Feeling my rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Just found a great illustration of the posterior view of the sacrum and ilium, which happens to show what it looks like when we sit. You have to love that the measuring device is called an assometer.

http://www.nidus-corp.com/TinyImages.../assometer.jpg

--Linda

I can't seem to stop laughing at this! I am sitting here giggling like an idiot.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I don't feel my rods. only when i put my hands on my back i do feel the rods.
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        I can't seem to stop laughing at this! I am sitting here giggling like an idiot.

sharon
        OMG, that's a riot !!!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Just found a great illustration of the posterior view of the sacrum and ilium, which happens to show what it looks like when we sit. You have to love that the measuring device is called an assometer.

http://www.nidus-corp.com/TinyImages.../assometer.jpg

--Linda

That is just too funny. I needed a good joke
          Thanks
          Melissa

Comment

Rods and bones..

Hey guys.. I'm only fused t4-t11 and 7 weeks post op.. Doing great! I am sure I can feel some rods or
            Screws. Also have a lot of numbness in muscles all around my scar and shoulder blades. But most recently I've started to bend from about L1? We didn't fuse both curves hoping the bottom one will correct itself in time. Since getting more movement back these bones about t12,l1,l2& l3 are really sticking out and sore.. Has any had this experience or ideas why it would be? I'm a little worried I've got to be careful not to slouch and damage the chance of my lumbar straightening...
            Thanks guys
            Kellie 25yrs
            Melbourne, Aus
            Diagnosed 1998- brace for 3 years
            2006 curves showed progression
            Before surgery T45* L43*
            25/5/10 posterior fusion T4-T11
            Post surgery T<20* L27*
            Fingers crossed for more improvement on lumbar before 12 months!

Comment

I have always felt the rods since surgery, and more so now since I'm off the meds, especially when I walk. It feels quite strange but certainly not painful
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

for what it's worth

Hi Amanda -
                For what it's worth, I am fused to S2... I'm not sure if you can tell that from the x-ray I posted in my signature or not - you can zoom in on it and see better in that area though - maybe that helps.

Linda -
                Your sitting skeletal diagrams are very helpful. I too love the 'assometer'. I'd like to know who named that gizmo - they certainly had a sense of humor!
                Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                Achieved +70% Correction
                Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                New Spine 03/19/2009
                New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                  Linda (if you're still out 'there' )

I wonder if you can answer my question a few posts above - about whether there is variation of what fusion to the sacrum means. I explain there that I have sacral pain and that it doesn't feel (or sound) like my sacrum is entirely solid anymore.

Do you perchance have any images such as you've posted, actually showing fusions to the sacrum - how and where the hardware attaches?
                  Again, I'm wondering if it every varies - for instance, to include more of the sacrum than just S1 (which I assume is what the topmost sacral vertebra would be if it were still separate from the rest)?

I wonder too when calculations are done (about how many segments are being fused), how the sacrum is counted. Guess it doesn't matter if it IS (always) only that top segment. I know the sacrum is not usually considered movable.

Wonder what they could do if my sacrum IS a bit - - - "loose" . I suppose under normal conditions., the sacrum fuses sometime before birth (and stays fused). Mine definitely seems movable. I read in my MRI reports that I also have "Tarlov" cysts in and under the sacrum. Unless the difference is in the readers' interpretations, they also seem to be getting larger.

I've been told they are harmless but that was before the size was increasing (apparently) and also before this pronounced sacral pain began - a few years ago. I only get it at night, lying down, and its starting to extend into my hip sockets - referred I guess. It's just as bad as the lumbar pain I get when I'm standing. That leaves me no comfortable positions any more.

Have you ever heard of someone having problems necessitating a fusion extending further down than "just" S1 (not counting the pelvic fixation, whatever that is)?? Or a problem requiring it (wondering what it's called). None of this - jelled - as an issue l right now. Naturally, I'll ask surgeons about it, but meanwhile....
                  I'm not sure how one would know that movement is coming from the sacrum. As Doodle mentioned below, one can be fused to any part of the sacrum, so I don't think it really matters. The sacrum can be fractured:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/532020_1

--Linda

Jess, it also reminded me of Thanksgiving!
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm not sure how one would know that movement is coming from the sacrum. As Doodle mentioned below, one can be fused to any part of the sacrum, so I don't think it really matters. The sacrum can be fractured:
                    I think it's moving because I get sound effects when my sacrum is manipulated or when I lie on a solid object (even a hard pillow). This is for a kind of a do it yourself chiropractic adjustment or massage. Gravity + exercise (or rolling), can relieve discomfort .

It can be done anywhere in the spine. For me, this flexibility/adjustability (and noise) extends to the sacrum. Blech!

Reading about it, I see gas pockets can be located throughout the spine - a vacuum. Along with Tarlov cysts, they've shown up on MRIs. Since I've started having sacral pain, I've requested sacral MRIS on top of the usual one for the lumbar spine.

Reading about sacral instability lately (accompanied by cord compression, in that area) I just learned some shocking caveats about the importance of addressing this problem in deformity surgery. I know I can't assume it will be attended to, unless I insist. From fortunate instances in my own life (narrow escapes), I've learned we can't just turn over our problems intact to even the best surgeon - I mean, assuming s/he will always pay proper and adequate attention to our overall needs. Our lives (and those of our children), are ultimately OUR responsibility, though.

Restricting myself to this excerpt for now, here's a message about sacral instability, cord compression and neuro signs in that area in relation to "our" surgery. Paraphrased intro...If the [instability] isn't properly accounted for it can lead to...

..displacement or entrapment and compression of the neural elements during operative reduction and fixation. The degree of displacement has important implications for the safety of operative reduction and instrumentation as well as the risks of subsequent implant failure .
                    Last edited by Back-out; 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM.
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Thanks for the illustrations, Linda. That really helped me understand what my Dr. meant about having pain from the iliac screw and why it hurts where it does. As far as feeling rods, the only time I notice them is if I sit back against something hard--like a church pew. It doesn't hurt--just feels like there's "stuff" there.
                      Gee, could "assometer" be a scrabble word????

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                      X