X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, as I am 6 weeks out, that is all I can say

Melissa

Comment

20 city blocks..the shorter ones, not the ones from avenue to avenue...equal one mile...so that is great...you walked 2 miles!

i remember back when i could do that...and also when Lyme disease took that away from me...i got the ability back, only to lose it again from scoliosis and degenerative disc disease!

i had a dream last nite...very weird, too..but in the dream i had already had the surgery...so i dont know if that means i'll get there with my decision...

Sharon, i hope you find a surgeon who does revision who can help you...naptown (kristie) seems to have had such great results from her revision surgery...

jess

Comment

Hi Suzy! Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I remember our gardening discussion..!! I hope the popping in your back is nothing -- lots of people seem to have it so I doubt that it's anything serious. I would agree that you are doing well, especially with a physically demanding job. Enjoy your summer off and especially enjoy those grandkids!!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks Chris. And yes, hopefully my popping is nothing serious. You KNOW how it is though. Is MY popping the same things as theirs is? We'll see in about 6 weeks. In the meantime, Indiana baby and his family arrive in a few hours and will be here till Saturday, and then hubby and I leave on Sunday for a road trip to NH to visit that little grandson and his family, so I've got some fun time coming up.

Melissa-- you've got to understand that we were well-resigned to the fact that we (at least this was how I felt, maybe not Chris) had had this big whoppin' surgery and after a whole year had gone by, this was "it"-- I mean, this was as good as I was going to get. I don't think it's that way with everyone-- I think a lot of the younger people bounce back lickety-split and others that are older do too. Some of you who remember Ginger-- remember how fast she rebounded???-- she was doing all kinds of things like some sort of wonder woman clone... hiking the canyon near her home in the Rockies, going on one of those (I don't even know what they're called-- zip line(?) where they strap you to a line and send you on a trip... in some place like Costa Rica???) sounds like a nightmare to me. And she was something like 62. I loved her-- she was sooo full of life-- and her blog was fantastic! Anyway, we are all different. It took me forever to stop stooping and lengthen my stride and build up my strength again. The surgery had zapped me completely. Every year I'm stronger and better able to do more.

Chris-- I am soooooo jealous of you and your nails and shaving and all that-- I have the hardest time and I can tell it's not good for me. I cut my nails, but with great difficulty. And I use my sock aid. The only thing that made me feel better was seeing you aren't fused up as high. Mine goes almost to my neck. I know my "end pieces" are in jeopardy so I try to take it easy on them. Cutting my nails is as far as I go on stretching like that-- I can barely reach them, part of the problem is the arthritis in the hips. And I do a crummy job, but at least don't have to ask hubby to do it anymore. Besides, I think Ed does his ok... Oh well. Life goes on. And aint it great?!!!
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Chris-- the other thing about the popping is "why now?" I haven't had it for 3 years. It just started. That is why I am a little concerned. But it's probably just the same thing as what it was with the other people. Just started happening now. I'm slow!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie,
              My back is doing a lot of popping lately and it is not anywhere near the fusion. I don't know what is up with that.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for posting encouragement 3 years down!

Hi Chris, I've been wanting to respond with thanks to this thread of yours for a couple of days. It's great to see that there will be even more improvement as the years go by, even though I don't regret having this surgery, there are still days that I say will it get better as I do still have some limitations, some of which I will always have, being fused all the way down. Anyway it is great that you posted this as it was a great encouragement to me.
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Chris, Susie and others--You give me hope that I will keep improving! I can relate to most of what Susie described and am still battling new aches and pains most of the time. I still can't figure out the leg/sciatica pain?? This has been going for a month. I guess it makes my usual back soreness/stiffness etc. not so noticeable! I'd been told for years I had a high tolerance for pain. Maybe I just turned into a big weenie! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                  X