melissa's surgery & Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your good wishes

besides myself and Anne, who else is wearing a brace?

Melissa

Comment

I am in so much neck pain today. Why is that? I have never felt this bad before.

Could I have done something in therapy today?

Melissa

Comment

What kind of therapy are you doing so soon? Walking was all I was allowed for the first six months. Could the pain come because of positioning on the operating table, or the way you slept one night?
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

After I left the hospital on 5/11, they transferred me to the rehab part of Carolina Medical Center.Since then I have been doing OT and PT .I am going home tomorrow and they are going to set me up with out patient PT at home

Melissa

Comment

I'm not sure what the neck pain would be - perhaps all the new alignment of your body and while you learn to walk and move in a new way, sometimes perhaps it may affect different parts of our body? Do the PT's perhaps know? By the way Melissa - I'm wearing a brace. I love my brace, it gives me a lot of support. Actually I'm at the point now where I don't wear it at home (my doctor wants me to gradually learn to move around without it) and whenever I go out, I always wear it. I feel more protected when I wear it outside, and it tells everyone that I have had surgery, so please don't bang into me
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Melissa,

SO sorry to hear about the neck pain - it's not called a "pain in the neck" for nothing. Yours sounds much worse. I used to get bad "torticollis" which would twist my neck at a really sharp angle (working as a therapist then, I'd have to aim my chair and torso at right angles to my patient, to look at them! )

Sometimes when you're really, really exhausted, you don't move your neck enough as you sleep (we naturally adjust our position throughout the night otherwise), and that can cause it.

Having a cold blast of air like from an AC can also do it or make it worse.

I found heat and muscle relaxers helped a good bit (one part of the body, cold NEVER helped me, anyhow), and it's also important to watch how you sleep. Those cervical collars can provide considerable relief too. You know, those padded things attached by velcro. One of mine was purchased at Halloween - appears to be two hands, joined in the middle. Looks like you're being strangled.

Always gave my kids a kick. It helped almost as much as the one from the medical supply store and was much more entertaining!

Hope yours fades gradually as they seem too - sometimes pretty quickly.
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I hope it wasn't the PT that caused the neck pain. I'm a bit surprised that they're putting you through that at this early stage. I hope they know what it is and how to fix it today.

Regarding the brace, I wasn't given one.

I hope your neck is feeling better very soon.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congrats Melissa on getting thru your surgery. Glad you get to go home soon...
                  I am wearing a brace too. 24/7 at the moment although sometimes I take it off when I sleep.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                    Congrats Melissa on getting thru your surgery. Glad you get to go home soon...
                    I am wearing a brace too. 24/7 at the moment although sometimes I take it off when I sleep.
                    How comfortable is it to sleep in? I can not find anything that really feel good to wear underneath it. I really need a bra but the back strap bothers my incision as I am only 2 1/2 weeks out from having surgery.

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                    X