Still ok at 3 years post-op exam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie Bee,

You scanned all those books? What were they thinking? Yikes! Glad to hear you survived in relatively good shape!

Your grandkids are absolute angels! Oh my gosh, they're gorgeous. You must be so proud...and your anniversary is quite noteworthy. Wow!

We adopted a yellow lab from an animal shelter and he would run at any instant he could find an opportunity. I felt like such an old lady trying to run after him. I was lucky that in the most critical runs, someone else in the distance was able to catch him. Otherwise he would have been run over in traffic. I finally said, if he runs again, I can't run after him again...he's just gone. I'm too old for this. And lo and behold...he stopped running. Thank God! I'm absolutely amazed you were able to catch him. That is a miracle!

So glad to hear things are going well.
    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Susie Bee,

I'm glad to hear that you are "fine with your spine", and putting it to the test!

Welch terriers are really smart dogs, and they can push buttons......I see you have found that one out! LOL It’s a good thing it wasn’t a Jack Russell.....

So, does Huck get any extras while you are cooking? or is he cutoff?
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Susie B, Dog Hero!!

Well, there ya go. They live among us, these everyday scoli heros making the world a better place for men, women... and dogs.
        But seriously Susie, it's interesting to hear about some long term issues. Especially those of us who have other conditions, ie arthritis, which I also suffer from. And yes this can cause a blurring of the line, if you will, of what is scoli caused, and what's just the aging process. The "Aging Process," what a euphemism! More like the aging NIGHTMARE! But no, I'M NOT BITTER!
        So, your discomfort and the sharing of it can be a comforting revelation to others, and it's kind of you to do so. Misery does love company, so they say. I think it's great to "check in" with one's physican every year just to get that confirmation that we are indeed okay and can continue to "dive for dogs" if the need arises
        Thanks for sharing and my best to you as always,
        Sharon
        Singing the Blues
        Female 1951
        A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
        Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

[QUOTE=Susie*Bee;105844]OK, let's see how I do...

Kristy (and Sally)-- I'm pretty sure my sciatica is all based on the end of the year stuff I was doing at school-- trying to scan those 14,000 books, and the ones on the shelves down at floor level were just too much. It is much better now. I hope yours will subside with time and PT. I just laid low and rested and hoped it would go away with not working it any and that seemed to help. What is your Hoosier get together? At the moment I feel like I've been driving all over the state as it is. I live in the middle of no where, and this week had to drive an hour to La Porte to have my mamogram and dexa done on T, on W and F drove 2 hours (each way) to Marion to help Huck's mama get her classroom ready for K which starts this week, and then on Thursday was my scoli appt. in Chicago which is 2+ hours. Tomorrow (M) we are going to Fort Wayne (almost 2 hours) to move another daughter and her husband to New Castle. My mammo came back with problems so I have to go back up there again this week. Plus my school starts at the end of the week. Ahhhh, life. What else can we throw in there???? And I already know my dexa will come back bad. Oh well. My drive to Indy (Naptown) is two hours... so what is this Hoosier thing???? And when?

QUOTE]

Susie Bee,
          There really is no official Hoosier "thing". I got together with Confusedmom (Evelyn) and LisaB last week for lunch and we had a fun gabfest for 2 hours talking all things scoli. Lisa is going in for her surgery on Aug 31 and we talked about getting together sometime after that when she is feeling up to it. And we talked about maybe if others in the area wanted to join us it would be so fun.....Sooooo if you wanted to make the 2 hour journey WOW!!!
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Susie B,

Thanks for the good laugh. I'm glad you're okay as well. I can just picture it, and I know I would have done the same thing. And if you are anything like me, you would do it again before thinking!!!

Shari

Comment

[QUOTE=naptown78;105907]
              Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
              OK, let's see how I do...

Kristy (and Sally)-- I'm pretty sure my sciatica is all based on the end of the year stuff I was doing at school-- trying to scan those 14,000 books, and the ones on the shelves down at floor level were just too much. It is much better now. I hope yours will subside with time and PT. I just laid low and rested and hoped it would go away with not working it any and that seemed to help. What is your Hoosier get together? At the moment I feel like I've been driving all over the state as it is. I live in the middle of no where, and this week had to drive an hour to La Porte to have my mamogram and dexa done on T, on W and F drove 2 hours (each way) to Marion to help Huck's mama get her classroom ready for K which starts this week, and then on Thursday was my scoli appt. in Chicago which is 2+ hours. Tomorrow (M) we are going to Fort Wayne (almost 2 hours) to move another daughter and her husband to New Castle. My mammo came back with problems so I have to go back up there again this week. Plus my school starts at the end of the week. Ahhhh, life. What else can we throw in there???? And I already know my dexa will come back bad. Oh well. My drive to Indy (Naptown) is two hours... so what is this Hoosier thing???? And when?

QUOTE]

Susie Bee,
              There really is no official Hoosier "thing". I got together with Confusedmom (Evelyn) and LisaB last week for lunch and we had a fun gabfest for 2 hours talking all things scoli. Lisa is going in for her surgery on Aug 31 and we talked about getting together sometime after that when she is feeling up to it. And we talked about maybe if others in the area wanted to join us it would be so fun.....Sooooo if you wanted to make the 2 hour journey WOW!!!
              Ahhhh-- just an informal little get-together. That sounds fun. But I am a total failure at knowing my way around Indy! Last winter I had to go pick my hubby up at the airport and was a basket case just doing that. Sense of direction? I just wasn't born with one...

