Report from MBeckoff's trip to surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gosh, Melissa, i hope so too!
    i am so sorry that you are still in so much pain!
    i hope things get better really soon!

jess

Comment

Thanks Jess and how are you feeling? WHen are you going to start feeling better?
      Melissa

Comment

the injection site pain is still there, though less intense...plus sciatica is back since the epidural wore off...trip to Manhattan was tough yesterday, though i cab everywhere possible! plus, Amtrak was an hour and a half late getting in to Manhattan...i dont know how they stay in business...except i guess they have little competition!! Donald Trump needs to get into the train business!

i see pain doc next Monday, since he is out of town this week...

thanks for asking, Melissa...
        and i am sure my pain is nothing compared to your post surgery suffering!! i hope something works for you soon, or that your healing moves faster! i know time crawls when in pain

take care...
        jess

Comment

Back in the late 80's and early 90's before my daughter was born, I commutted from Trenton, NJ to NYC . I know all about train travel and delays

Good luck on them ever bein in time

Melissa

Comment

I do not know what to do. When I drive, I get really bad pain. I am not talking long trips. I am talking 30 mintues long. Any suggestions?

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
              I do not know what to do. When I drive, I get really bad pain. I am not talking long trips. I am talking 30 mintues long. Any suggestions?

Melissa
              Melissa,

do you feel most of the pain when you drive over bumps? Or are you twisting more than you should, and is this causing you the pain? Is the pain in your spine itself, or surrounding muscles?

I'd have to say that if it does bother you that much, you should probably avoid driving if at all possible.

One other question--have you had physical therapy yet? I can't describe how much it helped me (in the long run), although often I was very sore for a few days after each session.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Do you have a firm pillow behind your back, Melissa, when you drive? Try it in different places until you find the best spot for it.

I'm so sorry your pain is continuing so bad. You really deserve a turn for the better.

What pain meds are you on at this point?
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have not had PT at all except in Rehab back in May when I was in the hospital. My Doctor does not want me to do PT at all except for walking.I am still in my back brace , except for sleeping and showering. I am now allowed out of it for 1-2 hours daily. As for pain meds, I am on Darvocet twice a day and regular Tylenol and Advil. The only product that seems to help is the Darvocet. The Doctor now has me back on the steriod pack which seems to be helping me.

I have a pillow behind while a drive

Giving up driving is not really a option for me totally. I can cut it down.We live in a very rural area. My son , 15 years old , needs to get driven , to piano and school and doctors and while people helped out in May I can't ask again .

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                    I have not had PT at all except in Rehab back in May when I was in the hospital. My Doctor does not want me to do PT at all except for walking.I am still in my back brace , except for sleeping and showering. I am now allowed out of it for 1-2 hours daily. As for pain meds, I am on Darvocet twice a day and regular Tylenol and Advil. The only product that seems to help is the Darvocet. The Doctor now has me back on the steriod pack which seems to be helping me.

I have a pillow behind while a drive

Giving up driving is not really a option for me totally. I can cut it down.We live in a very rural area. My son , 15 years old , needs to get driven , to piano and school and doctors and while people helped out in May I can't ask again .

Melissa
                    Melissa,

I am so sorry you are still in so much pain. You are still fairly early in recovery and many people still need pain meds at three months and beyond. Are you sure you should be taking Advil? Have you checked it out with your surgeon? Advil is a nsaid and can inhibit fusion. Tylenol was the only over the counter med that I was allowed until fusion had taken place at about nine months. I was told that Tylenol helps if you take it on a regular 4 hour schedule. I really hope you get relief soon.

Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

My doctor said that my X-rays showed fusion had started , so I could take Advil. Every doctor seems to have their thoughts on things, don't they? He also reminds me that he did tell me that I would not be 90% healed until one year and 99% until 2 years. So I have to learn patience, don't I?

Melissa

Comment

Steriods??

How do steriods work? Are they long lasting? How long do they take to work ?
                        This is the second time I am on them since my surgery for a different problem. He put me on them this time because I cannot sit.I am in so much pain where I am fused at the bottem and I was just wondering when they should start working. I started taking them yesterday in the morning

Melissa

Comment

I had my neck injection of steroids today. It basically all went well. I had a pill of Valium to relax me and I suggest taking one.My appt was at 1:30pm but they did not take me until after 3pm because my blood sugar did not cooperate. I have done such a great job, between meds & diet, of keeping it until control that it would not come up above 90. They wanted it at 125 to do the procedure. Finally after waiting that long they did it at 3pm. It seems like it was over just after it begin. In 2-3 days you are supposed to see a change;well we shall see.

At least, it did not hurt

MY blood sugar is very high tonight. Over 400. I will see my PCP in the morning.
                          and see what she wants to do

Melissa

Comment

You did well, Melissa! Hope you get maximum benefit. Let us know how you go.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

gosh, melissa...i hope you get a break with all this!
                              it would be great if these injections work!
                              i wonder why your sugar went into such a wide swing...

thoughts and prayers go out to you...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                                gosh, melissa...i hope you get a break with all this!
                                it would be great if these injections work!
                                i wonder why your sugar went into such a wide swing...

thoughts and prayers go out to you...

jess
                                The sugar swing is normal with this procedure

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X