X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the name's been taken but not the methodology

Not so far as I know, anyhow.

http://www.postureminder.co.uk/howpmworks.html

For anyone wondering why I haven't "gotten the show on the road" with these ideas, one reason is this problem with patents - how to do the pre-market survey to insure your application doesn't duplicate an idea already extant.

There are programs purporting to do this, but ...
    And companies do it too (this is their own intellectual patent!), though soft-ware to do it is apparently no longer patentable according to a recent court ruling.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I was allowed a walker right after surgery for about 5 -6 days but then when I went to rehab ,I only was allowed a cane and that is what I have been using at home ever since.

Melissa

Comment

I got it! No more walker. It is gonna be so hard to go for long walks now. My L side/buttock hurts so bad from pulling shoulders back and tucking backside in all day. I had to revert to a pain pill which I am nearly off of, ugh! Much more work ahead. I go to my MD next week for a 6 week check up, I will ask for PT. I have to return to work in 7 weeks yeeouuch!
        Thanks,
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Leaning forward.....

Janet

I think the difference between serious and maybe not so serious is if you can "make" yourself stand up straight. If you look at yourself in the mirror and pull yourself up and can get straight, maybe your muscles are just weak and need time to get stronger. Do as much walking as you can. My problem after my first surgery was more serious. Immediately after surgery, I could not even make myself straight. I remember backing up to the bathroom sink and pulling myself back as hard as I could and I still couldn't get straight. I had a sagittal imbalance and recently had a revision to correct this. Sometimes I find myself leaning forward still but I think its because that is what I am used to and then I get mad at myself and straighten right up! As far as the walker talk, after my first surgery I could not walk from my bed to the bathroom without using my walker due to all my pain. I was astounded that some people were talking of not using walkers because I was having such a hard time. After my second surgery though, I only used one in the hospital and have never felt the need to use one at home. I think it is strictly an individual thing.
          You are still so early in your recovery, I would give it more time, but definitely mention it to your surgeon on your next checkup! Good luck....
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
            Janet

I think the difference between serious and maybe not so serious is if you can "make" yourself stand up straight. If you look at yourself in the mirror and pull yourself up and can get straight, maybe your muscles are just weak and need time to get stronger. Do as much walking as you can. My problem after my first surgery was more serious. Immediately after surgery, I could not even make myself straight. I remember backing up to the bathroom sink and pulling myself back as hard as I could and I still couldn't get straight. I had a sagittal imbalance and recently had a revision to correct this. Sometimes I find myself leaning forward still but I think its because that is what I am used to and then I get mad at myself and straighten right up! As far as the walker talk, after my first surgery I could not walk from my bed to the bathroom without using my walker due to all my pain. I was astounded that some people were talking of not using walkers because I was having such a hard time. After my second surgery though, I only used one in the hospital and have never felt the need to use one at home. I think it is strictly an individual thing.
            You are still so early in your recovery, I would give it more time, but definitely mention it to your surgeon on your next checkup! Good luck....
            These are all important points and useful distinctions.

With walkers, I think there needs to be more discriminatory use and definitely careful height adjustment! I discovered recently I could do without much more than I'd thought - as long as I'm not carrying anything.

I wonder about using the side rails on my treadmill too. I 'm sure I've been hunching over a lot more because of my "ambulation aids".

All this will matter much more after surgery! It will be hard to make myself stand straight (provided the correction was done so I CAN, Kristy!), after the spinal muscles have been cut. In fact, I don't really know how people are supposed to be able to pull this off, between the muscle severing and the weakness!
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I can fully understand you being concerned but as Kristy says, it is still very early days for you. Are you able to force yourself upright? If so, I would imagine it's just a matter of time and retraining those muscles. I would be ditching the walker as often as possible though, because it's possible it's not helping with your "uprightness". Glad you're seeing your surgeon soon to clarify this and get some answers. It's no fun worrying about these things.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I can force myself upright, but don't like it much, uncomfortable. I am going to borrow my Mom's cane for long walks, I have NO idea how to use one, seems strange. If I went out w/o anything I can cruz prob 2mph!! Do feel better after taking my pain med and not as uncomfortable to make myself walk upright with it.
                Janet
                36 year young cardiac RN
                old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Back to the walker "thing"-- I never used one, even in the hospital. If you click on the "pics of me" in my signature, you can see one of me walking the halls, and my only help was a PT member's arm for support (and someone to wheel the IV along). Please pardon the hair-- hadn't given it a thought at this point... Who cares??? I think it was day 6 when a nurse kindly said "you might want to brush your teeth today, dear." It had never occurred to me at all... (Of course, in my defense, I had that ileus and wasn't allowed food or water all that time, so I'm sure they actually hadn't brought it up nor would have let me... maybe.

