Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    Hi Backout,

Mobility? Check out this picture. Yes, that is me. Its just in case you want to start skiing. LOL Im getting a little too heavy for tip stands lately, I haven't done that in years!
    Ed
    good-god-a'mighty, Ed. I've read about your athletic prowess here and in your profile but that really shows it in action! And WHAT a straight back! I've always put you in the superman "Other" category since reading your profile, but that ties it.

Like that joke:

Pt: Doctor, I'm concerned about this upcoming surgery. Will I be able to...play tennis afterward?
    Doc: (after moments reflection) Why, I don't think that should be a problem considering what we're planning. You should be able to play tennis just fine!
    Pt: Wow, that's great! I could never even hit the ball!

That's how I feel about your athletics.

Mind you, I used to be so active, I was invited to join a triathlon team (a scant twelve years ago - but a lifetime the way I feel now). Biking, swimming, running and weight lifting machines. Also my floor exercises.

Seems like another me. See PM or email for TBC.

Your photo IS inspiring, as different as we are. In that position, the skis almost look like an amputee-marathon runner in a recent NYTimes photo. Her running prosthesis is one of those loopy looking things - kind of like a scythe.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Up-date on limitations questions - hope people look instead oifstarting a new thread

This is crucial. I go through my day now trying to imagine what I could and couldn't do "afterward" and it's HARD.

What about carrying things - laundry, groceries. shopping....anything?

Right now, I end up really hunching over to carry anything large in front with both hands, and it hurts just on the side. Even shopping bags.

And what about low step-stools? Not right away I know, but without them (having shrunk, especially) I can't reach anything but the lowest shelves above my kitchen counters and likewise, throughout my house whose storage is heavily dependent on shelving.

Last (for today)

What about bed making?
      Mopping up spills? Cleaning broken glass? (Trying to think of things so routine I couldn't wait for a weekly or biweekly housekeeper even if I splurge on one).
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Back-out, I am just over 6 weeks post op and can do just about any standard household task now within reason, except carry anything per the docs orders. You will be surprised at how quickly you find ways to get back to "normal".

Rich
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
        A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
        Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
        Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

For me its getting in and out of my car (camaro)and I have to rely on my mirrors.Putting shoes and socks on if I have jeans on its easier because I can pull my foot up to my knee with my jeans.The only thing I cant do is clip my toes nails,and shaving my legs is hard, I duck tape my razor to a plastic stick.When I pick things up off the ground I go down on one knee.But Its all good my pre op pain is gone. I do have pain here and there but nothing like I had before surgery.
          Aug.17,09 Anterior
          Aug.20,09 Posterior
          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
          Cedars-Sinai
          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
          Husband married 30 years
          3 kids 29,28,25
          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Sheri, when I was at your stage, I couldn't clip my toenails either, nor shave my legs without the razor taped to a long handled wooden spoon. But in the last few months, I've regained some extra flexibility I wasn't expecting and I can do those things now.

I didn't mind having the vacuuming done, the bath and shower scrubbed, etc. but now I do everything.

There are still some things that are awkward, getting in and out of my car - though I do it much faster now. I am trying to learn to use the mirrors rather than swivelling in my seat. Judging distance in the mirrors I've always found difficult.

Amanda, making beds is no problem, mopping floors ditto. Cleaning up broken glass, well, using the broom first, then kneeling and using the hearth brush and shovel is how I would do it.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Getting in/out of car

Hi,

My doctor mentioned it would be difficult getting into and out of the car. What part exactly is difficult, and could it be helped by say a taller car (wagon or SUV)?

Pondering all these things too...
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                Hi,

My doctor mentioned it would be difficult getting into and out of the car. What part exactly is difficult, and could it be helped by say a taller car (wagon or SUV)?

