No announcement yet.

Need some reassurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more chiming in agreement with all the other posts. My corrected curves are actually worse than yours are now pre-op. Not a complaint, but just the reality of waiting until I was in significant pain to pursue surgery. I admire your courage for taking this step now. I lived in denial about my progressing curve for most of my adult life and absolutely agree with a statement from someone who said this gets worse after age 50. It's normal to have doubts and misgivings, but I believe you're on the right track. Best of luck just getting through this miserable pre-op anxiety. Some days you feel like you can't live your life because all you can think about is your upcoming surgery. Take care--lots of us are right there with you.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

It is never easy to explain to others how you are feeling about this type of condition or surgery unless you've been there. This forum has been a wonderful place to connect with others that understand. Like JenM, I've had complications post-op (different complications than hers) and I am returning to surgery on Monday, August 16 to have my bone graft replaced. I pretty much know what to expect, but I'm still scared. I can say that even from Day One post-op, I've not regretted having this done. The ability of being able to take a deep breath without feeling constricted on one side has been well worth the pain. And it's the thought of being able to be a "normal" person (and mom) after all the recovering is done is what has gotten me through this. Good luck!

Comment

Wow--it's really great to hear from JenM and JennyRN and others that despite your complications you are glad you went through with the surgery.

Just for a slightly different perspective, I actually cancelled my Sept. 15th surgery date because of some of the fears JamieAnn has expressed. I know I will have to do it, but I am not ready yet.

BUT, I think the point someone made about doing it early and young while your curves are not so great is truly important, because maybe you can get away with a smaller fusion. I also have had 1-2 degree progression per year, but now my biggest curve is around 70* so most of the surgeons are recommending fusing basically everything (T3 or 4 to L5 or sacrum). So, this is a long-winded way of saying that if I could have done it 10 years ago and fused fewer levels, I would have. If you can have a selective fusion now and avoid going all the way down later, I'd go for it!

Best wishes,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Thanks Jamie Ann for posting about your feelings of doubt. I just had my first round of preop testing yesterday in NY. I had to go onto the "surgery" floor at one point during the day. Well, I thought I was going to start crying. I just felt overwhelmed. I had some time in between appts., sat outside, watched people walk by and thought "what the 'h' and am I doing". I do have constant pain, but it's tolerable. I came back around though because I believe this surgery is the right thing for me and that my curve, deformity and negative effects on my body will continue. This surgery is (I believe always) elective, and so we have to make the decision when the timing is right, if ever. I had my bones, lungs and heart checked to see if I'm in good condition for surgery and that really made me realize that I'm not going to get into better condition with age, and to increase my chances for a good outcome I want to do it now. Luckily too I saw my surgeon last. It was good to see him, he's very calm and has a reassuring way about him. He also gave me some news I was very happy about, that after reviewing my MRI and bending xrays he feels I'm a good candidate for the selective fusion, about t2 or 3 to t11 or 12, with the knowledge I may need an extension in the future. I know this will not be an option for me much longer, I still have good flexibility in my lumbar (one good think about my back). It sounds like you are able to have a shorter fusion at this point too. My aunt had a terrible deformity, she was very hunched on one side and hips very uneven. I'm not sure how else this affected her life, but I don't want to end up that way. As, many have said doing this while your still in good health and before your curve get bigger and stiffer will increase your chances of a good outcome. JenM - I had to laugh about the "happy juice". I've joked with my husband too that he may have to hit me over the head with a frying pan on the way to the hospital, but happy juice sounds alot better. Jamie Ann - good luck with coping and your preparations over the next month
          Debra
          Age 45
          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
          Fused T4-T12
          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
          X