No announcement yet.

Melissa's life -update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just take it easy as you are doing Melissa until you see your doctor. Please dont worry though as that won't change anything. Just take one day at a time and only do what your body lets you do.

Thinking and praying for you
    Lorraine. "scoli hugs across the ocean"
    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Good morning Melissa -- So sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. You have had a tough time. I do hope you're dr is able to come up with some answers for you when you go on the 16th. Know you're in the thoughts and prayers of many. Take good care of yourself and don't push too much.

Glenda
      Glenda
      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Melissa--
        I am so sorry things aren't going better for you. I hope your surgeon can provide some answers. I remember feeling pretty good at about 3 months and then going downhill after about 7 months. Everyone is so different. Hopefully, you'll have been through the worst and will soon have clear sailing. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Melissa,
          Just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers and that we all face different challenges with this. It's hard not to compare recoveries and corrections, etc. but try to keep the big picture in mind. It will get better at some point, but it's so frustrating when you can't do what you want to do, esp. if you're dealing with other things that stress you out. Read some of Titanium Ed's posts--talk about an inspiration!!! I could say I was pretty lucky with my recovery, but the pain in my hip from this screw is sort of getting worse (I supect, as I heal and the bone fuses around it) and I keep stressing about how I'm going to fit a surgery to remove it into my school year schedule. For all of us, it's one day at a time. Hoping that brighter days are ahead for you soon!!!

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I try not to worry about the pain. The thing is , I felt so good in June and then I went down hill, that is what is bothering me

Thanks for the good throughts

Melissa

Comment

Not long till you see your surgeon. I hope you get the answers you need Melissa.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I certainly hope so . Before the sugery I had pain, but I could do what I needed to do. Now I walk like I am 70 with a cane and I cannot lift any thing nor do what I need to do

Melissa

Comment

Melissa-

I wish I lived closer so I could just pop over to see you....do any others of us live nearby??

I did have times after my surgery that I seemed to be taking steps backwards...two steps forward, one step back, but I could read in my journal how overall, I was making progress. It was s l o w at times but it was still progress. It seems we all have types of 'minor' complications on our recovery journey - minor complications in that they mostly resolve themselves given time. I had my share and posted at times to get advice or support - I did not post as often as I could have. Perhaps when we are in the midst of our problems with recovery we are so concentrated on improving that we forget to post here and that's why there are more 'success' posts than setback posts. Not sure - I just know that when I was having those feelings of depression the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it, on here or with anyone else. I did however, write about it in my journal. It didn't help to relieve it but I felt it was important to document it. Soon after the pain meds were out of my system the depression cleared up and I began to feel like myself again.

As for driving, I had surgery #2 on April 14 and didn't drive until August 5th. I wasn't ready until then and didn't want to be on pain med. while driving so I waited. I felt like I was slower than a lot of people on here in regaining those kinds of skills but it was not helpful to focus on what others were doing and berate myself because I wasn't there yet - I see that now... We are all different - What Debbe said about focusing on positives right now is very helpful.

August 16th is coming up soon so I'm praying you can get some answers then!
                  Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                  Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                  Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                  A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                  Achieved +70% Correction
                  Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                  New Spine 03/19/2009
                  New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Too soon!!!

Melissa,
                    This surgery is so mega, with the whole architecture of the trunk realigned, there is no way to be comfortable this soon after surgery. It was a good 18 months before I didn't have to take 'something" for pain. The healing process is very slow. The nerves, spinal cord, joints, tendons must adjust. There Is no speeding it up. There Will be good days and bad days.

Try not to get too fearful because this will make you nuts.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hi melissa
                      i am hoping and praying that the next 3 months make up in recovery for what you are going through now!

feel better soon!
                      jess

Comment

Thanks

I am waiting until a week from tomorrow to see what the surgeon says

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                        X