No announcement yet.

Lose weight before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cosmetic side of going bionic (when it SHOWS)

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
    Rohrer--I'm fused T2-pelvis and have no trouble at all lifting my arms. Of course, in the early weeks it was trickier. I don't play piano or swim much but there wouldn't be anything preventing me from it. That's really strange that the doctor said that. Janet
    Others have spoken of difficulty raising their arms too. Can't think off the cuff if they were "thinnies". Liikewise, even within this thread, there has been talk of thin patients having the armature entangled with muscles and/or showing.

It's worth a thread but I'll stick it here. Wondering if those at such risk, ARE those on the thin side - and what the relationship is to fusion location. I have trouble understanding this, according to the mechanics of the surgery. Guess I'm not that clear on just what is done, and how it's apt to vary. I wonder if it's a problem apt to develop, at any point, if one loses enough weight.

I also wish for comments from those post surgical who are thin. Do all such have a problem with the hardware either being felt/visible externally?

Apart from everything else that could make a partner's stomach do flip flips (the wrong kind), I've noticed, people can go all queasy about scars and signs of surgery, especially in females. Guess it passes muster more in James Bond sorts - kind of like dueling scars. Women are "supposed" to be all white and pristine. (Ha! After this intervention... )

There are a couple of men who have been somewhat casually complimentary/admiring despite my advanced age, but even they have had reactions to popping noises and whatnot from my spine. Post surgical, scars will be bad enough but if one can look and feel rods, screws and other hardware under the skin....! "Turn-off" doesn't quite suffice. Again, those of you with comfortable long-time spouses probably can't quite identify with this concern.

I was asked by a P.A at my last consult, "what's this bruise on your back?" Had to say the (to me ) obvious : "I can't see my spine!" I really don't have much of an idea just WHAT I look like rear view. I suppose if one can FEEL the hardware, it's an easy guess, but if it just casts a shadow, I wouldn't know.

Not that I go backless much. Or even at all. But others might see more than I do, eventually. Besides, after this surgery, I kind of thought I 'd try to get away from the baggy T-shirt fashion statement (for me, not saying "I don't care" but "I don't dare"!).
    Last edited by Back-out; 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I wouldn't call myself thin, but I'm not overweight either, but my screws/rods are visible at the top.

It doesn't bother me or my partner but my daughter feels squeamish when she sees them!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        I wouldn't call myself thin, but I'm not overweight either, but my screws/rods are visible at the top.

It doesn't bother me or my partner but my daughter feels squeamish when she sees them!
        See?

Not exactly...sexy. Trying to picture how to put this in an online dating profile.

Hmm. "exciting 'try anything once' heart of gold (back of steel) female with curves ...nope.

"Warm-hearted (room-temperature) lady, who..." scratch.

"well-preserved (guaranteed rust-proof) damsel.." shakes head.

"Magnetic (non-ferrous) former model seeks..." Oops.

URGH!!!
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

this thread is no longer on topic!

Comment

My surgeon did also mention more than one time that the surgery itself would be easier and my recovery would also. I think I fared pretty well in my recovery. I was not very thin before the surgery, but it seemed instantaneous weight loss of at least 40 lbs. after my surgery, it's been just over a year since, I have only gained back about 7 lbs. -- trying very hard to gain back my weight. Also should note, I cannot even as skinny as I am see my hardware, neither can my husband.

Actually Jess I don't see where anyone was off topic, I don't get it! Is the end of the thread now?
            Dolores A
            June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
            June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
            NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Seriously, I don't think any partner who would be turned off by medically necessary rods and screws is worth a second thought, anyway.

"Screw" 'em, I say!

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

hi Dolores
                i dont think the point of this thread is to worry about what to write on dating sites on line or about how to attract a man...the forum is for discussing scoliosis problems and solutions...and this thread is about weight loss related to surgery...not to male suitors!

that's all i was expressing...my opinion!

every surgeon i spoke to was in favor of patients on the thin side rather than the heavier side before surgery...

jess

Comment

Maybe he was just trying to scare me away from having surgery. He said when I have it I will probably need T2 - L1. He didn't want me to have surgery, yet. He wants me to wait until 60*, even though I am in pain now at 46*. I don't understand.
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                    Rohrer--I'm fused T2-pelvis and have no trouble at all lifting my arms. Of course, in the early weeks it was trickier. I don't play piano or swim much but there wouldn't be anything preventing me from it. That's really strange that the doctor said that. Janet
                    Okay, I'll try this again.

