No announcement yet.

Degree of correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a very dramatic correction for an old(ish) broad -- from 70 to around 12 degrees. At the time of my bending x-rays, Boachie said he'd shoot for around a 30-degree correction, but once he got in there I turned out to be very flexible. I gained about an inch and a half of height and would have gained more but my lumbar discs were removed, so...hence the modest height gain.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I have never been a gym junkie, but i would join just to use their equipment and classes. I was doing a back strengthening programme, pilates and aquarobics. I also walk if not everyday, every other day.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
        I got a very dramatic correction for an old(ish) broad -- from 70 to around 12 degrees. At the time of my bending x-rays, Boachie said he'd shoot for around a 30-degree correction, but once he got in there I turned out to be very flexible. I gained about an inch and a half of height and would have gained more but my lumbar discs were removed, so...hence the modest height gain.
        That's fabulous, Singer!!

I'm a bit disappointed by the lumbar disks news, tho,

I thought it they put in spacers and sprayed the lot with BMP, it would come to the same height as the disks had once. Comments?
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Dr. B didn't use BMP on me -- only crushed bone from a removed rib. The discs were replaced with titanium mesh cages and rib graft. On the x-ray, they look a bit like little mesh hockey pucks.

I still have a bit of a thoracic curve (under 20 deg.), another reason why I didn't gain more height.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Since Chris "weighed in" as one of the "oldies" I figured I might as well put in my 2 cents too. My correction is down to 15º, so I was really pleased with that. He was just going to try for 50% if I remember correctly.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

While I don't remember all the details about this I do recall the bending x-rays before surgery.....I was hardly able to bend at all and my surgeon came in and forced bent me as far as he could. After that he told me my spine seemed pretty stiff and he said he'd be happy to get a 50% correction....although he ended up getting closer to 70% during surgery.

Rich
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
              A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
              Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
              Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Jess--

Yes, I did them on the table. I agree--definitely more difficult. I'm practicing for my next set! Seems ridiculous but it actually could make a difference in what approach they choose for surgery.

Chris--

Holy Hannah! 70* to 12*. Now there's inspiration!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

My story is similar to Rich's. My bending xrays showed little flexibility. My doc estimated a correction getting my lumbar from 85d. to about 35d. Well he got my lumbar from 85d. down to 27d - so I was thrilled with that.
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

hey Ev
                    just got back from 2 days NYC...had epidural for sciatica on left side....so far, it is helping...must say, i'm surprised...my expectations for it were low...

the bending Xrays are really a shock, arent they?! i thought i was more flexible than i proved to be on the table!

best regards
                    jess

Comment

Working...
                    X