Pondering all these things too...
                I was wondering that as well

Melissa

Comment

Getting into and out of a low car is harder than SUV. For me, it's just the scrunching down you have to do and then swinging your legs in that's hard. I have no issues riding in a car for any distance. But getting up and down from sitting or in and out of bed is still a little rough and am still using my elevated toilet seat. I am at 13 weeks tomorrow. My pain issues right now are in my knees and esp. my one hip. I wore shoes that weren't flat for the first time in the last few days (by no means, heels--those days are long gone) and I think that made the hip stiffness worse. I can shave my legs by sitting in the shower and/or propping my leg up. Am hoping if I "pass" my next check-up and things are fusing, that I will get some PT. Lower back muscles and abs are really weak. I understand they don't start PT until they know there's some stability in the spine but I feel so good otherwise, it's frustrating. I have no trouble with shoes and socks--prop my leg up to put them on or prop my foot on the frame of the bed and kind of tie my shoes on the side. I put on pants at first by sitting on the bed and sliding my legs into them. Started with sweats and things with elastic waistbands. Can't put the sheets on the bed or clean up floor messes too easily. My husband helps with anything heavy going into the oven. My grabbers are my lifesavers. I have them upstairs, downstairs and in the car. I occasionally take some tylenol or a muscle relaxant at bedtime esp. if I did a lot that day. In the scheme of things, though, this post-op stuff is mimimal compared to where I was with pain before. Am so much better off and my energy level is great. You just find ways to adapt or ask someone for help if you need it!

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

JenniferG,thank you you give me hope.I watched all my Grandkids full time before surgery.My goal is to be able to watch them again full time
                    Aug.17,09 Anterior
                    Aug.20,09 Posterior
                    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                    Cedars-Sinai
                    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                    Husband married 30 years
                    3 kids 29,28,25
                    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
                      (a) I bought myself an extra wide rearview mirror which gives me more visibility since turning my head around to back out of a parking space is no longer doable.
                      (b) I still use a sock aid to get socks on. It’s just easier and quicker. Gave up on pantyhose. I like opaque hose with skirts during winter, but it’s a struggle to get them on. I bought walking shoes with Velcro straps…so much easier than trying to tie my shoes. I can do it, but the tie is off to the side. I have no other problems with other pieces of clothing.
                      (c) No problem there.
                      (d) It helps to use a grabber to retrieve laundry from washer and dryer especially during early recovery. Grabbers come in handy for lots of routine things.
                      (e) I don’t burn my pots. Loading a dishwasher can be difficult during early recovery. I have no problem now.
                      (f) I don’t squat. I get down on one knee.
                      (g) Can you get yourself an electric garage door opener? I would never attempt to manually open a heavy garage door.
                      (h) I can sit all day with no problem.
                      (i) I keep a little step stool in my kitchen to reach things on high shelves. But I will not get on a ladder. I call a friend if I need assistance with anything that requires climbing a ladder.
                      (j) I have no problem lying on my back. I was a stomach sleeper so it took some getting used to. But now I alternate between my side and back. A good comfy bed is in order.

I live alone too and I was able to be independent at two months. Since my surgery almost two years ago, I’ve never fallen or encountered any problems that I could not handle. And if I did, friends were just a phone call away.
                      wow is that reasuring - how about sexual activity after a year - I am 62 but I'm not dead yet - my degree is 75

Comment

Re: cars.

It sounds like one has to park with GREAT care.
                        For instance I guess parallel parking is out for the nonce. When I've had to, I always check physically on both sides, lately especially. I just got my car back from three weeks in the body shop having had a collection of claims filled at once. My Camry looks new! For now...

(God Bless State Farm - at least, my saintly agent! Two went back to '06 - reported but I hadn't gotten around to taking care of them. Twas a rough period...)

Checking like that, I can't do after this surgery.

OTOH, with nose in parking, one has to be super careful not to park too close to a neighboring car. Not needing all this fancy maneuvering in and out of the seat, anyhow!

*Big sigh*

PS I'll bet legally we might not be allowed to drive while we can't see cars on our sides. "Don't ask; don't tell" !

Comment

Working...
                        X