Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else with an August surgery date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to wish Kathy, jChris and Tiffany good luck getting ready for your surgeries next week. I'm sure you're all very hectic getting things settled in your lives. Before you know it, it will be here and you'll be in recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Yes, good luck next week with your surgeries! Keep us posted as you can. Kathy, I'll be anxious to hear about the St Louis stay since I'll be there for about 2 weeks.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Debra and Lisa, thanks so much for your words of encouragement! Kathy, Tiffany, I wish you the best with your upcoming surgeries.

Kathy, I know we share the same surgery date. How are you feeling? I am on a roller coaster of feeling nervous, panicked, totally calm. I can't believe the surgery is so close. I am somewhat numb at times. I can't seem to sleep past 3AM or 4AM and my hubby tells me I am tossing and turning all night. I guess that is part of this "adventure".

I know I am in the best hands of my medical team and will come out the other side (as many of you describe) a much stronger person.

Good luck to all the August/September group. I hope to post soon after my surgery or will ask my husband to provide an update before I am able to get back to the forum.

Best regards to all,,,,,,
        Chris, Austin, TX
        80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
        Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
        C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
        New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
        Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Yes, good luck to all of you in August and September. You'll play catch up with the lost sleep--after the surgery you will be doing lots of sleeping. All of your feelings sound very normal. We will await you on the other side and pray for great outcomes for all of you! You'll do great. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Best wishes to all of you. Before you know it, you will be on the healing side too. Bet most of us here have experienced the same feelings you all are. I know I certainly wanted to back out, but when it came time, I was calm and at peace about it.

Look forward to hearing from all of you after your surgeries.

Glenda
            Glenda
            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Best of luck to all of you having surgery in August or September.
              Kathy, I'm anxious to hear from you following surgery since Dr. Lenke will be my surgeon in Jan.

I wil be thinking of Chris and Kathy on Monday. I'm hoping you have a smooth surgery and recovery.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Best wishes to all the August folks! Please do post (or have someone post for you) as soon as possible afterwards. There are many of us on the forum, I think, who think of you in the hospital and worry if we don't hear!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Tiffany-

I hate rollercosters too and I took my 2 kids to Hershey Park the weekend before my surgery. I figured I'd never be able to ride them again after surgery and wanted to have fun with my kids. It was a great time!

Best of luck to all who are having surgery in August. Can't wait to read your post-op postings. THere is so much support on this forum it is great!

JenM
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Jen-

That is so weird! I'm going to Hershey Park on Saturday (the weekend before my surgery!). Sunday I'm off to the Lancaster Barn Stormers, minor league baseball team. Then only two more days of work after that!
                    Tiffany K
                    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                    4'11", never braced
                    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Tiffany-

I only live 1 1/2 hours from Hershey so we go there every summer. I am kind of bummed I can't go on rollercoasters anymore since my 5 year old loves them. So I took tons of pictures of us at Hershey hoping in a few years he'll look back and remember how I used to go on them.

What surgeon are you using?
                      Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                      Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                      Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                      Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                      31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

My time has come....

I leave tomorrow for St. Louis. My central line placement will be Friday and surgery Monday. Thanks for all of your well wishes!

I will do my best to document the journey, especially things that are specific to Barnes and St. Louis for Karen (golfnut) and LisaB. Tiffany, I'll be thinking about you. jChris, good luck on Monday with your neck.

It's really been crazy trying to check off everything on my checklist and to keep exercising and to get plenty of sleep and to spend time with my daughter. My girlfriends threw a surprise "good luck" brunch for me on Sunday. It was the nicest thing. They brought me all kinds of puzzle books and novels .

Today was rough though. I read a post on another thread that said that curve progression is not a significant enough factor to have this surgery and I pretty much freaked out. I have a large, progressive thoracolumbar curve and my primary goal is to halt progression and to stay upright and mobile in my old age. Maybe the forum needs a "happy juice" filter for those of us who are close to surgery.

I will ask my huband to post on my behalf while I'm in the hospital. I would truly appreciate all of prayers and positive thoughts!!!
                        Kathy
                        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Kathy -- I willl be praying all goes well for you on Monday and that you remain at peace about your decision and the surgery. It will be over before you know it and you'll be on your way to healing.
                          Glenda
                          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Good Luck Kathy! Everything willl work out great! I'll be thinking of you.
                            Age 56
                            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                            Thoracic 68
                            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                            Dr Bridwell St Louis
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Kathy--
                              What thoughtful girlfriends! You're in good hands with Dr. Lenke. I had central line on Friday and Monday surgery too. Lots of positives prayers and thoughts coming your way. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Kathy,
                                I will sure be thinking of you Mon. with positive thoughts and prayers. I'm thinking about calling Dr. Lenke's office with some questions on Wed. and will get a report from Kelly about your surgery. I know the thread you were talking about that bothered you. It upset me, also, until I read some of the other replies. We are lucky to have one of the best surgeons in the country.
                                How sweet are your girlfriends! I hope mine think to do something like that. Support is so necessary from family and friends.
                                Good luck! You'll be on the other side soon and you will start moving forward with your recovery.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X