Right now I feel like I'm done with driving around the state for awhile... we left for Fort Wayne at 7 AM for moving day, got the stuff moved to New Castle, left there last night at 9:00, ran into construction on I 65 near Zionsville, stopped to eat dinner at 11:00 PM in Lebanon, and got home at 1 AM. Then up at 6:15 this morning for re-do of my mammogram up in LaPorte, which turned out to be fine... Whew. I'm tired today.
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ballet Mom-- the books are part of my job-- end of the year inventory, checking to see that all the books are there. It's the pits. Thanks about my grandkids-- yes, they are precious. And our 38th is this month, so that's fun. Makes you feel like "wow, we are old!" but at the same time you remember it all like it was yesterday. 1972. It was two years after my melanoma. I was glad to be alive, hoping to have some years ahead. Excited I've had 38! Who can ask for more? The Lord is good! And about dogs-- we have always had labs and retrievers. Right now we have a black lab that my youngest daughter and I told my husband he would not have to do anything with-- we would do all the work. Then she went off to college and is now married. And then I found out about my scoli severity and had my surgery... and I cannot handle an 85 lb. hunk of pure energy. Guess who takes care of Zeke?

Ed-- when Huck goes "ballistic"-- it's kind of like fireworks going off in all directions at once. As for tidbits, for some reason he doesn't really like the kitchen. Now the dining room is different... and Abraham likes to feed him extras from his high chair. Huck knows just the right places to be, at just the right times... Of course, turnabout is fair play, so Abraham has been known to try Huck's food out too, on occasion, before the grown ups can grab him...

Sharon C-- yes, there are those other ailments that some have and some don't. I just think it's great we can do what we can do. It's like thinking back to right after surgery and realizing you can do hardly anything, but that doesn't last very long. Thank goodness! But it's very eye opening, isn't it! We take so much for granted. I'm grateful I can get around and do so much. I look and feel fairly energetic most of the time, even though at the end of the day I usually go home and collapse, tired and ready to take it easy and recoup and regroup for the next day. My school year is about to start up again so I'm trying to psych myself up. I love the kids and what I do-- it just zaps all my energy. Oh well. I will get through it and enjoy it. I just wish the day was shorter and I was younger! You younger ones-- enjoy your youth!

Janet-- yes, our grandsons are the same age-- mine were born April 30 and May 7. Glad your chiro helped you out. My neck mostly just gets to aching after doing too much. (Like now!)

Shari--it seems like there are a lot of animal lovers amidst our group! Ahhh, the daring deeds we'd do! It was a bit reckless though. I'm just glad I didn't do any damage-- and that I actually caught the little sheista. It could have gone the other route, and then where would the fame and glory be????

If I left someone out, I'm sorry... I'd better get busy and do some things for school. Take care everyone. I'll be on the forum a bit less with school starting back up. I know I always say these things and then end up coming back. We're a family. Love you all!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie--
                  You're posts always make me feel good. Had to tell you we also celebrated 38 years in June --1972--yeah, a good year. We're a bit behind on grandbabies but daughter number 2 is having a girl in November. After having 4 of those myself it will be good to get back to those cute frilly things. 2 married--02 and 04. Now the other 2 girls are both engaged--June 2011 & June 2012. We may need to come out of retirement to pay for it. Anyway, best of luck with school and see if next year you can hire a scanner! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

SusieBee - You're always so inspiring. Happy to hear you're doing well after 3 years. At 56 getting ready to go through this I'm a little nervous. Especially when I read about some of the problems. But you and some of the others my age are very inspirational and I know I can get through this with flying colors. Thanks with your help along the way.
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Lisa-- yours is coming up really soon. I'll be praying for you. It's no picnic, for sure-- but you know that already. Recovery is hard work. But then, isn't everything that is worth much to you? All our lives we work hard for the things that count the most; our families, our homes, maybe our jobs???-- whatever we treasure. And with our scoli clan, of course we treasure our health and well-being. Once the surgeon reconstructs that spine foundation, we have to work hard at adjusting to all the changes and to all the healing that's involved. No easy task at all. Definitely not for wimps! When you come through surgery, on the "other side", you become a fighter. You fight for the life you want back. You become a really strong person because you've been where very few people have been... down to the depths and then you work your way back. We all do it and it works out. Slowly. Baby steps. Patience. Learning to appreciate how far you've come. And when you get discouraged (because we all do) knowing that's ok, but not to get stuck there. If you're stuck, get help.

Oops. Here I am talking too much. Lisa-- you will do great. Take it one day at a time. Know that the first 3 weeks are the roughest. Then the first 3 months. Look back if you're discouraged and see how far you've come. I had a scrapbook, so I literally could look back. It helped. Some people keep a journal. Some just remember-- although our brains are kind of like mush for awhile. But looking back helps when you think you're not moving forward. Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thanks Susie!
                        Age 56
                        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                        Thoracic 68
                        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                        Dr Bridwell St Louis
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
                        X