Janet-- one word of caution about the cane thing-- my surgeon also didn't like those very much. Make sure that it's at the right height so that you aren't tilting to the side at all. It was alright with him that I used it on the stairs because then I had equal support on both sides. I KNOW, all of this leaves one between a rock and a hard place. Probably, just use whatever you need for support but be conscious of holding your body upright. And check on it in store windows and mirrors, etc. and see how you are doing. Best wishes!
                  Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Nordic Walking Poles

Hi All,

Although I was issued a walker when I came home from rehab, I quickly switched to Nordic Walking Poles. I adjusted them to the right height, and they help me walk without bending over. They help with balance as well. I highly recommend these poles to anyone who tends to bend over.

Karen
                    Karen, 66 years "young"
                    Polio at 6
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Three surgeries in one week:
                    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Nordic Walking poles - Indoor use? And what abt insurance?

Originally posted by lumbar3491 View Post
                      Hi All,

Although I was issued a walker when I came home from rehab, I quickly switched to Nordic Walking Poles. I adjusted them to the right height, and they help me walk without bending over. They help with balance as well. I highly recommend these poles to anyone who tends to bend over.

Karen
                      I've read about them in the last few days (since you mentioned them)
                      They sound interesting! I wonder, though

whether they would be reimbursed by insurance (if prescribed)
                      whether they can be used indoors.

For those of us in Northern climates having surgery in Winter, it looks like Mall walking will be the thing (God help my budge! ) I've been worried about my treadmill (but thought I'd rely on it).

Now, though, I'm seriously concerned about its postural effects since I already see I tend to hunch over on it because of the side rails. This iS dismaying to think about (though I'm glad to learn about it). *sigh* One more coping strategy bites the dust!

But these look like ski poles. Can't be healthy for hardwood floors and the Mall designers may have rules against them. Likewise, indoor tracks.

Comment

IM not expert either but my son had a walker after his shunt surgery, HEIGHT adjustment plays a HUGE role... When he first got it they had it height for him to stand straight as could be and couple days later when leaving they adjusted it again as he was standing up more.I was told by the PT to watch him with it and make sure he doesnt start to lean when walking or it might need to be adjust again... He doesnt use one at all now but it did help him alot after surgery.
                        Kelly
                        mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
                        Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
                        Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
                        Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
                        Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
                        scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
                        Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Just to put in my two cents worth. I used a walker on my first outing with my PT in the hospital, then pretty much walked with the support of an individual until I was steady on my feet. My kids loved "helping" Mommy around the hospital floor. One held the IV, the other, my arm.

I did have a caretaker or relative walk the neighborhood w/me for the first few weeks, while I was on too many meds to feel secure walking myself, after that I walked on my own.

They did not want me on any assisted devise if I did not need it.

I would think that some PT and retraining of the tight muscles would straighten things out. I am having issues with my back being very stiff and my gait being stiff and different that I am trying to work out with my therapist.

Good luck.

Melissa; 46 years
                          March 31, 2110 surgery
                          T9-L5 fusion
                          Pre Op 60% Curve
                          Post Op 20% Curve

Comment

I had no walker nor cane. The PT allowed me to use the walker the first time I got up to walk and after that no walker. I was able to handle walking without assistance very quickly for which I am very grateful. With my posture (previously), I probably would have had a tendency to lean forward if had used a walker.
                            Glenda
                            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                            Pleased with outcome

Comment

I don't mean to be cranky about this, but isn't it better to use a walker or a cane rather than risk falling? There ARE post-op people who simply don't have a choice if they want to walk at all....and most surgeons urge all of their patients to walk as much as they can tolerate.

I agree with CamsMom that the height and fit of any assistive device is extremely important. You CAN be conscious of posture while using a walker or cane -- I know I was.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Of course you're not being cranky, Chris (or at least I don't see it that way) -- you're presenting a very legitimate point. You had leg problems. Some people definitely need to use a walker. But there are others who don't. I got along perfectly fine without one, at the ripe old age of 56. And I keep reading about all these much younger people with their walkers and wonder about it. And then I read things like this quote earlier in this thread from JenParker and question it even more:

"I decided that I would keep walking but my whole focus would be on standing up straight because I've seen too many fusion patients walk forward for the rest of their lives."

That is scary. Today when I was out walking my country trail (it's 5 acres around our yard, just doing it twice right now) I kept reminding myself to keep my shoulders straight and my head up and not to worry too much about the grass tufts and the mole hills and runs and such, and told hubby if he didn't see me sometime when he comes home, I'd be out on the trail somewhere. I do lean forward a little going up the inclines, but that's it, and that's natural. Right? Have to admit it is much easier when I do the treadmill inside in the afternoon-- nice and steady, no lumps for my feet. But lumps for your feet are actually good for you; my PT used to have me stand on surfaces that would make you have to balance and shift. It was awfully hot and muggy though-- and buggy too. We are having lots of heat and humidity. A disadvantage of the midwest. (I grew up in CA.) Right now it's 86º, with a heat index of 99º. Yuck.
                                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                                X