No announcement yet.

Family Support With Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least you all have family that care and love you. I have no relatives. I have a brother who has been suing me since 2006 over my fathers money. I have no aunts, uncles or cousins.

I went through this with only my husband . He was there for me for one month but now he is leaving me something I wish he had done years ago.

Except for one friend who came down from NJ to NC for me I have no one to lean on in any manner shape or form. I have 2 children; both of which are special needs. They are 15 and 17. They still need me.

I feel very alone right now after reading your posts and just want you to appreciate your families that you have

Comment

hi Melissa
      i am so sorry that you dont have family...i wish you did...

just wanted to say that i have no aunts or uncles left..my last uncle and aunt died this year...and i have cousins i never ever see! some live in CA, some other places...they have never really cared to be in touch...i always say i only see them at weddings and funerals...and then not always
      and not all sisters are close...soooooo...i guess i'm trying to say that having family doesnt mean they talk... or write.....or anything....
      this has been true all my life...so.i dont let it bother me too much anymore..

i hope you feel better really soon!

jess

Comment

family support

I was lucky. My mother had scoliosis surgery when she was young and again when she was 68 so she very much understood the reason I needed to have mine done. My hubby has been my rock.....The only thing I have noticed that bothers me is that it seems that people don't understand how long the recovery period is for this surgery. I feel like some of my friends might think I need to be more back on my feet than I am...I don't know. Maybe just my imagination. I am doing well but at the same time the endurance level is still low and it feels like that is a hard thing for people to understand once you are out of the acute recovery period.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Family doesn't understand??

Some members took digital photos of their pre-op x-rays. That enlightened some family members as to the severity of their curves.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X