No announcement yet.

Is a second opinion necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't get a second opinion. After my appointment, I asked around and went online. Didn't read or hear anything detrimental about Dr. Askin. Quite the opposite. I did think I should get a second opinion, but knew it would be difficult to find a surgeon with as much scoliosis experience as Dr. Askin. I would imagine the same thing could be said of Dr. Lenke.

However, if there's anything at all you're unsure about, I would see him again to clarify, or get a second opinion.

But I can't see the point in travelling and expending large sums for a second opinion, if you are already fairly sure you've got the best deal. As sure as it's possible to be, anyway.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

there are quite a few surgeons in the U.S. who have years and years of experience operating on scoli patients...and they have the best reputations!

i would want to know all possible approaches...including minimally invasive...an approach that several of the TOP surgeons in this country have in their repertoire...

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 08-17-2010, 01:49 AM.

Comment

You guys are so great. I just appreciate all of your opinions and the time you take to offer them.
        Jess, does any surgeon that you know of do "minimally invasive surgery" on a large & long thoracic and lumbar curve? I have done some searches on the internet and haven't found the answer. It seems impossible to put two long rods with screws down your back without the long incision. If it were possible, surely no one would go the other route with the incredibly long recovery.
        Would a surgeon look at a copy of Xrays and give an opinion for surgery without seeing me? If I were younger, I could see waiting a few years to see if something better would come along with the technique, but turning 60 next month, I feel it's best I do it now.
        Thanks, again. I wish Dr. Bridwell did not work with Dr. Lenke or it would be a no brainer to see him.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi....

While I normally encourage people to get a second opinion, there are maybe 10-12 surgeons around the U.S. that I would trust to do my own surgery. Dr. Lenke is one. I think if one is really confident on the surgeon they've chosen, and they've confirmed that s/he does a lot of scoliosis surgeries, a second opinion is less of a priority.

Regards,
          Linda
          Curious who your top 10-12 choices are beside Lenke, Linda .

Comment

yes, Karen...minimally invasive is reportedly "do-able" on all/any curves...

i need fusion T4-pelvis, but surgeons agreed to compromise with T11-pelvis instead...Dr Lonner will do it minimally invasive approach (if/when i am ready), Dr Anand would, and i believe there are a few doctors...possibly Chicago...? who do it as well..,i am not sure where they were located, but someone posted about other doctors besides on the east and the west coasts....if you search "minimally invasive" or "minimally invasive lumbar" it would probably pop up...

minimally invasive for thoracic curves has been around several years, i believe...it is that same approach for lumbar that is more recent...

that is why i suggested a second opinion...perhaps another surgeon would recommend that approach for you...i would at least want to know...

if you go to Dr Anand's web site, you can see a video of how the rods and screws are put in without a long incision...not saying he is the doctor to see...plus he is all the way in L.A., but it would give you an idea of how the surgery is done...

whatever you decide to do, i wish you the best of luck! and i sent you a private message..

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 08-17-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
              Curious who your top 10-12 choices are beside Lenke, Linda .
              I second that, Linda! Can we have your "go-to" list?

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
              X