My 12 wk follow up appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura and Melissa,

I do love reading great news in the morning!!

I feel a bit motherly towards "the girls". You have many mothers, aunties, sisters, and a few awesome brother/uncles on this board.

Here's a little cybertoast to you all as I think of you riding bikes, going to the beach, nice long walks....all standing tall.

Congratulations and Happy Summer!
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

Awwwww Foofer....thanks "mom"! HahAHAH!!! But you couldn't be my mom cuz you would have had to been 5 yrs old when you had me!!!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Laura,

You're x-rays are amazing! What an encourageement for those of us who have not yet had surgery. I'm so happy for you!

Had Dr. Lenke predicted that much correction for you prior to the surgery (was your spine flexible) or was it just a wonderful surprise?
        Kathy
        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

braces

Laura & Kathy & Janet & Rita (Dr. Lenke's patients)
          I know Kathy hasn't had her surgery yet, but did Dr. Lenke have any of you wear a brace post surgery? Kelly said that I wouldn't have one and I didn't realize at the time she told me that so many people on this forum wear a brace a long time after surgery. I didn't even question it. I'm a worrier anyway and it just seems that the brace would keep me from moving in a way I'm not supposed to (especially at night when I'm half asleep) I totally trust Dr. Lenke, but I'm just curious what the reason is for not wearing a brace temporarily after surgery. Do you know?
          Laura, I am so impressed with your pictures. You have to be thrilled! I'll be 60 when I have the surgery, so I'm a littled worried I won't get the cosmetic results that you did, but I'm sure hoping.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Laura, congratulations on an amazingly awesome correction. The pictures look great!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Laura--Somehow I had missed looking at the before and afters--those are fabulous!

Karen--No I didn't wear a brace and there wasn't really a reason for or against it that I recall. I guess I was just glad I didn't have to. My roommate in rehab had one. Her doctor was Bridwell. She was about 10 years older than I. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
                Hi Everyone! Yesterday was my 12 week followup with Dr. Lenke. I was just amazed when I saw my before and after x-rays. The curve went from 62 down to 11 degrees. I added the xrays to my signature line below, so you can see them. He told me I should be doing more activity, like even gentle yoga, and stretching. That surprised me, but he said as long as I am in control of my movements, I can't hurt myself. So, starting today I did 30 minutes of gentle stretching and easy yoga moves. I was sooooo not flexible! Need to build that up slowly. My back doesn't "hurt" anymore like before the surgery...but now it just "burns", which I am guessing is the nerves and muscles healing. Just wanted to check in to let you know I am happy I went through with this at even just 12 weeks out! Can't wait for a year anniversary!!! Thanks again for eveyone's support here!
                Hi, your back looks amazing. don't have anymore rib hump whatsoever. how much heigh did you regain?
                62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                45/50 year 2000
                36 yrs old
                Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                S. California
                http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Hi Fashionista! Thanks for the compliment! My rib hump is gone and I gained 2 inches in height!!! That was an awesome side benefit! It's so funny when people see me for the first time since surgery and they can't get over how tall I look!!! I'm now 5' 5" and was 5' 3". My left shoulder is a tiny bit higher than my right shoulder and my physical therapist (who I went to for first time yesterday) said that will most likely stay that way...but it's a great trade off for the curve and rib hump! Good luck to you!
                  Laura
                  Laura
                  62 degrees
                  49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Karen, Vali and Janet....thank you guys for the compliments! It sure makes me feel good to see my before and afters. Sometimes I look at my befores now and just say "WOW"...was that really me??? It realllly makes me glad I had the surgery. I recommend everyone take before pics so you can see how far you have come! Karen, no I didn't wear a brace. For some reason I don't think Lenke uses them...and I was glad to hear that! I didn't feel that anything would come apart or anything because you really are not all that mobile after surgery for a while! Just walk very carefully and use a walker or something to hold on to if you feel unsteady. Best of luck to you in January Karen. It seems like a ways away but will be here and gone before you know it! Let me know if you have questions!
                    Laura
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Working...
                    X