I think he was trying to scare me away from wanting surgery.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      hi Dolores
                      i dont think the point of this thread is to worry about what to write on dating sites on line or about how to attract a man...the forum is for discussing scoliosis problems and solutions...and this thread is about weight loss related to surgery...not to male suitors!

jess
                      Jess, just what are we thinking of when we speak of cosmetic issues, then? Reality factors...Some people say women are really thinking of what matters to other women, but there is a real world - well, "marketplace".

Like it or not.

Speaking of kyphosis and how we fit into clothing is all part of the same issue. Since when is whether or not screws and rods show through our skin not important?

Comment

My daughter is thin and I can see the cross tie (or bar, I'm not sure what it's called, it holds the two rods together) at the top. It's not that noticeable unless you know what you're looking at and she says she doesn't feel it.

She lost 15 lbs after surgery, gained it all back within 6 months I think. She never had any problems lifting her arms.

And she seems to be ok with her scar, she wears strapless dresses and never thinks twice about it. I think if you're fair skinned, it won't be very noticeable once it's faded but my dd is olive complexion so it stands out. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite impressed by it.

Comment

Sheri,

Just checked your daughter's photos and I'm so impressed.

What a beautiful young woman and what an astonishing correction! What were her curves before - in numbers? I can see from the X-ray she was painfully twisted in what I've come to consider "classic adolescent scoliosis". Did she gain significant height? I don't see how she could have avoided "growing" a good deal with that amount of unwinding.

Another monument to Dr.Lenke's artistry!

Comment

Thank you. She does look fantastic. Dr. Lenke is a genius.

She measured 56T/62L, she was having a lot pain prior to surgery. She's doing very well. now. She gained 3 1/2" in height. It was shocking when she stood up after surgery, for the first time she stood well above my measly 4'11". (I was so happy for her, she won't have a lifetime of pants hemming like me).

Comment

I had a spinal fusion T10 to pelvis mar 25th My surgeon said to lose weight before surgery because the lighter i was the easier it would be on me after. i am glad i listened because I gained 40 pounds in one week while in the hospital after my surgery. Has anyone else had this problem? My legs and feet swelled to enormous sizes , after many ultrasounds and echo cardiograhms and venous mapping ultrasounds nothing was found to have caused the swelling. i have been on 80 mg of lasix since I came home from the hospital and finally most of the swelling is gone. Perhaps I was allergic to the steroids I was given after surgery or the pain meds? No one knows.
                              I am 63 yrs old
                              NY State

Comment

Originally posted by pint47 View Post
                                I had a spinal fusion T10 to pelvis mar 25th My surgeon said to lose weight before surgery because the lighter i was the easier it would be on me after. i am glad i listened because I gained 40 pounds in one week while in the hospital after my surgery. Has anyone else had this problem? My legs and feet swelled to enormous sizes , after many ultrasounds and echo cardiograhms and venous mapping ultrasounds nothing was found to have caused the swelling. i have been on 80 mg of lasix since I came home from the hospital and finally most of the swelling is gone. Perhaps I was allergic to the steroids I was given after surgery or the pain meds? No one knows.
                                I am 63 yrs old
                                NY State
                                Thank you very much for writing in!

I have read about other patients experiencing tremendous swelling and edema after this surgery. This must create a
                                serious burden on the heart and there are other effects too (skin stretching the same as if we had gained large amounts of weight in pregnancy or otherwise - stretch marks etc.).

There are risks associated with both excess weight gain OR loss.

There seems to be great variation in how individuals respond to this surgery in one direction or the other, NET weight - whether from caloric intake or fluid retention. All are functions of health issues including appetite changes related to medications (especially steroids and opiates).

Everyone responds differently to major stressors. Many are new and unpredictable. but some can be guessed at by how we've handled past stressors - emotional or physical. We can make a best guess about which one is most apt to be a problem for us, after this surgery.

In the past, I've developed "pitting edema" twice from medication side effects. It went away when I discontinued the medicines (they had already caused 50 lb weight gains, mostly exclusive of the fluid retention). Getting the actual weight off, took considerable effort and time - months.

All in all, this makes me feel that the likely cardiac (and other) risks will be less if I can start out slim to thin. What's more, I have knee problems which I know are aggravated by every pound of extra weight.

None of us has perfect control over our weight in this food-obsessed society or we'd never stray in either direction of our ideal. We can aim, though. This is just one more aspect of our health we can try to manage before "going under". There's so much we can't control in outcomes. I welcome everything I CAN control, however imperfectly. My aim here might be the opposite of that for someone with a different health history or even for me, if I were twenty years younger!
                                Last edited by Back-out; 07-09-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X