picking up items from floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    For some things (laundry) I still use my grabber, but most other things I either bend down OR.....(don't laugh) if I'm barefoot, I'll use my toes--the built-in grabber.
    Damn, I KNEW there was a downside to my double bunionectomy 15 yrs ago! Those big toes don't bend atall anymore. Just saw my knee surgeon, who claims I can do anything I want (albeit only light lifting) by pending from the pelvis, hence no knee surgery first.

Do NOT think he's right. I wish, though...
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Let me just throw a laundry comment in here. About a month ago, my 30 year old (!) dryer died. Long story but ended up replacing both the washer and the dryer with those front loading models that are up on pedestals. Yes, you pay extra for the pedestals, but does that ever make laundry life easier for those of us with fused spines! Am still using grabbers for most things but not so much anymore for laundry unless it's to get stuff off the floor.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Very good comment. I wonder how much it would cost to have my present washer dryer set put on pedestals. Wonder too, if Lowe's would put them up if I pay for the pedestals. Jeez, and for the last few years I've been economizing by tossing my laundry over basement clotheslines! Not too hard since both sons are at college. Amazing what a savings in electicity it's been, but - now what?
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Anne-- I agree, those new front loaders on pedestals are wonderful. My husband gutted our laundry room this winter and made me a really nice one, and we got the front loaders on pedestals... Since I've been putting more pics on my "pics of me" in my signature this week, I just added the laundry room... It makes life soooooo much easier. And I put the laundry basket up on a tallish step-stool thing, so it's at a really good level for me.
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh Susie, your grandkids are sooooooooo cute. Love the laundry room.

Comment

Thanks Chris. Of course I'm partial. Get to see the Indiana one next week, then heading to NH for the following week. I'm ecstatic, to say the least. About the laundry room. Here's what a wonderful husband I have... we bought this house for when we retire and haven't fixed it up yet. We actually live in a different house... (long story) because of hubby's job, 1/4 mile away. But it has narrow stairs, bedrooms upstairs, etc. and this one is on one level. We've been staying here since my surgery. He did the laundry every Saturday, carrying the laundry basket to the other house, because there was no laundry room here. The other laundry room was impossible for me to maneuver in-- you had to twist to throw the laundry into the dryer, etc. So this is great for both of us.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
              X