7 Months Post-Op Lifting Weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
    I walked about 1-1.25 miles a day. Nothing too crazy, but it had a lot of down hill then I would walk back the same route and it was uphill. That might be why. My back did get tight from that. I might walk around on treadmill and use the bike for some light cardio at the gym with no weights. I felt like when I did that on Wednesday, it somewhat helped. But when I got that massage and walked, that is when my back hurt the most.

This morning, I definitely still feel the pain in my back, but it's not as bad as yesterday. I just need to let it heal slowly and take it easy. I didn't need physical therapy, my doctor said everything looked great and I just needed time to heal on my own. I won't be getting any more massages because this isn't the first time I felt somewhat stiff from one.
    One more thing then I'll stop bugging you--a physical therapist might be good to show you the right way you should be doing exercise in your new body. I know you're very familiar with exercise prior to surgery, but you're not the same person you were before. My PT helped me tremendously and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I went on a walk the other night and definitely felt it in my back the next day. I guess walking isn't helping. I took very slow steps and breaks to not work out my back too hard.

I just don't get it. This pain doesn't want to go away. I have the back cracking feeling when I wake up and it's not a good feeling. It feels like something in the equipment is moving maybe? I hope I don't need another surgery because that would suck. I don't understand why I keep having this pain. I'm going to go get an x-ray asap to make sure nothing serious happened.
      Last edited by JDM555; 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

My back is healing, but very very slowly. My back feels very sensitive still and when I bend or sit or twist a certain way, my lower right hurts. I still get the crack every morning when I get from from laying on my side while sleeping. I really don't like the feeling of that crack. I never use to get any cracks which is worrying me that it might be a broken rod. I am scheduling an x-ray hopefully for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
          My back is healing, but very very slowly. My back feels very sensitive still and when I bend or sit or twist a certain way, my lower right hurts. I still get the crack every morning when I get from from laying on my side while sleeping. I really don't like the feeling of that crack. I never use to get any cracks which is worrying me that it might be a broken rod. I am scheduling an x-ray hopefully for next week.
          I remember early in my recovery while walking (maybe a little too fast), I swear I felt something moving back there. I think it was my back muscles (that were cut) getting used to moving again. It felt so odd for a while.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious for you. Obviously, try to avoid whatever movements make it hurt. Hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            I remember early in my recovery while walking (maybe a little too fast), I swear I felt something moving back there. I think it was my back muscles (that were cut) getting used to moving again. It felt so odd for a while.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious for you. Obviously, try to avoid whatever movements make it hurt. Hang in there.
            Hmmm, I wouldn't say I feel anything "moving". It feels tight and secure, but the lower right hurts right along the rod and that is where it hurts me when I bend or do anything. It's been hurting for about a week now. Also, the cracking is getting louder and worse. It use to be a slight crack or popping sound. Now it's loud and I can feel it in my back big time. I wouldn't say it hurts though.

Comment

hey John..
              i'd see the doctor/surgeon...why worry...??!

hope it is nothing but doing too much...i suspect you are a little ...impatient...to get back to your usual gym thing...but it is not worth messing with the fusion!! hopefully, it will heal with time...

good luck...
              jess

Comment

Yeah, I asked my father to schedule an appointment hopefully within the next week to get an Xray. I think I pushed it a bit too much during the gym. That might be why, but I don't understand how the rod would break. It should be able to withstand way more than what I did.

Also, what is the difference now in the rod strength versus after the fusion takes place? Wouldn't the rod break if I did the same workout that caused it to break now? I have been taking it easy, so I hope it gets harder to break after the fusion because this isn't going to work out for me.

Comment

Went to doctor yesterday. Said that cracking was normal and the hardware looks just like it should be. He said since I'm still at 8 months post-op, I will have some soreness and aching, but that it's normal. He said I can return to the gym and just watch out from exercises that put pressure on the spine. So I guess no broken rod. Thank God.
                  John

Comment

John

No worries. I'm counting on you this winter to help me with shoveling some snow..... I will only need you if it gets really deep, like over my head.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

so good to hear that all is well with your back...

please take it a little slower at the gym! cause if "this doesnt work" for you...it's a little late...

best regards...
                      jess

Comment

Great to hear that you are okay, John...

Keep in touch here from time to time, especially as you begin to do really well!

Ed,
                        I'm thinking a group of us on-the-fencers should come to Reno to help you shovel your snow. (Maybe Back-out, Jess, me....anyone else?) The first one to need immediate surgery wins!
                        Amy
                        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                        Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          John

No worries. I'm counting on you this winter to help me with shoveling some snow..... I will only need you if it gets really deep, like over my head.

Ed
                          Lol. You are always crackin' me up Ed. I just got back from the gym and it's tight as a MOTHER! If the doctor says my back looks good and it's normal, then I guess it's fine.
                          John

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                          so good to hear that all is well with your back...

please take it a little slower at the gym! cause if "this doesnt work" for you...it's a little late...

best regards...
                          jess
                          Yeah, thanks a lot Jess. I am taking it slow. Yesterday and today I didn't lift much. I am tight but no severe pain. Hopefully after a few months it all improves.
                          John
                          Originally posted by foofer View Post
                          Great to hear that you are okay, John...

Keep in touch here from time to time, especially as you begin to do really well!
                          Thanks Foofer! I will always update my threads and keep everyone updated on how my back is doing. I just hope I get a full 110% heal so I can lift 5 days a week and not have anything stopping me.
                          John

Comment

John
                            The tightness takes a long time, I still get a little tight from time to time....

I found that the arm bike helped with that issue. It also helps with toning and toughening the muscles that run over the rods and screw heads. Exercise can only help, but take it slow. Some things to know about.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtrauma
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%27s_law
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_remodeling
                            Hang in there, it gets better.

Amy
                            I have the shoveling covered with John. I could use you guys to help push the car when I get stuck. LOL

Actually we could have the "injured persons dance contest" that I suggested down at the hospital. They didn’t think that one was too funny. Oh well...I asked if we could have wheelchair races in the hall, but that one was rejected also.

With all this fun, we all need to remember that there is no race going into surgery, or in recovery.
                            Ed

My x-rays

Comment

one more
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%27s_Law

Your muscles will adapt.
                              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

John,
                                I'm glad everything is still ok. Yes like Ed said, it take time for the tightness to go away but it eventually does get better--slowly.

Comment

Working...
                                X