Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery on June 8th - Extremely Nervous!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
    Debra,

My doctor says vague things like "my patients who had surgery tend to do better over time."

Evelyn
    RFLMAO ( if I could, that is)
    Evelyn, that has to be an all-time classic
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

JenM,
      I think we've talked about this before, but I've told my daughter who's four for the last several months about me having surgery. She know that I'm going into the hospital to have the doctor make my crooked back straight. She knows I'll be away from home and the she'll be able to spend the night with grandparents and sometimes at home with just Daddy. She has asked about visiting me in the hospital. We've also talked about my recovery at home and that I won't be able to pick her or her brother up. We have several project kits that we can do when I come home as well as a list of movies that we want to watch together.
      It's my 18 month old that I'm most worried about. He's only spent one night away (2 weeks ago to "prepare" him for spending the night away from me.) I'm also worried about my husband having the whole weight of the household (plus working and going for a Master's degree) on his shoulders.

Comment

hey Jenny
        does sound like alot, but i'm sure he can handle it...it's summer...is he taking courses this summer, or can he have a break?
        wishing you and all the june folks successful and smooth surgeries, and uneventful recoveries!

jess

Comment

Hi Evelyn,
          Well we're probably getting off on a different direction than this thread, so I'll keep it brief (I'll try). But I'll follow up with you personally, or we could start a new thread. I know for me my biggest concern is my lung function, which has decreased through the years according to pulmonary tests I've taken. The pulm. doc said I have mild restrictive lung disease. There are many sites that say severe scoli. (usu. 60+deg.) causes decreased lung function (Univ. Maryland Medical, Mayo Clinic, Wiki., Cnn,). Also, curves over 50 d's are at the greatest risk of progression (accding to a NY times art.) Corrective surgery is suppose to stop the prog. of scoli. and for me that means (and based on a Pub. Med. study I read) prevent my lung function from worsening over time due to scoli.. Pain reduction I'm basing on the SRS's patient questionairres that show most rate their pain as less after 12 months post op that pre-op. Of course, this is just how I understand things based on what I've read and believe to be credible. I believe, it's difficult to know on an individual basis how much untreated scoli. will progress, health will deteriorate or body will become deformed, which of course are bad enough in themselves, but from the docs. I've talked to and all I've read the risks of surgery go up greatly with all these things. Good luck with your research!

Debra
          Debra
          Age 45
          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
          Fused T4-T12
          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
          X