No announcement yet.

Items to Pack for Hospital Stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hardly brought anything, and I was glad. I brought a change of clothes to go home in, I.e. Shorts, t-shirt, panties, socks, and shoes, toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and cell phone, and a book.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

You really only need things if you are going for rehab. If you are just going home straight from the hospital, you need very little

Melissa

Comment

Hey Jen, Good luck for next week. I had my surgery last monday 24th May. I took so much with me, i felt a bit silly really. But it was comforting to have my teddy and own pillow. I also took a couple of big nightshirts which were easy to put on- button down all the way. I took heaps of knickers, but never wore a single pair. Some good scuff slippers were all i wore, especially for my walks around the ward. I applied chappy ten times a day and it was a life saver, I also took a really nice face cleanser and cream and it helped keep me feeling refreshed. I know everyone is different, but i showered everyday in hospital after my op, and washed my hair, which was really nice because the meds made me sweaty and feel a bit yuck. You definately won't need a bra in hospital, however, since being home and going for my little walks each day, i have found that even though im only a 12C I got sore breasts. But now, i have a soft cotton bra which does up at the front which i wear walking. I bought it from ebay and it is quite good.
        I got so many magazines bought for me as gifts, but i really couldn't look at them till i got home cause i was so drousy. But somehow i managed to play with my iphone, and post on this forum which really helped me pull through...
        good luck again, it's good to read through all the posts and prepare for everything, but it is a very individual thing- so don't stress, just take each day as it comes...
        Kellie 25yrs
        Melbourne, Aus
        Diagnosed 1998- brace for 3 years
        2006 curves showed progression
        Before surgery T45* L43*
        25/5/10 posterior fusion T4-T11
        Post surgery T<20* L27*
        Fingers crossed for more improvement on lumbar before 12 months!

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I really appreciate it. This weekend I purchased slippers and a robe. I am bringing my portable DVD player so I can watch some movies as well as my Ipod.

I'm thinking about also getting some non-rinse shampoo, which was on Linda's helpful list. Did anyone use that? I'm also wondering when I will be able to take a shower for the first time.

Thanks,
          JenM
          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

My DR said I can shower when I go home if I cover it with Tegaderm dressing or I have to wait 10 days.
            Janet
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Janet - I was able to shower while I was in the hospital every day, I'm surprised Dr. Cronen said you had to wait?
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I showered the day the catheter/epidurals/incision dressings were removed - day 3 or 4. I also washed my hair that first shower, it was heaven. What surprised me, was how early they uncovered my incision and I wasn't required to have it covered for the shower.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X