, but I think Oakland Hills is a really nice area. I remember when they had the fires there, it was a really pretty area. Maybe you just didn't get to see the nicer areas.

Comment

harumph! nicer areas...

nuff said...dont want to offend Linda...

jess

Comment

I think you already did! Enough about Oakland. There is good and bad in every city including NYC.
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

where is your sense of humor, Sally...

i expect that minimally invasive fusion surgery for lumbar will amass statistics as the years pass....but i guess only time will tell...the more patients with successful results, the more accepted it will become...

jess

Comment

I took absolutely no offense to the comments. Most areas, including Oakland, have good and bad areas.
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X