No announcement yet.

Self confidence raises as rib hump disappears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jess, I feel lucky, I know that. And yes, I feel very well. I couldn't ask for more.

Thanks Rohrer and Evelyn. Karen, I'm 60 next May, almost 58 when I had surgery and it sounds like we may have travelled a similar path. If you have any questions, please just ask.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations JenM

and AussieJen... for the great looking backs.

and Janet, on the mag citrate results....Oh man! Its nice to have backup! LOL

All you guys who are in your first stages of recovery should be keeping notes on med intake, food intake, bowel movements. Opoid constipation needs to be watched for every day.

Hang in there, it will get better.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,

I love it when you chime in.
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

Janet - mag citrate is what I used, and it worked wonders for me
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Re constipation from opiates - yes, it can cause killer pain and more. Having been on opiates for a long time (very little now, but a year ago - an astronomical dose), one of my highest monthly expenses was for Miralax. It hit me hard when it was offered OTC instead of as prescription drug.

Don't laxatives work prophylactically? A good friend of mine went for extensive abdominal cancer surgery six months ago, and I urged him to take Miralax beforehand to minimize that paralytic ileus business (it REALLY hurts when your belly is a mass of stitches, as any of you know if you've had abdominal incisions for anything!).

He said the constipation and bloating were worse than other pains, ventilator, etc, but that at first it was easier because his stool had been softened to start with.
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

On newly straight backs:

Congrats JenM! I'm so happy for you It must have been awful to go through adolescence with visible scoliosis!

And JenniferG - whistling sound!
              You sure don't look your age, not before NOR after your surgery. But what a lovely correction. It looks to have been very painful for you too - your neck looks strained and I can only imagine what was going on inside all those angles!

Tell the truth, though. You seem to have an athlete's body. Did you manage to stay active even before your surgery? If so, I'm sure that helped you loads through your surgery and recovery. Hope so, and meanwhile - many congratulations to you both!
              Last edited by Back-out; 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM.
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Wow, Jennifer, wonderful pictures! I am currently on vacation at the beach with friends we have travelled with for years, and they have all commented about my scar and how much straighter I look! Cosmetic aspect was not a big priority for me, but it's a nice bonus.

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                  On newly straight backs:

Congrats JenM! I'm so happy for you It must have been awful to go through adolescence with visible scoliosis!

And JenniferG - whistling sound!
                  You sure don't look your age, not before NOR after your surgery. But what a lovely correction. It looks to have been very painful for you too - your neck looks strained and I can only imagine what was going on inside all those angles!

Tell the truth, though. You seem to have an athlete's body. Did you manage to stay active even before your surgery? If so, I'm sure that helped you loads through your surgery and recovery. Hope so, and meanwhile - many congratulations to you both!
                  Thanks for your kind words Amanda but I was never an athlete. I was fortunate enough to not be affected by my scoliosis until around age 50 so I was always able to exercise. But I herniated a disc about 2000 and it was downhill from there. I never had more than what I'd describe as mild - moderate Scoliosis pain (apart from when the disc herniated - that was a 10!) and only in the lumbar area despite having a thoracic curve. But it was worsening. Once surgery was scheduled, I embarked on getting as fit as I could. What I found was, the fitter I got, the less pain I had.

I put my good outcome down to my surgeon's skills more than anything.

Thanks Anne!

Comment

Jennifer--I can't believe how good your back and your scar looks. I think I saw this months ago but forgot. We're just a month apart age wise--my Big 60 is one year away. Did you do anything special to minimize your scar? I've used all kinds of stuff and it is still very red and rather wide. Congratulations again for having such a success! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                      Jennifer--I can't believe how good your back and your scar looks. I think I saw this months ago but forgot. We're just a month apart age wise--my Big 60 is one year away. Did you do anything special to minimize your scar? I've used all kinds of stuff and it is still very red and rather wide. Congratulations again for having such a success! Janet
                      Thanks Janet. I just saw your post in Chris's thread and I have to say I feel so sorry you didn't get a cosmetic result you're happy with. After what we go through, we all deserve to be happy with the way we look.

No, I haven't put anything on my scar. That photo was taken at 11 weeks and only last night I did the double mirror thing and checked out my scar. It hasn't changed a lot, just a little lighter, more so the bottom half than the top.

I still lean slightly to the left, (it used to be the right,) my walking is slightly wonky but there is no pain, so I am happy. Fingers crossed for the long term.

How are you pain-wise now Janet?

Comment

Jennifer--Thanks for your concern. Pain-wise I'm having issues with my left hip and leg the last month or so. I've seen my pt, accuputure, and finally this week my old chiro who just uses the clicker thing around hips. He thinks he can "open" up some around pelvic area to free up sciatica. I now walk better but my left buttock is still so sore to squat, lean down, etc. Otherwise, I just have the usual sore spots around shoulder blade and various aches and pains occasionally but nothing serious. My right lean went left too. We're all different but with enough similarities on here to keep us supporting one another! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                          Jennifer--Thanks for your concern. Pain-wise I'm having issues with my left hip and leg the last month or so. I've seen my pt, accuputure, and finally this week my old chiro who just uses the clicker thing around hips. He thinks he can "open" up some around pelvic area to free up sciatica. I now walk better but my left buttock is still so sore to squat, lean down, etc. Otherwise, I just have the usual sore spots around shoulder blade and various aches and pains occasionally but nothing serious. My right lean went left too. We're all different but with enough similarities on here to keep us supporting one another! Janet
                          Thanks for the reply Janet. I'm sorry to hear about your hip/leg issues. Does your surgeon know? Meanwhile I hope the chiro can bring about more improvements. And time, which often helps. Fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X