No announcement yet.

Dr. Lonner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, I'd rather choose a doctor who takes my insurance, especially while I have this fairly good plan. I would have liked to see Boachie, though, or at least been sure, I was really ineligible. (From this thread, it's seeming to be uncertain). I certainly don't want to fear later, that something went wrong because I had to compromise on my surgeon!

There is a serious problem in determining benefits, though. As I said, the payout is basically only figured out at processing! That's done according to a complicated series of "translations" . My plan's benefits (one of a subset of other Blue Cross PPO plans) have to be priced in the framework of acceptable charges in THAT facility's Blue Cross plans (the one the surgeon, anesthesologist and hospital work with - hoping they're the same)

Some states have at least a dozen Blue Cross companies (New York City alone has three primary ones), each of which has upwards of a dozen plans - they designed them individually for various companies and markets. Those many plans are further broken down by levels of benefits too - Bronze silver, gold, acrylic (JK! Wanted to see if you were listening). All pay and charge premiums by zip code - a fast and sloppy way of approximating level of usage and cost of care.

Blue Cross - a PPO plan like mine, anyhow - is, in many ways, the best. I can go ANYWHERE and to ANYONE, where Blue Cross is taken.

What is NOT ideal, is it's virtually impossible to know what it will cost you in advance because of all the translations. My plan benefits have to be translated into what the new area's U & C reimbursements are.

And there is always the risk some acceptable MD may send me to a lab or radiology facility which doesn't take my insurance. It already looks like that's happened at least once, and I'm afraid I have a mass of fights in front of me - about the legitimacy of what charges I' m supposed to have incurred!

One "EOB" (Explanation of benefits) envelope I opened yesterday had a key indicating what whatever some doctor was charging me, was for a service not even recognized as medically necessary by my plan for my diagnosis!

I can't imagine how that happened, or what it means. I'll bet some busy surgeon will be forced to write a letter justifying it, though - why it wasn't a routine bone density scan (just a guess at the problem).

There are too many damned things to think of in advance, and I'm afraid once I'm hospitalized it may be even more complicated as various charges are incurred without regard for my coverage...

No one could go grocery shopping without price tags, much less car -shopping and this is equal to about ten+ nice new cars!

Furthermore, the amounts are so vast, Surely there has to be some way to learn in advance what to expect. Sometimes I suspect they just wing it on the day they get every pile of out of state claims, having no real standard to go by. It's NOT just a matter of choosing a doctor who takes BC!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Soap box

And this is one of thousand, millions, of stories which illustrate all too well why this country should have a single payer system.

All this work calculating, billing and second-guessing - theirs and mine - costs money. Wasted money.

Many specialized industries have spring up to support the work doctors and facilities now have to do to handle needless paperwork. And there is immense complex processing that needed to be done to create the conditions which necessitated their paperwork - that of insurance companies and special claims processing offices in each facility (and further on down the food chain). It could and should have been spent on improving patient care - and without shortchanging doctors!

Au contraire, most dedicated doctors don't want to be entrepreneurs with all incumbent headaches, much less being forced to compromise the quality of their care in order to fill quotas, justify choices or conform to ever-changing rule systems!
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

if you have Blue Cross...you could probably get in to see Dr Anand in CA...the one i paid cash for...i dont have Blue Cross...not even sure if i can get it...i'll have to check in November...

i wanted to see Dr Boachie really badly, too, when i first researched scoli....there was an article about him and a patient of his who was bent over with a really large curve(People Magazine)...but since then, i've found several really great doctors who operate on large curves...not that mine is so large, but i meant that they are doctors who have other patients with large curves...and they have excellent outcomes! right now i am only interested in minimal invasive....dont know that Dr Boachie is doing that...yet...though i do know that he was at a training with Dr Anand last year...

i think there are things that all patients can complain about when it comes to their insurance...after seeing all those people on TV who dont have any insurance, i am just grateful that i do have it...even though it is an HMO...

jess

Comment

Yes, I'm grateful that I have insurance but that is much overshadowed by knowing I'll only have MEDICARE come next February - and paid, at that!

What's with Dr, Anand? Is he so great? As I understand it, minimally invasive may not yet be suitable for large curves. I watched (yuck) a long video of such an operation, done by someone from the U of Chicago where they have a major program. I remember he stressed, M. I. permitted avoiding sawing through the muscles groups, losing MUCH less blood, and for a much easier recovery. However, he (surgeon) said that at present it was only used for patients with lumbar curves only.

I know often surgeons disregard surgery they don't know how to do, but OTOH I don't want to be someone's guinea pig. One wants to go to someone used to doing the procedure - time and again.

I had my cervical stenosis done minimally invasive (one overnight and then home instead of the standard double fusion - also with titanium rods and cadaver bone, etc,). I begged that world-famous surgeon (no small ego) to work on my scoliosis but he said it couldn't be done yet.

OTOH maybe he personally didn't know how to do it. He was terribly worried about throwing my center of gravity off still more. (And I can only respect his caution!). But maybe it CAN indeed be done! What's with this Dr. Anand?

I really like the idea of sparing the spinal muscles - after all, they support the whole shebang. But can it be done - well? Dr. Neuwirth certainly gave me a resounding "no". But that doesn't mean anything for sure, other than that he can't do it and therefore doesn't believe it's safe. Undoubtedly, it's NOT - by him!

It's a tough call, Jess. Minimally invasive knee joint replacement (something else I need) seemed like the wave of the future, but it turns out to have special risks which have not yet been accounted for. Some patients need to be re-operated because they end up off balance somehow.

I'm confused, I don't mind admitting. People DO tend to make a virtue out of necessity and right now, most are necessarily doing regular fusions. But are they ready for a really competent, minimally invasive approach? I feel I need to read the medical lit to find out what the risks are compared to "ordinary" long fusions. How else can I learn what the risks are, and why everyone isn't doing it that way? Have you done any such research?

Thanks!

Comment

minimal invasive surgery has been done for a long time for thoracic curves...now it is done for lumbar as well...i specifically FLEW OUT to CA to meet Dr Anand, knowing that he doesnt take my insurance, just so i could stop hearing people, doctors especially, tell me that it wouldnt work for larger curves...that is completely wrong...and Dr Lonner will do minimal invasive for me...a year ago, he wasnt offering to....

minimal invasive spares the muscles as much as possible from the ripping and cutting of what i call "fillet of fish" surgery (i heard that somewhere...i cant claim inventing that phrase, but i like it)...it is cutting of the muscles that is one of the things that contributes to the difficulty of recovery....since they can reach the areas they need to reach without that kind of cutting, i am all for it...as a matter of fact, i started delaying surgery as soon as i first heard about it...determined to find a doctor who would do minimal for me! wa..la...or oi la...(splg)....or aha...

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 05-04-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

What did Dr. Anand tell you and what did you think of him? What kind of fusion was he proposing to do (from - to)?

Thanks!

Comment

i will write a P.M. to you, Amanda...

jess

Comment

Defending Dr. Lenke

In defense of Dr. Lenke, the St. Louis Post Dispatch (4-11-10) had an article about Children's Hospital and surgeries that are performed on charity cases. Quoting from the paper: "Dr. Lenke performs surgery for no pay on an international child about every two to three months." 'That's why I became a doctor', he said. "His waiting list, which can reach up to 12 months, includes seven children without ability to pay."
                  I know that whatever consumes Dr. Lenke's time whether it's teaching other surgeons or his involvement with the Foundation, that his hear is in the right place. I am thankful to have such a wonderful, caring, dedicated surgeon.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Oops

Jess and Janet,
                    I was posting a reply to an earlier page of criticism of Dr. Lenke and just
                    realized that Janet had already mentioned the same article on a later page. I failed to notice the other pages of posts on the same topic. Sorry to be repetitous.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Karen
                      when i first read about Dr Lenke limiting his patient load to "severe curves," it said (incorrectly) that it was to head the National Scoliosis Foundation...i thought that was ridiculous, since the person now heading it has no M.D., and it seems to not be needed, since there is a medical advisory board...it was later corrected that Dr Lenke is to head the SRS...that made more sense, that his time would be taken up....

i was saying that plenty of doctors operate on international...and very poor...patients...with very severe curves..but dont drop their lower curve patients (Dr Boachie, Dr Lonner, and others i am not familiar with)...i wouldnt want to have to wait for my lumbar to reach 90...it is at 61 now...to get a doctor who would consider me "severe enough" to operate on...i dont care for the whole exclusivity thing...that any doctor is so brilliant that the rest of us poor ordinary folks dont qualify...obviously, any doctor can limit their practice to any exclusive group of people they desire, but i dont have to be impressed with them! i understand that all doctors have limited time...and if they have to pick and choose who will be their patients, then that is their right to do so...but i dont have to be impressed with their "brilliance"
                      i also said i wouldnt want a doctor to tell me that my tumor wasnt big enough for him to operate on! and i added that this is just my opinion..

jess
                      Last edited by jrnyc; 05-06-2010, 02:14 AM.

Comment

No problem, Karen. I think we were having parallel thoughts. Thanks. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                        X